News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

39 5019 Sadan starting problems

Started by Bob, March 04, 2005, 12:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

I have been trying to start the car after body off resteration I have power to coil, engine is turning over and generator is giving a faint surg of energy. I have looked at the distributor and the points are opening and closing properly but have no spark to plugs. I do know that six volt is a slow cranking car and have tried helping the jump with 12 volt battery this does help cranking but no spark to plugs doesnt help to fire engine. Looking for help in my endevers.

Porter 21919

Bob,

With the key on you should get a spark at the points when you open and close them.

If you have juice at the coil it should provide a spark at the points. If not check all your electrical connections and maybe have your coil tested or try another one.

Im no expert on the 39s or any of the old flatheads, at the very least well bring your post up to the top.

HTH,

Porter

Jeff Maltby #4194

1. Breaker points oily,dirty or burnt=replace points.
2. Condenser defective=replace.
3. Battery discharged=charge.
4. Primary wiring circuit connections loose or dirty=clean-tighten.
5. Coil defective=replace.
6. No primary current to points=Check ignition switch,coil,resistor and wiring.
7. Defective coil to dist cap plug wire=replace.
8. Defective rotor and or dist cap=replace.
9. Defective plug wires=replace.
10. Breaker plate not grounded=replace or tighten ground wire.

John Washburn

Bob,

Coils do go bad, but first check that the interior of the coil is not green, if it is bad things happen. If it is clean it.

If this is a 6 Volt system then then the power comes from the igniton thru the coil, no more no less. So make sure the lead with the power (depends if this is a + ground or - ground) has power to it (use a volt meter), if not you got problems at the ignition switch.

John Washburn
CLC #1067