News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Best old Cadillac you have ever owned?

Started by Caddy Wizard, January 19, 2018, 09:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddy Wizard

I have owned 17 old Cadillac's.  Some were high-end, expensive cars with amazing cosmetics.  Some were survivors that needed work.  Most were very nice cars that I did a lot of work to, drove a ton, and enjoyed very much.

From an operating standpoint (starting, stopping, reliability -- just plain working like a good machine), the two best ones I have had were a 1950 sedan and a 1951 sedan (both were still 6v).  Great operating cars that worked well with no muss, no fuss.

How about yours?  What Cadillac or Cadillac's were your best?
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

My answer is the same....... whichever one my wife likes!
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Any of the five or six '79s that we have had. Absolutely the best model year that Cadillac ever had.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Lexi

Jeff, my wife is not really a fan of the Cadillacs I have owned so in this case i get to choose. My 'best' Caddy is my 1956 Limousine, however the most reliable one I ever owned was my 1969 SDV. Clay/Lexi

Dave Shepherd

My 69 was a great car, but as mentioned, the 79 was bullet proof.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on January 19, 2018, 10:54:06 AM
Any of the five or six '79s that we have had. Absolutely the best model year that Cadillac ever had.

I'll second that.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jeepers Creepers

Only ever owned one, so it has to be, our 1964 Fleetwood Sixty Special.

It sure is special to me.

I find it a very addictive car to drive, with me having it on the road, every and any chance I get.
And ya know what, doesn't matter what sort of mood i'm in, this ol Fleetwood makes the shittiest day turn to gold.

Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

35-709

Of the 7 Cadillacs I have owned (1935 to 1985), 2 of them resto-mods (one of which is my '35, Big Red), it would be hard to choose the best.  I liked them all, except --- the hands down, no contest, worst one, and the one that turned me off modern Cadillacs, was my '85 4100HT Sedan DeVille. 

My best but not necessarily the most reliable would probably be the '60 Coupe I owned for a while, followed closely by my eminently reliable and fun '35 which will be mine until I can no longer drive.
;D 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Caddy Wizard

Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Bob Schuman

Those who know me can predict my answer. The 41 Series 62 sedan was a wonderful super reliable, fun car that always worked just as it should for 50,000 miles until it got totaled, a year Cadillac got everything right. Its only trouble on the road was a water pump failure on the way to Texas in 2006, a two hour repair in a parking lot. In 2014 a 65 and 66 Cadillac did not pass me for 300 miles going to Indiana (I was the lead car).

My 51 coupe is also a joy to drive, and my former 2005 STS Northstar is another that was done right despite being a completely new car that year, so Cadillac can get near perfection when they try.

To the contrary, my 2017 Cadillac CT6 sedan, their new "flagship sedan" was so bad that GM repurchased it after giving up on trying to make its transmission shift acceptably, and replaced it with my choice of a GMC Acadia. No more new Cadillacs for me.

Art, this is a fun topic. Thanks for starting it.

Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

nysdarkblue

For me guys, I have owned  96 Seville SLS, own a 08 DTS and my 90 Brougham which is my favorite. But do respect to my Brougham, I would love to someday own a 4DR 56 Fleetwood, the year I was born. ;)
Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX

The Tassie Devil(le)

For one who resides where Cadillacs are scarce, It has to be my first one (1972 Eldorado Coupe), my second one, (1960 Coupe deVille) and my last one, (1972 Eldorado Convertible).

With two additions, a 1970 Eldorado Convertible (stripped for parts) and a 1978 Eldorado (stripped of its' wheels for the '72 Convertible)

Cannot see me buying any more, but never say never.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Any car I buy, has to be old.   Can't afford new ones. ;)  At least 5 years old, but usually 10 or more years old.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

64\/54Cadillacking

I love each decade Cadillac's for their own unique style and creature comforts, but after a owning a 72 SDV, a 68 CDV, my current 94 Fleetwood Bro, and also my current 64 SDV, out of them all, I would say the 64 is by far the most "Cadillacish" and the best looking, and has the best quality compared to the rest hands down.

I get more compliments on my 64 than I ever did when I owned my 72 and 68. Although the 68 was a beautiful car especially in coupe form, the lines are sexy and smooth. Plus that 472 was awesome! Powerful like a muscle car, yet drove like a Caddy and nobody ever knew you had a monster engine under that hood lol.

My 94 Fleetwood drives great, has been ultra reliable and has loads of interior room inside, but it's honestly not as comfortable compared to a 70's Caddy or maybe even an 80's Brougham because the seats are too firm for my taste. I like my seats soft as a couch in my classics, and when I first got the Fleetwood I was surprised by the uncomfy seats.

Plus its interior quality was typical 90's GM garbage. Cheap plastic wood trim and handles, cheap plain looking leather, and not enough chrome and detail like the Broughams before it. Stylistically it looks imposing and has that long low Cadillac look, but it's not classy nor does it have any of the traditional Cadillac cues going on.

My 64 Caddy is by far the most fun and easy to drive, and it can make anybody old feel young again, it has that cool youthful style going for it. 8)
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

TJ Hopland

I can only afford cars that are at the bottom of the value curves so mine are likely newer than many others here. 

The one I sort of miss is the 78 SDV.   Bought it for almost scrap price because it was too good a deal to pass up and it didn't take much to get it back on the road.  It just rode really nice even though it was pretty rusty.   It was one I got rid of because I just had too many cars and a friend of a friend was in a tight spot.   The guy I sold it to on a payment plan for scrap price daily drove it for another 5 years.   75 Eldo hard top was a close second and almost identical story.  I still have that but its been sitting in a field for a few years now so I doubt there is much left of it. 

The one I like the most and keep thinking I should either fix or replace is the 80 Eldo.  10 years ago I would have never considered a car that 'small', I really liked the 'big' cars.  I bought it just because I had room for another car and sometimes I want to try things that many people hate which this car fit the bill with its body style and diesel engine.  I really didn't expect to like it or keep it very long.  It was cheap enough that I would have been happy if I got 6 months out of it.  Ended up making it a daily driver for almost 3 years till a deer decided it wanted a closer look at it while I was on the interstate.  I got it to drive again but it was ugly and not right.  I'm  currently driving an 81 Riv but its not quite the same as the Eldo.

The first Cadillac I bought was an 83 Fleetwood Coupe.  I would not mind finding another one of those but I don't think I would want to pay what someone would likely want for one in decent shape.  Maybe to make it more interesting I would want an 81 with the 8-6-4 or a diesel.  I guess another 4100 would be weird enough too. 

The one I miss the least was the 95 SDV.   It wasn't a bad car per say it just was kinda average nothing special.

I would not mind a 91-93 Brougham but by the time I was interested in them they were either beat to death or out of my price range.    I would probably like something from the 30's or 50's but those have always been out of my price range.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Bob Kielar

Since I've only owned one it has to be Annie our 1955 Fleetwood. We have had a multitude of cars two 57 Chevys,two MGs,73 Corvette, two SS 64 Impalas,47 Mercury street rod,two Mustangs, and a 59 Chevy Impala convertible. By far the Cadillac turns the most heads gets the most thumbs up and questions this is our all time favorite.
Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Chris Cummings

My favorite is the one I wanted when I was 14 years old, but wasn't able to own until 52.  It's a 1930 five-passenger imperial sedan (limousine) and it's wonderful.  With the divider window, the front seat is fixed, no adjustment.  Just happens it's just right for me. The car came to me with 7,600 miles (no one really drove it during its long life), and apart from some moth damage to the upholstery, repainted fenders and running boards, and re-plated chrome (all done before I bought the car) it's not much different from when it left the factory.  There's nothing like looking out over that long hood and those arched fenders -- like driving a team of horses.  For a 3-ton car that's built on basically a truck chassis (solid front axle, semi-elliptics all around) it drives very easily.  Just have to respect that long turning radius.  I consider myself extremely fortunate.

cadillacmike68

I like my 1996 Fleetwood Brougham, and the 1995 I had before it. They are quiet, smooth and comfortable. You're completely relaxed after a long trip. Sure it doesn't have nav, satellite radio, bluetooth, etc., but these cars just keep on going.....
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

slowpoke17

My First One! It was a '65 Calais with 27k original miles. It aws 1998 and I found it in Buffalo on one of my trips out there, paid $3500. List of options was easy to remember: AM radio. That car not only introduced me to Cadillac's, (I'm on my ninth one!) it also introduced me to a member of this club. He was a doctor traveling with a trailer to a car show in Gloucester MA. I was getting gas and he came over to say hello and check out my car. He gave me a card and asked if I wanted to see his car in the trailer. He had a beautiful LaSalle who's grille looked like it was worth more than my car. He had a huge display of trophies in the  front of his trailer. What a beauty! On my last stop I went to one of my construction sites in Fairport. I looked at the job trailer when I got out and everyone was staring out the window. They told me they thought it was some union boss coming to check them out. I wish I kept hat car but being young and not making much money we eventually needed something more reliable as my wife drove it everyday. She was known around town as the lady with the big Cadillac.

John Federico

76eldo

Too tough for me to answer.  I have some really nice examples of the years I own.  I guess if I had to pick one for dependability, ease of maintenance, lack of plastic parts, performance, and eyeball it would have to be my 70 DeVille convertible.  For my money, 1970 was the best model year of the modern era.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

D.Smith

Tough one.    I've have many Cadillacs old and new.   None were perfect.

Being in the car business in the past, I had many new ones break right off the truck.   Power windows that fell off tracks, A/C units fail.   

And the used and classic ones of course had issues.   Climate control stuck in the wrong mode,  Guidematic dimming going crazy,  plastic fillers crumbling as you waxed the car,  Diesel engines stalling without warning, etc etc.

Hard to say I have ever had a trouble free car.  My 61 is built well.    I think most of us will agree the 1960s are the pinnacle of build quality.    But only up to 1968. After that they really started using too much plastics in the interiors.   Recalls took off too from 69 on.

Most people have fond memories of cars from their past.   But if you really think about them long enough you will realize they weren't that good.  And that's why you traded them in or sold them.     I've often seen an old car forsale like one I had when newer and considered buying it to relive the past.   Then I recalled how crappy the car was and its many flaws.    Hindsight is always 20/20 unless you really think about it.