News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

58 cross member installation

Started by Dave Johnson, June 12, 2006, 06:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Johnson

After trans replacement front cross member will not line up. It has angled flanges with 3 bolts on each side. Any ideas?

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Ah ha, sounds like you have the engine mounts fitted to the wrong sides of the lugs on the block.

Try undoing them and repositioning them.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Dave Johnson

Bruce. I drive this daily I never touched the motor mounts. Just jacked it up ,dropped the trans and replaced.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gee Dave, then I cannof assist you any further.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Actually, did the guys that serviced the trans put the correct extension back on, or did they mix up parts with someone elses transmission.

Or, if you have the old trans still, compare the reat extensions.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le)
60 CDV

Tom CLC #21641

Dave , I have the same problem and I only took it off to clean and repaint it.Let me know if you figure anything out.

Paul Flykt CLC # 18899

It sounds like the same problem when I was putting the transmission back in my 57. It took an extra set of hands and alot of prying ang tugging to get the bolt holes lined. If I recall correctly we jacked the transmission up a little, tipped the top of the corss member foward and were able to get one bolt started on each side and then rotate the cross member up into place and put the last bolts in. It was like the cross member was just a fraction of an inch too long or the frame had pinched together. I did not have a problem getting it out but getting it back in was difficult.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Dave,

I had the same problem you, Tom and Paul described, but I was never able to solve it. After thinking about now, I wonder if the cause is flexing of the frame. I did the engine and trans on my ’57 Eldorado using a two post lift picking the car up at the four wide pads on the X frame. This is only a WAG, but given the shape of the frame and cross member, the slightest bending would prevent the cross member from seating correctly. You might try finding and using a ramp type lift that picks the car up on its four wheels. Please post your results when you find something out.

HTH,
Ralph

Rhino 21150

Im guessing here: Looking at the picture of the cars frame in the shop manual I think that the frame would squeeze together with that cross piece removed if you picked up the front of the car under the wheels. Here is the guess part: lift the car with a floor jack under the front engine cross member and the frame may spread back the way it came. Good luck!

Paul Flykt CLc # 18899

I do not know if this helps the forensics or not. I dug out some pics my wife took of our project. I had jacked up the car at the front cross member and supported it with jack stands under the frame in front of the A arms.