News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Blue center caps

Started by D.Smith, December 18, 2017, 01:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.Smith

Anyone out there have a 1987-88 Coupe Deville Spring Special Edition?    In blue?

At least that is what I think these fit.   Another friend said he thinks they are from a 1985 Eldorado or Seville Commemorative Edition.

Anyone know for sure?   There is no part number on it.    3.5 inches across.

smokuspollutus

Dave, those are for the newer style wire caps on the mid to late 80s cars. The Eldo and Seville Commemoratives had a different style center that was larger with a more prominent chrome surround, and are gold in color. They also pop in differently.

I would say it is for a spring special car, but there was a guy selling stick on centers in black, blue and I believe red some time ago. I think it will be apparent what it is once you have it in your hand, and the only reason I mention it is these seem to not have the halo effect that the standard red centers do-but that might be just how the factory did the oddball color caps.

D.Smith

Thanks and you are right!   I just found my brochure for the 1988 Spring Special Edition Coupe Devilles and it shows them.

They came in blue, white or red to match the exterior color. 

You are also correct on the 85 Eldorado and Seville Commemorative ones.  I totally forgot they were 15 inch wheel covers vs, the 85-88 Devilles used a 14 inch cover thus a different center cap.

slowpoke17

I have a sapphire blue edition and the center caps look different from the one above. In the close up you can see rings within the blue.

John Federico

slowpoke17

Quote from: D.Smith on December 18, 2017, 09:17:58 PM
Thanks and you are right!   I just found my brochure for the 1988 Spring Special Edition Coupe Devilles and it shows them.

They came in blue, white or red to match the exterior color. 

You are also correct on the 85 Eldorado and Seville Commemorative ones.  I totally forgot they were 15 inch wheel covers vs, the 85-88 Devilles used a 14 inch cover thus a different center cap.

Hi Dave, you mentioned you have a brochure for the 1988 Spring Special Edition. Can you send me a picture of the cover or add it to this post? I've only had the car for less than a year and have been searching for information of build count, what was included in this package etc. and haven't been able to find anything. I didn't know there was a brochure devoted to the Spring Special Edition. I have the 40 page 1988 Cadillac sales brochure for all models but there is no mention of this option or any photos of it.
John Federico

D.Smith

Hi John!    Gorgeous car you have there!

The brochure shows two blues were available.   Light and Dark Sapphire blue. That would explain the two different center caps perhaps.   

The "Spring Editions" had their own fold out brochure.     Here are a few photos of mine.

D.Smith

Deville option package B was included in the Spring Edition package.
It consisted of:
6-way power passenger seat.
Power trunk lid pull down.
Front and rear carpeted floor mats.
Trunk mat.
Door Edge guards.
Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors.
Twilight Sentinel.
Power passenger seat recliner.
Power outside mirrors. (Car color)

Plus the extra items and features listed below on the brochure.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

We watched Home Alone III last night and enjoyed seeing the nice 1979/85 Eldo the "lady next door" drove. It was only in a few scenes. Red with a cabriolet top. Too bad they couldn't have woven it into the plot.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

slowpoke17

Quote from: D.Smith on December 26, 2017, 08:25:45 AM
Deville option package B was included in the Spring Edition package.
It consisted of:
6-way power passenger seat.
Power trunk lid pull down.
Front and rear carpeted floor mats.
Trunk mat.
Door Edge guards.
Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors.
Twilight Sentinel.
Power passenger seat recliner.
Power outside mirrors. (Car color)

Plus the extra items and features listed below on the brochure.

Thank you Dave for the images. I have both 1988 brochures with the complete line up (19 and 72 pages) and neither one has the pull out section. Funny thing is there is also very limited information on the internet on the Spring Edition so getting this was very helpful, thank you again.
John Federico

slowpoke17

Quote from: slowpoke17 on December 26, 2017, 02:34:28 PM
Thank you Dave for the images. I have both 1988 brochures with the complete line up (19 and 72 pages) and neither one has the pull out section. Funny thing is there is also very limited information on the internet on the Spring Edition so getting this was very helpful, thank you again.

Hi Barry, I had a 1985 Eldorado, I wish I never sold it as the car just had a nice style to it. Nice ride, decent power and very comfortable. It was the same color as the one in the movie. I'm very happy with my DeVille but I do miss the Eldorado.
John Federico

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: D.Smith on December 18, 2017, 01:35:36 PM
Anyone out there have a 1987-88 Coupe Deville Spring Special Edition?

These, or quite similar, were sold in the Philadelphia region as "Liberty" editions.

slowpoke17

Mine was sold in Hartford CT as a "Presidential Edition". I believe Boston had the Patriot Edition.
John Federico

D.Smith

Quote from: slowpoke17 on December 26, 2017, 04:42:57 PM
Mine was sold in Hartford CT as a "Presidential Edition". I believe Boston had the Patriot Edition.

Yours came from Thomas Cadillac?     I live in Hartford.   

That brochure was a separate piece.  It wasn't a pull-out from the standard brochure.   These special "Spring Editions" are done far into the production year so they aren't ready in time to be  included in the regular brochures.     

slowpoke17

Quote from: D.Smith on December 26, 2017, 10:36:39 PM
Yours came from Thomas Cadillac?     I live in Hartford.   

That brochure was a separate piece.  It wasn't a pull-out from the standard brochure.   These special "Spring Editions" are done far into the production year so they aren't ready in time to be  included in the regular brochures.   

Hi Dave, actually it was originally sold at Voloshin Cadillac in New Haven, another caddy dealer that closed its doors. Thanks for the information on the production time. That makes sense with the brochures. Someone else told me they sent the cars to local ASC shops to be converted. From the list above the only added items I can see on my car are the Presidential emblems on the fender and rear pillar.

John Federico

D.Smith

Those "Presidential " emblems are definitely not part of the package.   Could be Voloshin added them so they could add a little extra to the price.

ASC did most of these specialty type projects for all of the big three.  They would be sent right from the factory to have the faux tops put on.  I'm not sure if the two toned interiors were done on the factory line or swapped out when at ASC. 

Big Apple Caddy

I've seen "Presidential Edition" Cadillacs over the years which were clearly aftermarket roadster roof, classic grille, etc packages but never one rebadged from a Spring Edition until this one.  I wonder if this car was a one off by this particular dealer or did a network of Cadillac dealerships in the northern CT area sell Spring Editions as Presidential Editions similar to how Liberty Editions were sold in the eastern PA, NJ and DE area?  I suppose this rebadging could've also been done later on by the original owner or a subsequent owner.

slowpoke17

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on December 27, 2017, 10:36:03 AM
I've seen "Presidential Edition" Cadillacs over the years which were clearly aftermarket roadster roof, classic grille, etc packages but never one rebadged from a Spring Edition until this one.  I wonder if this car was a one off by this particular dealer or did a network of Cadillac dealerships in the northern CT area sell Spring Editions as Presidential Editions similar to how Liberty Editions were sold in the eastern PA, NJ and DE area?  I suppose this rebadging could've also been done later on by the original owner or a subsequent owner.

I think you're on the right track where perhaps local Hartford dealers may have had the spring editions altered to include the Presidential emblems. Thanks to Dave, I printed the brochure and the car is exactly as promoted in the literature with the exception of the added emblems. Seems like a lot of trouble but it probably allowed them to increase the asking price and not really add to the bottom line. I don't think the original owner added the emblems, she was around 60 when she retired and bought the car. When she passed away at 89 I bought it from the family member who inherited it, the car only had 22K miles on it. 

John Federico

Big Apple Caddy

All things considered, a local dealer association program would probably make the most sense although I don't think that additional markup would’ve been the motivation.  Simply adding "Presidential" badging to an already dressed up Caddy with cabriolet roof, 2 tone leather, gold trim, etc wouldn't or shouldn't amount to much.  I'm pretty sure the Liberty Editions were priced exactly the same as the Spring Editions.

If it was a regional dealer thing, I'd be curious to know what area these "Presidential" editions were marketed - northern CT?  Northern CT and western MA?  You'd think they would’ve chosen a name more relevant to the area than "Presidential."

slowpoke17

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on December 28, 2017, 11:43:21 AM
All things considered, a local dealer association program would probably make the most sense although I don't think that additional markup would’ve been the motivation.  Simply adding "Presidential" badging to an already dressed up Caddy with cabriolet roof, 2 tone leather, gold trim, etc wouldn't or shouldn't amount to much.  I'm pretty sure the Liberty Editions were priced exactly the same as the Spring Editions.

If it was a regional dealer thing, I'd be curious to know what area these "Presidential" editions were marketed - northern CT?  Northern CT and western MA?  You'd think they would’ve chosen a name more relevant to the area than "Presidential."

I totally agree on the relevance question. When I bought the car I was curious myself as to why "Presidential"? CT only had one president born there, George W. I thought maybe NY as it had 7, MA had 4 but they had the "Patriot" edition which fits. Of course the "Liberty" name goes with Philly. Who knows?
John Federico