News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 carburator misterious hose

Started by Diego Montefusco, January 04, 2005, 12:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diego Montefusco

hi all,

once more I am here to probe the collective wisdom and seek help and comfort :-)

this is a picture of the intake manifold and carter carb of my 1960

http://ftp.tiscali.it/60cadillac/carb-front.jpg TARGET=_blank>http://ftp.tiscali.it/60cadillac/carb-front.jpg (pretty sad looking, uh?)

anyway, whats that hose sticking out from the front? and most importantly, is it supposed to be there? I suspect its not.

my car was at some point converted to a closed vent system, it had a non-breathing oil filler cap, a nice hole in the passengers side valve cover with a hose connecting to another nice hole in the lower side of the air filter housing. could this hose have something to do with this hack job?

thank you very much!!

diego

Ed Mobley

Diego,

That is the factory correct PCV valve conversion.  I would suggest you get an oil cap that has a hose barb on it so you can draw filtered air from the air cleaner.  You could also use the original breather cap for an open system, but Im told it will not filter the air properly.

Regards,

Ed

Ed

Drawing air in through the valve cover, while Ive seen that done on some cars, deviates from the original air flow through the oil filler tube.  Id suggest you get a new valve cover and draw air through the oil filler tube.

Mick

Hi Diego.
That hose is the positive crankcase recirculation gases path, along with its properly shown valve PCV inserted on it.
Positive because when the crankcase has pressure due to any internal compression leaks, it opens the valve and gases are sucked by the intake manifold vacuum port under the carburetor, to be burned in the combustion chamber.
That is how it is supposed to be. No misteries there.
If the oil filling cap is converted to non-breathing; some air intake must be provided to the crankcase, and could be the case for the added hole on the valve cover, which is filtered by the air filter.
Both ways it works.
Hope it helps,
Mick

Diego Montefusco

Quote from: Ed MobleyThat is the factory correct PCV valve conversion.  I would suggest you get an oil cap that has a hose barb on it so you can draw filtered air from the air cleaner.  You could also use the original breather cap for an open system, but Im told it will not filter the air properly.

ed, thanks so much.

I would like to revert EVERYTHING back to the original condition (pre factory conversion), since, as Ive probably already mentioned, I am restoring the car and everything will soon be apart anyway! :-)

I already have an undrilled valve cover and air filter housing, and the correct breathing cap.

what else should I do? remove the "plate" with that hose from below the carb... anything else?

thanks!

diego

Ed Mobley

Diego,

I would NOT go back to the orignal draft tube.  Have you had a chance to smell them?  If you search this forum you see a number of folks whove converted to the PCV valve as a form of odor control.  What you have is factory correct as Cadillac offered a kit to convert cars going back to the 50s.

I had to pay $50 just for that carb spacer.

Regards,

Ed

Ed Mobley

But if you insist on going back to the draft tube, Ill trade you my non-vented carb plate for the one you have.

Diego Montefusco

Thanks to everybody who replied! and to all who asked me if I was selling my PCV setup! :-))

I think Ill keep it...

cheers!

diego