News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

425cui heads on a -75 500cui

Started by Daniel, February 20, 2005, 03:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

I heard that i can change my 500 heads to 425 heads to get higher compression,how much vill i get? what i can see it aint much difference between them.is there anything else to think about? the engine is in a -75 calais coupe.

Michael Stamps 19507

From what Ive heard it will get around 9.0 CR and gain 30-40 hp depending on other performance parts on the engine.  If I remember correctly you will have to drill out some steam passages but looking at the blocks will show you which ones.

Stampie

Daniel

I`m planning to buy a new camshaft, edelbrock intake manifold and a new carbureator.

Michael Stamps 19507

A cam can be mild to wild.  What ones are you looking at?  The edelbrock intake is good for 99percent of the applications.  I would have the orginal carb rebuilt by a good shop before buying a new one.

Stampie

Daniel

Something between mild and wild.some extra hp.its gonna be my daily driver not a dragracer.vill probably use a holley 780 vacum that i have in my garage,the original carb needs lot of work.

Michael Stamps 19507

Daily driver ... assuming around an MT5 or MT10 cam.  The heads would be a decent swap for you.  That carb is going to cost you mpg vs. spending $200 to have the orginal rebuilt right.

Stampie

PS - Im building a 514, 10.2 CR plus, MT20, and Manual valve body for the trans to put in my 70 SDV as a daily driver.  Different strokes for different folks.

Daniel

Dont know any around that repairs cadillac carbs(i`m from sweden)do you know where i can buy a new one or similar?MT cam is that maximum torque specialities? are they ok?

Michael Stamps 19507

Your carb isnt all that special.  Its a QJet as used on many GM cars from that era.  Any good carb shop should be able to rebuild it.  I know that some of the bigger US shops will rebuild it for you.

Yes MTS ... I bought most of my parts from Al and he is a great guy to deal with.  Hes also a CLC member.  For a street car I would have to say that hes the best.

Stampie

Steve Toth CLC 21939

Stampie,  hows it going.  Its nosgbody....=)

Daniel,  Mike is right about the Qjet. It you find a good rebuilder the qJet is great for the street..  IMHO a properly rebuild Qjet will performe just as well as a Holley on the street maybe even better.  you might want to hop over to http://www.cowboyseven.us TARGET=_blank>www.cowboyseven.us and post a few questions there. Those guys only deal with the 472s and 500s