News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Need advice when ordering transmission mount for 60 caddy

Started by Ed Mobley, January 01, 2005, 06:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Mobley

Hi All,

Im getting ready to order a new transmission mount for my 60 Caddy.  The original one looks good, but Im getting some vibration upon acceleration that I can only attribute to the rear mount as the front mounts are new.

Here is where I need advice:

A number of places like Steele Rubber will re-vulcanize your original mount for around $75.  However, other places like Kanter and McVeys have new ones for around $40.

Has anybody ordered a rear mount from Kanter or McVeys?  Did it look like a quality part?  Am I better off having my original mount re-vulcanized?

Thanks,

Ed

Jeff Maltby #4194

Ed. I was just at napa auto the other day asking about a 1960 tranny mount for my 49, as they are the same from 49 through 60. They couldnt find a listing for it, so Ill order one from McVeys with no worries Im sure.

Ed Mobley

Kanter has one for $30 and McVeys $43.  Im sure the item from McVeys will be of high quality, but Im curious if the one from Kanter is made by the same company.

Jeff Maltby #4194

Ed Mobley

For peace of mind, Id probably go with the one from McVeys not knowing if the one from Kanter is of lesser quality.

Brad Ipsen

In the discussion of various suppliers of motor/transmission mounts the following information may give some insight into the problems of reproduction parts.  This does not apply directly to your question about a 1960 rear mount but it brings up even more questions.  I have some 1940 factory information from the engineering dept. that instructs the factory floor to make sure they get the right durometer motor mounts in 1940 cars.  They used 3 different durometers of 40, 50 and 60 and had various combinations between the front motor mounts and the rear transmission mount depending on model.  Cadillac would not have gone to all this trouble just to increase the number of parts they needed to stock.  So then the question becomes do the people making the repos even know what the durometer is of the ones they sell and if they know that what was the original supposed to be.  I did find someone who could revulcanize old ones at whatever durometer you requested but the money was maybe triple of what Kanter gets.  That was the Damper Doctor in Oregon.  He has ads in Hemmings.  Just for your info I decided to go the cheapest route using Kanter.  They look nice but I have no idea what the durometer is.

Diego Montefusco

me, on the other hand, dont even know what "DUROMETER" means! :-((  anyone care to explain?

btw, I got my rear mount on eBay for $17.50, I guess if its crap, Ill just trash it and buy another from McVeys or whatever...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2486115681 TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2486115681

thanks

diego

gljeff1@earthlink.net 4194

I just asked my pal in Las Vegas about a Durometer. Its a measure for the softness of rubber for vibration suppression.

Steve

Ed,
Are you positive its not your carrier bearing? More likely to wear out than the tranny mount.
Steve

Ed Mobley

Carrier bearing is new and mount was re-vulcanized by Steele Rubber.  As per my other posts, Im looking at driveshaft geometry as the culprit.

Ed

Jeff Maltby #4194

Ed. Call Wray Tibbs back up and ask him. He has been around a long time in the Cadillac World.

My 2 cents

:<)