News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Eldo freeze plug removal/install tricks, whos gotm

Started by Steve Preston #16375, February 20, 2005, 02:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Preston #16375

Well, Mr. Eldos developed a bad freeze plug on the drivers side & I think its the back one.  Looks like the only way to get to it is to pull the exhaust manifold. Ive got a set of brass plugs that I bought awhile ago to the 68 convertible. Should I use the brass ones or try to get one of those rubber plugs into it? I dont plan on pulling the engine this year if I can help it so if the repair only lasts a year or so, thats ok.

Any tips/tricks would be appreciated

wm link

Those rubber ones work pretty good...I had one in a 57 Buick for YEARS!

JIM CLC # 15000

02-28-05
STEVE, if you live where its cold, consider trying a block-heater in the hole. Normally the instructions say to install the heater in the center position, but if it will fit in an end hole, why not,no one is watching.
Good Luck, Jim
P.S. As for tips/tricks,dont know of any.

Mike #19861

Removal of the exhaust manifold is perhaps the only way you can access the plug, and even then it is in an awkward spot.

Make sure you drain all of the coolant. Remove the drain plugs in the sides of the block. This saves a lot of mess. In a shop setting, I would very carefully cut a slot in the plug with a torch, then drive it in sideways. It would usually collapse some during this procedure so removal through the hole is easy. But since this is not an option to you, I would still drive the plug inwards and then extract it through the hole sideways. More difficult but not as likely to damage anything.

Make sure the sealing surface on the block is clean. A block heater is the best way to go as Bill suggested. Installation of new plugs is tricky at best. I always wiped some teflon sealant around the plug to help it slide into the hole and help assure proper sealing. Tighten up the screw (But not to tight as it may crack the retainer) fill up the cooling system and you are off.

Mike

John Serfling 19593

I have installed a block heater on my 70 Eldorado.  The first problem is to get the freeze plug out, which is your problem.  Friends had lots of advice such as punch a hole, insert a screw and a slide hammer.  None of their ideas worked.  Fortunately, no one suggested removing the exhaust manifold.  A lift mechanic at Vail gave me the solution.  

With the car on jack stands I rolled under it on a creeper.  You can see the freeze plugs on the right side fairly easily from below, but the transmission is in the way of your view on the left side (you might have to remove the exhaust manifold).  They are not convenient to reach, but they are reachable.  With a big, honkin screw driver (the biggest you can find) and a hammer in hand, place the blade of the screw driver on the freeze plug at the edge.  Hit the end of the handle with the hammer and the freeze plug should twist, exposing its edge.  Grab the edge with pliers and pull.  It comes out surprisingly easily.

I agree with the others, install a block heater.  Even if the overnight temp is only 40, the car will start and run at a low idle instead of roaring at 1000 rpm.  Put the block heater on a timer and set it for 2 hours before you plan on driving. Unless the overnight temperature is well below freezing, 2 hours is plenty of time.

Good Luck,
John

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday John,

It is good to see that there is another person who removes Freeze Plugs (Welsh Plugs in Australia) the same as I do.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV.

P.S.   No need for Block Heaters in Australia