News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

OMG - XT 5 Ad

Started by 59-in-pieces, December 19, 2017, 04:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

59-in-pieces

I was trolling on the TV last night when I came across this ad for the XT5.
Maybe someone of some influence and common sense or a sense of the now picked up our long time refrain - get with the times and set yourself apart if you want a larger share of the market.

God for bid Cadillac jumped in with both feet, but a tiny toe to test the waters - brave I say.
The demographic of this audience is definitely younger and going some where - and maybe in a Cadillac.

See for yourself and add your perspective to this departure from dirty streets and old tall building backdrops, with funky old tunes.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wCkh/cadillac-seasons-best-fully-dressed-2018-xt5-song-by-lizzo

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

STS05lg

Steve, that commercial has been playing in the Washington DC media market for weeks. Cadillac as a fashion statement for the young and upwardly. Remember in our time it was Arnold driving through the gates of Augusta. Same idea just different visuals...  :)  :)

James Landi

Yes--- as the young voice says---" works for me"... and putting out all of the accessory (dare I say) bling from which to select adds to my appetite for the car, and a passion red car at that, and a young, attractive woman gawking at the car--- hell, this is the way this old man feels in his "infrared" XLR, and the way you feel in your decades old Eldorado, or Fleetwood, and...  yes--- "works for me."

Quentin Hall

Yawnnnnnn. Sorry guys . I fell asleep. What did I miss?
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

The Tassie Devil(le)

Well, it didn't inspire me to even think about going out to even look in the showrooms.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Quentin Hall

You are so old and irritable Bruce.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

STS05lg

Bruce/Quentin,

Maybe this commercial will get you going, it starts slow but is worth a watch ;D ;D ;D ;D

https://youtu.be/26_4FjCYuFY

Jason Edge

I will echo James' sentiment and the song's lyrics and say it works for me!   There is only so much you can do in 30 seconds and think this ad is Spot On. Now boring ads.. .that would be those Dare Greatly ads!  My wife has a 2012 SRX Performance Edition and we will be looking for a replacement down the road, and ads like this will definitely keep our focused on an XT5 as a replacement.  So yeah, works for me!
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

The Tassie Devil(le)

I agree that the '74 Ad is far better, and not a flashy-image-changing mess of the new one.

I don't know how Arnold got to drive his Caddy onto the Golf Course as when I tried it at a Charity Function, they wouldn't let me.   My '60 CDV had the bag of clubs in the trunk, and I explained that I had my own "Caddy", but it was banned from the course.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Glad I at least saw it. With only letters and numbers in its "name" I didn't know if it was a big car, small car, suv, etc.
Sure wish they would give these things a real name.
Just my opinion.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on December 19, 2017, 11:06:38 PM
Glad I at least saw it. With only letters and numbers in its "name" I didn't know if it was a big car, small car, suv, etc.
Sure wish they would give these things a real name.

Cadillac model names starting with XT, like XT5, are all crossovers.  Its model names starting with CT, like CT6, are all cars.

As much as I also prefer real names for Cadillacs for nostalgic reasons, I don't think they necessarily help with recognition.  I'm sure many recognize what model Audi's A6 refers to or Mercedes' E300 refers to or Lexus' ES350 refers to or Ford's F150 refers to, etc and those names are alphanumeric like CT6 and XT5.  Unless Cadillac goes and quickly changes its naming convention again, these new CT and XT names will eventually become very familiar too.  At least they clearly identify cars versus crossover and position, by the number, in the respective lineup.  Without even seeing the vehicle, I know that a CT5 will be a car positioned below the CT6, a CT8 would be a car positioned above the CT6, a XT4 would be a crossover positioned below the XT5, and so on and so on.

WTL

If you can remember the language, it's logical.  But with a name - a real name - you feel it through natural association.  True it will take time with the crossovers.  Cadillacs been in business well over a hundred years - we have the time. 

But CTS-V could be christened Eldorado, and it would mostly fit, and quickly be absorbed. 

Ok, now that I beat that dead horse again, on to the commercial.  I'm an old millennial.  I think it's a bit better than the previous commercials, but the car is shaped like an egg, or worse, a blinged minivan. When I see these new cars I always try to ask myself what it will look like under a layer of dust and about 8 years of neglect.  That's how you tell a beautiful car from an ugly one.  Pontiac Aztek didn't fully reach its potential for fugliness until you had Walter White running it through ditches, and over drug dealers.  But the 77 Coupe DeVille he drove in the very last episode of Breaking Bad was still beautiful. 

I agree with Big Apple Caddy's continuing refrain that there does need to be a smaller SUV.  I just think that the Art and Science language doesn't lend itself to a very attractive one, even if you do step up on the chrome. 

The Tassie Devil(le)

The simple naming of a vehicle with the least number of letters and numbers really makes texting easy when people want to describe what they have purchased, or leased.

Try typing Cadillac Sedan deVille on a phone when one can get by with whatever the letters and numbers the factory now lists them.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: WTL on December 20, 2017, 10:56:23 AM
If you can remember the language, it's logical.  But with a name - a real name - you feel it through natural association.

I don't know that real model names would necessarily be meaningfully absorbed better for the average consumer over time than alphanumeric ones.  Mercedes-Benz modified model names a few years back (e.g., ML became GLE, GLK became GLC, GL became GLS, SLK became SLC, etc) and sales for Mercedes continued to rock and roll with record numbers in the U.S.  I think consumers, especially younger ones, are so used to luxury models having alphanumeric model names that real names seem almost out of place, or perhaps too old school.

Lincoln bringing back the Continental name has pleased some but is it really helping sales that much or at all?  The Continental isn't selling much better than Cadillac's more expensive CT6 and the CT6 has the XTS to compete with in the same showroom.  Is Lincoln's return to real names more of a sign that they feel the brand is down closer to Buick level, which uses real names, than Cadillac, Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, etc which all use alphanumeric names?  Not trying to knock Lincoln, just throwing a theory out there.

The nostalgic me would love to see real names for Cadillacs again but I have doubts that it would make a positive difference in appeal or sales for the brand.  Names like CT6 and XT5 just seem to "fit" better in the global luxury automotive landscape.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on December 20, 2017, 05:55:50 PM
The simple naming of a vehicle with the least number of letters and numbers really makes texting easy when people want to describe what they have purchased, or leased.

Try typing Cadillac Sedan deVille on a phone when one can get by with whatever the letters and numbers the factory now lists them.

That may be true but relatively short alphanumeric model names among luxury cars (e.g., Acura, Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Jaguar, Lexus, Mercedes, Saab, Volvo, etc) were quite common before texting became popular.  At best, I would consider it a side benefit.

Also, one could text Cadillac Sedan deVille as Cad SDV or even simply SDV.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on December 20, 2017, 06:33:18 PM
....... among luxury cars (e.g., Acura, Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Jaguar, Lexus, Mercedes, Saab, Volvo, etc) ..........
Boy, I wouldn't refer the word "Luxury" with any of these cars, apart most probably the top high-end of some ranges.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on December 20, 2017, 06:37:17 PM
Boy, I wouldn't refer the word "Luxury" with any of these cars, apart most probably the top high-end of some ranges.

Luxury in the sense of where Cadillac largely competes.