News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Grill Mounting Question - 1956

Started by Eric Falk, July 22, 2008, 04:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2danreed

Yes, I have a website and you can click to it right below my avatar photo where it has WWW  or type ArtistDanReed.com in your brouser.

I just turned 41 so I have quite a few working years left myself, but this year's GN is in my back yard.

Dan
Dan Reed

Eric Falk

I think it's likely some 55 grills were carried over to 56.  I suppose there could have also been another supplier that provided grills too and installed the tab for some unknown reason.

I won't be at the GN either because I too have to work..... for at least ten more years. 

Dan,  Please let us know what you see and anything you learn from others.  Enjoy the GN.  I hope to attend the next one held on the left coast.

Eric

Roger Zimmermann

The center bar is different in 1956 compared to 1955; the part number is not the same. I doubt that the bumper and grille assembly is readily interchangeable.
I have 2 '56 cars; they both have that tab, without the clip for a screw.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Roger,

What are your ID numbers? Mine, which did not have the tab, was pretty late production compared with Jose's.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Otto Skorzeny

I'm self employed with my own business. If I'm not there,nobody will be. Then I'll be in trouble with my customers. Oh well.
fward

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: ottoskorzeny on July 26, 2008, 08:22:39 AM

What are your ID numbers?
Sedan de Ville: 5662067655, assembled Feb. 29
Biarritz: 5662089578, assembled April 13

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Otto Skorzeny

So far yours is the latest production # with a tab at 89,578.

What are the numbers of some of you other guys without tabs? Mine was one of the last cars produced and has no tab: 150,453.

I bet we'll be able to narrow it down pretty closely as to when they stopped putting the tabs on.
fward

2danreed

Mine is a series 6219 sedan - serial# 5662-147388
Dan Reed

Otto Skorzeny

Well we're narrowing it down somewhat.
Now we know the cutoff for tabs and no tabs is somewhere between 89,578 and 147,388
fward

Eric Falk

As I mentioned previously I have a 6239 with the tab and the VIN is 5662067170.

jaxops

Quote from: Eric Falk on July 22, 2008, 04:40:38 PM
I've rechromed the bumpers and cleaned and installed the grill.  In doing so I noticed a tab on the bumper that appears to be another mounting point for the grill.  Does anyone know if there should be another mounting bracket in this location? 
I have the same setup on my limousine.  The response about it being a holdover from 1955 on the new 1956 models seems plausible.  Mine aren't welded in, just bolted through to hold it all together.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA