News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hourly rates for restorations

Started by Chad Oolman, January 03, 2005, 09:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad Oolman

I recently talked with the owner of a body / restoration business about doing some work on a 58 Cadillac, they do very nice work from what I have seen.  He told me they charged $50.00 per hour.  Can anyone tell me if this is typical?

Johnny

Quote from: Chad OolmanI recently talked with the owner of a body / restoration business about doing some work on a 58 Cadillac, they do very nice work from what I have seen.  He told me they charged $50.00 per hour.  Can anyone tell me if this is typical?

I dont know if it is typical, but be very careful before you enter into getting work done by a restoration business.  Im not trying to say they are scam artists, but do check out the businesses past history and try to get references.  What I am referring to is make it clear what work you want done, and get an estimate.  Many times when doing a restoration, other work might be needed when the intial work is begun, that wasnt evident in the beginning.

Joe Abernathy #17524

Sounds cheap to me.  Most shops I know charge between 65 and 75.  We charge $75.  Thats a deal when you figure the dealerships charge around $120 per hr.

Brian Rachlin

Chad,

Try to get a firm price versus an hourly basis.  $50.00 an hour is not bad, but whos to say how much of that hour is on your car?

There are many quality shops out there, but they are for people with deep pockets.

Also, I have heard of people getting charged for time spent on the phone, ordering parts, driving to the hardware store, etc.

Monitor the work, demand photos, and visit often, bringing snacks and goodies for the workers.  If they think you are an easy mark, you will get overbilled for sure.

I had an excellent restoration done by a professional shop, but we had a set price deal, not hourly.

Good Luck,

Brian

Mark

You indicate that some restoration customers get charged for time spent on the phone.  A friend restores old cars and he spends a considerable amount of time chasing parts - should he do that for free?  

He doesnt charge a mark up but he needs some sort of reimbursement for spending a hours chasing the elusive replacement parts that are no longer available new.  

If the owner doesnt want to get charged for that service he could get a list of parts from the restoration shop and provide them himself.  Again, this could be agreed upon at the start of the job.