News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Wire wheels for my 51

Started by Archie Calise, January 03, 2005, 08:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archie Calise

Heres my problem.  Ive seen many 51s with  "retro-fitted" 53 style Kelsey Hayes wire wheels and I think they look great.  I had a set, and my mechanic informed me that they wouldnt mount properly, and advised against them.  Maybe the other cars Ive seen have different wire wheels from what I was trying to have mounted, but Im unclear as to what guys are using.  If any one has a 51 with wires, could you please email me or respond with what youve got, and / or where I might procure some???  Are they the Coker company wheels?  
Thanks very much,
Arch  clc#17647    

Dave Ventresca

The brakes, drums etc. on 50 and 51 cadillacs are 11", whereas the 52 and up are 12". You need to go to the boneyard and get all four backing plates, drums, brake shoes, cylinders,springs, etc. off a 52, 53 54, 55, or 56 series 62 caddy.  I did a conversion once and thats the only way to fit 53 wire wheels to your car.

Archie Calise

Gotcha,
Thanks for the response.  I had a feeling thats what was happening since my mechanic is usually right on.  Can you mount radial tires to those wire rims w/o using tubes???
Thanks,
Arch

Robt.Vonheck in sandiego calif.

Yes, in so long as the wire-wheels you obtain have the internal-rim band of Urethane-sealant upon the otherwise exposed spoke-ends;  --and if they are older rims which didnt come with the Sealant-band you can simply make such a permanent Sealant-band yourself, by applying a tube of GOOP -brand Urethane-glue from HomeDepot (would require a tube of GOOP each rim, which you will find is a messy job smearing on; -but that is what latex/vinyl-gloves are for, and do it outside where the vapors will not harm you);  --is a much better and safer solution than fitting radial/Inner-tubes...
 ~Bob vH  

Robt. Vonheck

Daves information about the retrofitting of 52-56 Cadillac backing-plates & Brake-components to the earlier Caddies is great advice for anyone who is  intending to drive their veteran-Caddie extensively on todays highways (or down mountain roads); --as that added inch of Drum-diameter indeed adds greatly to your stopping-power, and you may be able to still use your existing Master-cyl. (for sure if you reuse your earlier Wheel-cyls. with the later Brake-shoes), and dont add any of the later sissy/power-assist crap, as it does nothing to improve your stoping-power (is an idea they came-up with for petite-ladies in high-heel shoes you see,  -and can be very dangerous if you loose the power-assist because the related master-cyl does not have the same mechanical-advantage so will barely stop without the booster operating;  ---again a terrible idea that even today should be an option for sissies only)...    ~Bob vH