News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Rear Leaf Springs

Started by Craig Lewis CLC#21155, February 20, 2005, 11:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Lewis CLC#21155

I am rebuilding the rear springs on my 47. Does anyone have the specs for torque on the shackles and center bolt. I am also looking for advice on the axle pads. I bought a set from steel which match excellently to the originals however my top pads had disntegrated so I am not clear on how these were installed. I think the top of the pad had a piece cut out so that the center bolt and bushing that fits into tha axle connected directly however it may have just worn away at this point and the pad which is formed to fit over the center bolt may have fit into the bushing. obviously I am asking because at this time they do not. Anyone know the answer.

While I am at it I have one last question. My labels fell of and I am unclear now which was the right and left spring. Does it really matter and does it matter how the shackles line up. I have a good photo of the left spring before I took it apart and there are two spring shackels to the rear and one to the front on the left side and it looks like from my pics the right side is opposite with two shackles to the front and one to the rear.
Is this right or was I missing a shackle from both sides?

Bill Ingler CLC# 7799

Hi Craig- The pads I got from Steele I just made a small hole in the top pad to fit the head of the spring center bolt, I also did the same for the bottom pad to go around the spring bolt nut. I will post a picture or two for you later in the day. The left or right springs are the same. An original spring had three rebound clips(what you call spring shackels). The part of the spring that has the two rebound clips was to the rear of the car, the one rebound clip is to the front. I believe that if you measure the spring from the spring center bolt to the rear spring eye you will find this distance greater than the measurement from the center bolt to the front eye. The spring in this position will now bolt to the rear axle assembly which in turn is now correctly postioned to accept the drive shaft.I will confirm this when I take the pictures. Here are the specs for the torque, spring bolt 65 MIN-75 MAX, spring shackels bushings 65 MIN-75 MAX, spring U bolts 45 MIN-55 MAX and axle shaft hub nuts MIN 285-MAX 315.This last torque is very important. Unless you have the axle nuts to this spec, each time you shift you could hear a big clunk as the axle shaft and axle key move against the brake drum.If your car`s front end appears to move to the right every time you shift then make sure the spring U bolt nuts are to torque. This condition about drove me nuts when I first got my 47, sure enough the nuts were loose. Hope this helps.  Bill  

Craig Lewis CLC#21155

Thanks Bill, I was going to email you with this question but thought I would try out the new format. This rain has really slowed me down. I had hopedto have the frameand suspension done months ago.

Craig

Bill Ingler CLC# 7799

Hi Craig- Here is one picture of the top and bottom spring pads. I measured from the center spring to the front spring eye about 26 inches, 29 from center bolt to rear spring eye.

http://members.aol.com/inglerfly/SPjpg TARGET=_blank>http://members.aol.com/inglerfly/SPjpg