News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: What are people signing up...
Last post by druby - Today at 04:57:10 PM
Jason, I just wished you'd of given me an honest answer when I asked who put the motion before the board to vote on this matter. My question was very specific when I asked. You stated it wasn't just one person.
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 62 Sedan DeVille Mystery D...
Last post by 60eldo - Today at 04:09:30 PM
  What does flex plate being clocked mean. Im getting my engine rebiult and when it gets back do I need to do this?  I thought just lower the engine in and match 4 bolts to the studs on the torque converter.
Jeff - I emailed you photos. This system said they were too big to attach.
Because I like pictures. I believe there were shims both for the trans and the bearing if needed. I was a little puzzled with the placement of the trans shims.

IMG_20231014_172500485_HDR.jpgIMG_20230624_125228020_HDR.jpgIMG_20230624_123808607.jpgIMG_20230624_124522183.jpgIMG_20230624_125134050.jpg
General Discussion / Re: 1951 Caddy daily driver
Last post by dn010 - Today at 03:43:43 PM
Slide hammer is to get the axle out of the housing, really it is the bearing that's pressed on the axle that you're pulling out of the housing. Sometimes they slip right out, sometimes they need a beating with the slide hammer. No clips inside like today, just the 4 bolts and the rest of the junk you mention to pull.

Having the drums cut - yes, getting them turned to cut away all the ridges, grooves, scores and whatever else you might have going on in the drums that will translate into your new shoes if not done. Down here in FL I pay $12 per drum so it's not terribly expensive.

After all of that (even if you don't have the drums turned), the shoes will not fit the drums properly and that's why the arc cut is suggested, so they match the drum and give you the most area of contact. If not done, you may only have the very ends of the shoes or just the center touching the drum only. Because of this you may not get them set/adjusted properly at the very end, and there is a chance they can drag causing your new $$$ shoes to overheat and cause your drums to develop hot spots. You may not care to do this since you will experience quite a big difference going from one working brake to four, but it's easier and better to get it done the first time while it is already in pieces instead of having to go back in to do it should you have a problem.

Make sure you have drum brake tools if you don't already and a feeler gauge for when you preform the "major adjustment" on the brakes upon reassembly.
Your biggest hurdles here may be finding someone to do the drum and arc cutting since that is pretty much out these days.

Also don't forget to refill your differential.
Ah ok...I recall seeing what appeared to be a 1/16" shim under the carrier bearing when it was removed.  I'll look to see if that made it back in.
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1940 Lasalle Carpet
Last post by Tom Boehm - Today at 03:08:32 PM
They have a black one too. Part # FF-390BKU.

You Got Lucky. It's In Stock!!!
Last post by Ben Medlock - Today at 03:01:27 PM
My interior is grey so would need to go with black. Maybe an option.... I'll reach out to the folks at Bobs Automobilia.

Thanks
Driveline angle might play a role.  I remember seeing a few threads that discussed shims for the center carrier bearing.
Last post by Tom Boehm - Today at 02:34:14 PM
series 40 Buick Special, series 60 Buick Century, and Lasalle series 50 all used the same GM B body. Therefore, if you order a mat for those Buicks it will fit perfectly.

You should order #FF-390BN from Bob's Automobilia. Brown mat for 1939 and 1940 Buick Special and Century. They may not include the carpet insert anymore. You would have to get it separately. Your car does have a tan interior? It looked like it in the pictures.

The Bad News:   The website said out of stock. Call and inquire.