News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

2014 Cadillac ELR shown at NAIAS today

Started by Rich S, January 15, 2013, 07:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David King (kz78hy)

The Volt system is different than a Hybrid one.  You can not tell if the engine is running or all electric as the engine only comes on to charge the battery.  The battery is always powering the drive train.  The drive train is electric, so the engine just recharges the big battery, and that powers the wheels.

I drive 80 mph to work everyday (when Detroit traffic allows), and depending on temperature, the battery gets me there by itself, or the engine comes on for a portion of the trip once the battery goes below its low limit.  My one way trip is 40 miles.  In the cold weather now, my all electric range is 28 miles, then the engine has to come on and charge the battery to power the wheels.  While driving, the only way to notice the engine is charging is a change on the dash to show that now you are running on gas instead of the battery.  The system is seamless and the calibrations are very, very good.  The car is quite and so smooth.

Believe it or not, this is state of the art stuff.  If Cadillac had a global dealer network in place, the Volt would have been a Cadillac from the start.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Louis Smith

Very nice video and presentation, but obviously it was scripted.  Actually nothing more then a long commercial.  When is the last time an automobile manufacturer introduced a new product, without saying all good things about the product.
   As a consumer, I would be more interested in how much my driving habits would have to change, because of the new technology.  When an individual opts for a diesel car, they have to plan out their trips, and make sure they are going to be near diesel fuel.  Speaking for myself, I will stick with a gas engine, with its more then 100 years of dependability behind it.
        On the plus side it is a very nice looking car.  I only question it being a coupe.  Why not a sedan?

The Tassie Devil(le)

A Sedan would result in more people in it, meaning more internal mass, creating less distance being travelled (for free) and therefore more complaints.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

David King (kz78hy)

Louis,

Since the gas engine charges the battery, your driving range is 300 miles or so.  You drive the car just like any other.  I did 600 mile round trip over Christmas and it blew my accumulated mileage down to to the 130/gallon from 180/gallon.  I bought the car with 1200 miles on it.  When the fuel is low, you fill up at the gas/fuel station just like the vehicle you drive today.  If the car has navigation on it, it will show you the closest fueling stations to you regardless of where you are at and tell you how to get there.

My driving habits have not been altered from the cars I owned before and in 12500 miles, I've used 100 gallons of gas.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Rick Payton

I agree with David the volt is an amazing car!! We love ours and I have already put myself on the list to get an ELR which in no way is a re-badged volt... 4 door vs 2 door and way more style.... I guess it is hard to please everyone. I have a feeling the majority of the people complaining about the ELR or the Volt would never buy one anyway... I will and have bought one and love it so maybe GM is doing something right... ::)
Rick Payton - President- US Distribution
WWW.FLATJACK.COM

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1955 Cadillac Eldorado Seville
1955 Cadillac Coupe Deville
1956 Ford Thunderbird
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham #590
1959 Cadillac Coupe Deville
1964 Corvette Stingray
1967 Cadillac Coupe Deville
1986 Mercedes Benz 560SL
2006 Cadillac XLR
2013 Cadillac XTS
2015 Cadillac Escalade

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Rick,
I don't think the purpose of this thread has anything to do with the Chevrolet Volt, but rather the (just announced) Cadillac ELR.  It was originally announced that the Cadillac would b e "based on" the Volt Architecture, with an upgraded power unit and battery pack for performance which was hinted at being equivalent to the Tesla.  The disappointment expressed (or at least mine anyhow) is that the promise for an "upgrade" doesn't seem to be forthcoming.  At near 80K it is priced at just about the Tesla's newest model with much less performance.  Electric cars ARE the future for urban transportation.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

R Schroeder

I think the only reason to buy one of these cars, either the Volt , or the Cadillac is because you want one. Thats all.
As far as saving money its a lost cause. Price of the car eats up any savings on gas prices. I also believe when you go to trade it in, your going to loose again. People are not going to buy a 8 year old electric car that has no warranty on the battery. They are expensive.
Just cant see any savings to the person who buys it.
Is the Caddy nice looking . Sure , but expensive.
But if you got the money , what the keck.
Roy

Louis Smith

Allow me to make a few more non judgmental thoughts and opinions on this new type of vehicle. 

The technology for electric vehicles goes back to the early 30's.  By the mid 50's electric golf carts gained wide acceptance.  The technology for practical electric vehicles has been around for at least 60 years.  We started experiencing “gas shortages” in the mid 70's, 40 years ago.  Now all of a sudden, there is a rush to judgment to save the planet with electric cars.

I am as green thinking as anyone.  I recycle, take my used oil to redemption sites, properly dispose of batteries etc.  It is my sincere hope that we could eventually have electric vehicles, that give us the same dependability and practicality of present day internal combustion engines.  I don't think using a Cadillac is the way to go for experimentation.  I remember a time when Oldsmobile was the “canary in the cave” for Cadillac.  i.e. the 1966 Oldsmobile Tornado, with front wheel drive,  first out of the gate.  This was followed by the 1967 front wheel drive Eldorado.

Not trying to be political, but, like all new technology, its going to take the rich to accept these cars to bring down the price to the point that the average American can afford one.  I seriously think that those of means of going to be buying either the Volt or the ELR in any great numbers.  I think most people still purchase automobiles out of necessity and pleasure.  Since they are the second biggest expense most of us have, I don't many people are going to spend much more then they can afford.  Of course someone just purchased the original Batmobile for more then $4,000,000.  Go figure.