News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

55 Eldorado sunvisors

Started by Rex Crews #18304, January 08, 2005, 10:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex Crews #18304

Hello Group,

I have a question for you the group.  Does anyone know if any 55 Eldorados could have been produced with regular sunvisors to match the interior?  I have seen an example that is supposed to original but it does not have the translucent visors.  The Data Book mentions these as standard; however, in Roy Schneiders book there is a factory photograph of an Eldorado that appears to have regular visors.  Can anyone weigh in on this?  I would appreciate hearing from someone direct as I dont check the posts every day.  Thanks!

Chris Arneson

Hi.  As to your question about sunvisors, my Eldo also has visors to match the interior and I have never seen one with translucent visors to my memory.

Regards.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Rex,

After a little investigating I was able to confirm your thought that the polarized plastic sunvisors were standard equipment in all ’55 & 6 Eldorado convertibles and Sevilles, as well as the ’57 Brougham. The sources are the Data and Master Parts Books. I can’t find a reference to verify that ’58 Broughams had them also, but it would be a logical assumption.
I suspect that the ultraviolet in sun light caused them to disintegrate over time and they were replace with the standard type visor. It would be interesting to find out if they held up better in the closed cars than the convertibles.

Ralph

wm link

I have a VERY nice ORIGINAL set from a 54 Eldorado, they were different from the later versions in that they were chrome framed. They were translucent but are without the micro ribbons cast inside. $500 for the set.

Roger A. Zimmermann

The sunvisors on my 57 Brougham are still in good shape. That car was imported in 1958 in Switzerland, and, as you know, we dont have here a climate like California, Arizona and so on. Furtehrmore, since I have that car (1984), it stored in a closed garage.
On the other side, on my 56 Biarritz, they were gone when I got that car in 1986! I could buy repro sunvisors, just tinted plastic with the original supports.

Roger