News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 Cadillac series 62 sedan emergency brake help

Started by thinxman, December 17, 2017, 04:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thinxman

Hello, this is my first 53 project.  This car has been sitting for 34 years in a damp leaky garage.  All 4 wheels are locked and i think the e-brake was set when it was stored.  Im looking for ways to undo it so I can roll the car. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you

Tommy

Quentin Hall

34 years is a long time. Release the brake and take the car out of reverse which is park on the hydramatic cars.( there was a fire at the hydra mastic plant aug 12 53. Subsequent cars had Buick dynaflow boxes. Dynaflow cars have Park on the selector.
    With brake released and neutral selectedyou should be able to rock the car and if not you may have no option but to drag it unless you can pull apart each drum manually.
If you must drag it make sure to put the chain around the lower control arm or the diff. Don’t put it around the bumpers as they can get damaged.
     Sometimes a drag might be enough to break free the offending stuck shoes.
Definitely make a full brake rebuild your first port of call.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Quentin Hall

The park brake only holds the two rear drums. So if the fronts are stuck then it is the shoes binding on rusty drum faces. Spray some penetrant in to help loosen the grit and grime.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

V63

You could ‘try’ and retract  each brake adjustment star wheel until it bottoms. If ithey will even turn. You could also remove the wheel cylinder retaining bolts, and grind the hold 2 shoe hold down pins from the back side. This might allow enough movement to pull the drums. If you drag the car...it’s best to do so in reverse. Drum brakes ‘leverage’ tighter with forward motion.

Your situation sounds like these wheels are REALLY seized!

I found myself in this conundrum once. I was traveling and trying to transport the vehicle home. I tried everything to get the drums s off. Finally, What I did was shatter the drums with a hammer. The inside assembly looked like all was coated with coffee grounds (rusted). My subject was a 1958 Cadillac. With the outer drums ‘gone’ the wheels were free to turn.

Quentin Hall

Post some pics of the cars position where it is and where the access for a tilt tray is. You are best getting the car up on a hoist so that you can get access.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

thinxman

thank you for the replies.  One of these weekends i will try to get the brakes free.  I got the car last week and this past weekend i spent looking the car over and putting air into the four flat tires.

thank you

tommy