News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1940 Spark Plug Wires

Started by Ian CLC # 20080, December 29, 2004, 02:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian CLC # 20080

The plug wires for my 1940 Series 62 Coupe are now very tired and the cloth covering is starting to disintegrate. So its time to replace. But what with? My 1940 "Engineering and Craftsmanship" brochure has a drawing of an engine, complete with wires, but there is little of the fine detail that I need to show me exactly whats needed to replicate the original. Were the orignial wires cloth covered and laquered, or were they rubber covered? If cloth covered and laquered, what color and tracing was used? If rubber can I assume they were black?

The engine bay wiring loom is still very serviceable.

As usual your help is very much appreciated

Regards and Happy New Year, Ian.

Ian CLC # 20080

Hi Don,

Thanks for your reply.  I think Ive got the correct brackets for my 40.  Originally it was fitted with the incorrect ones but I found one on a 38 motor and was able to fashion a mirror image for the other side.  The parts manual says that they are the same from 38 to 40 and my 40 brochure illustration shows brackets like the ones I now have so they should be o.k.

However the brochure also appears to show the color of the brackets to be the same as the aircleaner, fan blades etc - i.e. black.

Regards,  Ian.

Ian CLC#20080

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your input.  Ive been able to obtain 90 degree plug wire ends at a swap meet here in Australia so Ill be using those when building the new wire set. Regarding the spacers, my car had the remains of a set so I have been able to use them as a model to fashion new ones.

Regards,  Ian.

Don Boshara #594

Since the brackets are held in place by the head bolts it seemed reasonable to me that they were painted along with the engine, however......