News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

low idle at start up...choke issues?

Started by Quinton Bradford #25053, November 21, 2008, 02:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quinton Bradford #25053

I have noticed when trying to start my 63 Deville, it takes several tries, but finally kicks in and idles very low.  When cold, it tends to cut off and then I have to restart it.  Could this be that my choke is not working?  Is there anything I can to do to lubricate it?  Sorry for the novice questions, but that's exactly what I am....a novice!

Q
Quinton Bradford
1963 Cadillac DeVille - "Gertie"

Otto Skorzeny

Do you own a shop manual for this car? If not buy one as soon as possible. Plenty of cheap ones on ebay and reprints available for $50 -$70.

It might be that you just have to turn up the idle screw but hard starting when cold could be caused by a lot of things. The choke is a good place to start looking - AFTER checking the following:

Perform a basic tune up on the vehicle.

Check or replace the cap, rotor, condenser, points, plugs and wires. Once you've determined that all of these components are in perfect order and adjusted correctly, adjust the carburetor to specs and then set the timing.

After this tune up, you may find that the car starts and runs fine when it's cold. If not, you may have to adjust the choke. If it's a thermostatic choke, the spring may need replacing. if it's an electric choke, the solenoid may be bad.

Fortunately, cars of this vintage are pretty simple and there aren't a lot of things that can go wrong.

Below are links to a manual for sale on ebay. one is on CD if you're in to that. I prefer a book but you can print out disposable pages of whatever you want with a cd.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-63-Cadillac-Shop-Service-Repair-Manual-Book_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34212QQihZ015QQitemZ250328954024QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CADILLAC-1963-Shop-Manual-CD-63-CD-ROM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34212QQihZ016QQitemZ260296493619QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Quinton Bradford #25053

I do have a manual!  I will look into it this evening.

Thanks for the info!!!  It is greatly appreciated!
Quinton Bradford

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Quinton,

The manual is always the best place to start. When diagnosing a problem, always begin with the basics. Make sure the car has gasoline in the tank, and work your way up from there.

Trying to start in middle without verifying that all related systems are operating within specs just leads to frustration and more problems. Since you just bought your car, don't assume that everything is adjusted correctly or new, etc. Check it all yourself.

Was your new car a pampered collector's item when you bought it, a daily driver, or something in between?
fward

Quinton Bradford #25053

I would have to classify it as one of those in-between cars.  It is a beautiful car, don't get me wrong, I am very infatuated with it, but considering it is leaking oil/fluids from various areas, and just some other little things I've noticed about it since I purchased it, I'd have to say it was not a daily driver and may have been fixed up to run just enough for the seller to sell it.

The first several days, the weather was beautiful, so i could cruise with the top down and got many many compliments.  One day it rained and I noticed it leaking water around the roof and windshield...I mean really leaking while I was driving.  OK, so I need to replace the weather stripping and possibly the roof.

Next, the blinkers in the front and back and brake lights suddenly stopped working.  Checked fuses and all is OK, so I'm assuming it is the switch, which I need to remove the steering wheel to really check and/or replace.

Rather than letting it "nickle and dime" me to death, I think I'll keep it in the carport until it is paid off and then once that is done, I can really get into doing some things to it.

Any suggestions?
Quinton Bradford

Otto Skorzeny

With cars like this - neglected but not abused - a little TLC goes a long way.

I bought my 1956 Coupe de Ville 7 years ago with the intent of using it as my daily driver. Like yours, it is a little nicer than most drivers but wasn't perfect. Some of the  electric windows didn't work, the seat didn't work, the brakes were so/so. Oil leaked from various places, etc.

Many of the problems you're discovering can probably be remedied relatively easily. I found that the electrical problems in my car were mainly the result of corrosion on some of the connections. Leaky valve covers got new gaskets. A tune up worked wonders and the car ran so smoothly you could balance a drink on the air cleaner while the engine was running.

Once your car gets used to being driven and used again, some of the problems may fix themselves. Cars that sit in a garage their whole lives sometimes start to fall apart faster than those that get used regularly.
fward

Quinton Bradford #25053

Yes, every few days, I turn the engine over and let it run for a while. I then take it for a spin for a few miles and then back home before someone rear ends me (no brake lights).
I've already put in new plugs and replaced the extremely dirty air filter.  I think next I'll change out the spark plug wires, cap, rotor, condenser and points.  I'm positive the fuel filter needs changing so I will do that as well.  That may be all she needs to get her purring like a big cat!  Due to the sudden death of the blinkers and brake lights, I think my first big project will be to look into the electrical system.  All of the cigarette lighters are disconnected...not sure why, but I notice in the back the lighters are badly corroded with rust.

What was your first move on restoring your car?  Any info from the other readers will be greatly appreciated.
Quinton Bradford

Otto Skorzeny

I'd change the oil and oil filter right away, too. make sure the transmission fluid is nice and pink - not brown. If necessary, drain it and refill it. Flush out the cooling system as well. All of these things are cheap and easy to do and pay immediate dividends.

Clean corroded connections with a nail file or emery board, etc. Your light switch might not be the problem since your brake lights quit, too. I'd go around the car and put all new light bulbs in the signals, etc. Check all the ground connections. Check/replace the flasher module under the dash.

In my case, I'm enjoying my car as long as I can without tearing it apart for a complete restoration. I've fixed things that needed fixing and rebuilt the entire brake system from top to bottom. I take my car on trips of over 1000 miles every year and it works fine.
fward