News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

eBay is a great resource for the message board

Started by Porter, January 06, 2005, 06:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Stamps 19507

I just wanted to correct this a little.  After trying to get this started the CLC was willing to at least give me/us a chance.  The problem is that I could not get enough members (only 10 needed) at the time to get it formed.  

If I could get 10 memembers to start the Chapter then Im willing to give it a go.  Other wise Ill try and get a Cadillac Last Big Block (472/500/425/368) chapter going as there is enough interest in it.

Also I agree in the interest in the 60s and 70s.  I own two Cadillacs right now.  One what I consider an old school 60 and one a new school 70.  I remember when a post about a 60 would out number a 70 ten to one but lately it does seem like more post are about the newer Cadillacs.  

Stampie

Lou

I dont think its an issue now. But it will be. It happens on every forum out there.  This forum has grown a lot in the 4+ years I have been surfing it. Just look at all the post lately. The issue is the direction this site is taking not where it has been.   Regards,Lou

Randall Ayers McGrew CLC # 17963

Stampie is right...I may not have one but I would love to have them to read.  Understanding only comes from exposure.  If all you are exposed to is that which you already know, then you will learn a whole lot slower.

Michael Stamps 19507

Randall,
  That email I sent to you about the vacuume routing for better performace and mileage was direct information provided by Lynn also.  Personally I thought yes it might help but I was amazed at the difference it made on a 70 SDV.

Stampie

Porter

That is why we spend lots of money and time restoring old Cadillacs, that is our choice.

Any normal person wants nothing to do with these old cars, too much work ,expense and trouble to own but they dont appreciate these old cars.

They make payments and buy (or lease) new ones all the time and are busy with whatever their hobbies are, maybe more time consuming or expensive than our car hobby but more rewarding to them.

Now that Im guilty of starting posts to rival the length and controversy of Dale Jackson Im ready to just lay low and stick to the basics, help with Cadillac restoration.

Porter

Randall Ayers McGrew CLC # 17963

Stampie, you know I would be happy to be a part of any chapter you guys come up with...modified or otherwise.  I own and love ALL Cadillacs of collectable age (I like the new ones but for the life of me....no.....I just cannot find the money to BUY one <G>).  As we all know I have a 1977 Eldo...a 1947 Sedan and a wonderful 1956 62 sedan....all wonderful cars.  I would LOVE a 1960 or a 1965 or...well you get the picture.  

I am by and large an Original kind of guy.  But I can see what you can learn and experience with modifications...the sheer inventiveness, even artistic nature to do so.  No I am not thrilled with hot rods but what the heck?  Its no big deal.

I was thinking today about the year 2012 and how I might be restricted from driving my 1956 Cadillac fossel fuel engine.  I would pull it, restore it and display it, then install an appropriate powerplant and enjoy my car.  I know that sounds like heresy but I would rather drive my 56 than something I do not want.  So modifications make sense.  

Johnny

Derek:  you post about "straying topics" is just one of many of your great satirical posts!!!!  I know that I am not alone in people that enjoy your sense of humor.  You have that rare ability to get your point across with humor and intelligence.  Many of our correspondence has made me have to use the web to decipher your point LOL.  Have you ever read the Philadelphia Daily News sports columnists Bill Conlin?  Each of his columns is masterpiece.  He mixes a history lesson in writing about a "baseball game".  PLEASE continue to post, even if its to "vent your frustration".....

Johnny

Regarding:

" Another thing about the club on a slightly unrelated note is the "high school student-council-like" self-appreciation and back patting that happens at the executive level. There are a lot of unanswered questions I have about that whole thing. It seems there is still a strong contingent of "good old boys" who run the whole show and basically ensure that the 41 Cad is still the most popular and most discussed model in the organization. There is still a strong resistance to modification or even discussion of newer Cadillacs -- witness Stampies troubles getting the Modified Chapter started and approved."

I think this situation is slowly changing, witness the recent "youth movement" the club is undertaking.  I think like any large organization, the boys at the top, get to run the whole show, but I would remind, the show in this case is quite a big undertaking, and they arent going to please everyone.  I have a been a member for almost 25 years and have seen the many changes, mainly good.  In our region, The Valley Forge Region, I have seen more of a shift toward the newer cars of the 60s, 70s and 80s.  I personally know some of the boys at the top, and I have to say, that they dont approach their postion with the "good old boy" mentality.  Everyone of them trys to make the club and region a great experience for ALL members, regardless of the age of the member or the members car.

Derek

Seriously, for Lynn to consider, is putting up a small bare-bones website with the text of his articles on it.  I did it when my convertible top article wasnt being published after almost 6 months.  I felt it was important enough to start putting it out there for people on my own.  Phil Remaker from the CML was nice enough to give me space on his website to post it.  It quickly became the #3 searched item for "scissor top" on Yahoo, and stayed that way for a long time.  It has since dropped a bit and I havent checked where it ranks in many months.

If you have any inclination to get things published whether or not "the man" will assist you, its easy to get exposure on the web.  Its better than posting them here, too, because they wont disappear down the list after a few days.

Derek

Derek

The moderators on the board I believe DO perform excellently and transparently.  I was just suggesting that perhaps instead of registration if trolling, etc., were to become a problem, that it could be solved by stringent moderation.  

At the current time I wouldnt suggest changing anything about the moderation of the board.

Regards,

Derek

Michael Stamps 19507

I would be willing to offer webspace to anyone here willing to put the basic page together.  I will also help in any way that I can to teach them how to do a webpage.  

Derek if you dont mind I would like to mirror your page as two copies is always better than one in the internet age.

Thanks,
Stampie

Derek

Michael,

Mirror away, that sounds like a good idea.  I still get calls and emails from people wanting to read the article because they have a top problem, and I usually refer them to the website.  Having another website to refer them to in case of problems would be excellent.

Derek

Derek

Johnny,

I agree with you, there are always good and bad people in every position, and I know some of the guys who are now on the national Board of Directors personally and they are good guys with newer interests and good ideas.  I think things will change with time and like you say, you cant please everyone all of the time, but you can please some of the people some of the time. :)

Regards,

Derek

Derek

Brian,

Agreed, the EBay experience can be perfectly summed up in the information you have just presented.  Its like anything else, buyer beware.  I have bought good and bad cars out of the newspaper and I have had good and bad experiences on Ebay, and you just have to take the good with the bad and hedge your bets as best you can.

Ill always be available for consultation via email, LOL.  I think maybe I just need to take a break for awhile and see if things are any better when I come back.

Regards,

Derek

Derek

Michael,

Thanks for clearing that up, the last I had heard it sounded like you had basically been stonewalled out of the "Modified" chapter and had switched to the Big Block idea because of that.  I stand corrected.

Regards,

Derek

Derek

"Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in."

John, thanks for your kind words, I appreciate it.  I may be around now and again to add 2 cents to the kitty but I really feel as though for the most part its not worth the hassle anymore, what with the hecklers, etc. that have come to roost here of late.  I can count on both hands the number of really great CLC guys who still post here, a lot of the rest are questionable, and its not worth being hassled just to try to help someone fix their blower motor or something, as often happens.  Theres a lot of sniping taking place lately, sort of indicative of a general loss of courtesy all around.  I always viewed the CLC members as the most approachable and down-to-earth car guys, and for the most part, they still are.  

Lately though the "juice isnt worth the squeeze" when it comes to trying to find the good in the forum.

Regards,

Derek

Derek

I think we have a lot in common just from your statement about being pissed off at most of the world in general, LOL.  Im a pretty easygoing guy and its HARD to get me mad but overblown bureacracy and political nonsense will do it everytime.  In fact, rather than get POd, I generally just tend to walk away.  Ive always been more like the Clint Eastwood character than the Jimmy Stewart role -- Id rather ride off into the sunset than stick around and try to effect change.  

Thats why I figured Id make a short statement to speak for those who just drifted away, and then Id part amicably with an organization which has given me a lot, but which I feel no longer meets my interests or expectations in its current incarnation.

Like you say, it would be nice if the club (if more clubs, in fact) would give up their stigma about modification (Disc brakes??  -95 points!!  No soup for you!) and realized that, to stay solvent in todays world, we need to stick together.  

A good example is how badly the classic car owners in CA are being screwed by the removal of the age exemption for smog checks. Did you know that GM was one of the driving forces behind the bill to remove the exemption?  Theres a great article in one of the recent car rags I was skimming at Wal-Mart that basically laid bare the fact that GM purports to be supportive of car owners while in fact was fully behind and actually instrumental in helping to pass a bill that many of the western states are looking at as a model of how to set their own laws regarding classic car emissions testing.  

The old are getting old, and the young arent getting interested in the old cars, for the most part.  The days of the car club in general will be numbered unless they see that being exclusionary isnt helping anyone.

Regards,

Derek

Derek

Whenever you decide to start messing with welding, let me know.  It will be hard to cut your fender off if you are careful with your reciprocating saw, or if you have to sell your plasma cutter to pay on your stupid...err...student loans, like I did.  LOL.

Regards,

Derek

Johnny

Regarding:

" I may be around now and again to add 2 cents to the kitty but I really feel as though for the most part its not worth the hassle anymore, what with the hecklers, etc. that have come to roost here of late."

Derek, you are wayyyyyyyy too young to throw in the towel because of the discention on the board.  Take it from one that knows, dealing with the hecklers only will sharpen your already abundant talent for the "comeback", hey even Pete Rose took batting practice LOL.

Regarding:

"Theres a lot of sniping taking place lately, sort of indicative of a general loss of courtesy all around. I always viewed the CLC members as the most approachable and down-to-earth car guys, and for the most part, they still are."

Call me the eternal optimists, but I think most of the sniping is nothing more then good old fashion camaraderie.  Take the bunch here put them in a "Cheers" bar with plenty of wings and beer, and I bet we have the time of our life.  Can I be Sammy??

JIM CLC # 15000

01-08-05
Robert, tackle this one. (no pun intended)

...the first one won one one dollar prize...

Good Luck, Jim