News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Fog lights on 1950

Started by Dave Grim, February 24, 2005, 08:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Grim

Hey guys iv been getting a lot of good help out of here thanks. Now the fog lights in the front grill have three scews in the crome ring iv taken them out but the light dosent budge is there something else holding them in? You can push on the bulb and it acts like its spring loaded can you help me get the bulb out?.....thanks

JIM CLC # 15000

02-24-05
Dave, sounds like you are on the right track. Just push in on the bulbs to over-come the spring pressure and turn the bulb counter-clock wise.
I would push the bulbs in several times to loosen-up any rust or crud that has formed on the base of the bulbs.
Tip: always change both bulbs.
Good Luck, hope you are not in the dark, Jim
P.S. Even with all the pushing, you may have to pull hard on the bulbs to get them out. (once turned)

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

Dave- A couple of comments to the good advise Jim has already given you. The bulbs if they have been in the lamps for a long time can be a bear to get out. Squirt some 10-40 around the base of the bulb and the 3 small holding springs. Go have a beer and then come back and grip the bulb as close to the base as you can before you twist.Try to rock the bulb as you twist. Try to put the twisting torque as much on the base as you can rather on the small part of the glass around the base.If the bulb is old and stuck, most times it will twist off at the base and you come out with the glass part of the bulb and the you still have the metal base in the lamp. Also the use of a rag helps just in case the bulb breaks. When you install your new bulbs use the same procedure, grip low on the bulb before you twist. You will also find in addition to the crud that Jim talks about, the 3 small springs will have rust and need to be cleaned in order to let you install your new bulbs with ease.

Dave Grim

Thanks guys, I didnt try turning the light that will probably do it. I have a book that tells you a lot, you can change the engine with it but it dosent tell you how to change a bulb..lol the cars like new and theres no crudd so it should come out ok now.I saw a 51 with amber bulbs and thats what i want , they looked nice.Also if you have a sorce for bulbs and the like could you post it the cars still 6 volt ...thanks again Dave.

Roger A. Zimmermann

Dave, the 56-57 fog lamps are identical (but 12V) to yours. The first time I tried to install a new bulb in the socket was not very positive: the glass part turned and cut the wires. One bulb less! I did differently the second time: I took the reflector out of the lamp assembly and, from behind the reflector, I pushed the 3 pins to allow the socket to engage properly and could also turn it without to have to put too much force on the glass. I recommend this practice to every one who ask how to remove and install these bulbs. If the bulb would costs $ 2.00, it would not be a big deal to destroy one, but at the price they are sold now, its better to be careful!
Im not sure, but I suppose that there was a special tool to remove/install these bulbs.
Good luck,

Roger

Art Archambeault

Patience , patience.  On my 49 after trying all the tips offered, I put a pair of pliars on it and let her rip. It was a war between me and that bulb.  It won.  It came out in pieces.
    Cost me 75 dollars to repair, but I got it out.  After that episode, I decided that no matter what problem I encountered, I would take more time. All went well from then on and she is ,after all the work, back on the road.