News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Ready for sandblasting

Started by Cadillac1955, August 27, 2009, 02:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac1955

Im really looking forward to sandblast this Cadillac 1955

Andrè Aga

Cadillac Coupe de Ville 1955
Cadillac Coupe de Ville 1964 "The Apollo"
Cadillac Conv. 1965

Roger Zimmermann

Why would you do sand blast this body? You will get a mess with sand going everywhere and distorded panels!
Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

I was going to ask the same question.

I wouldn't even Soda Blast it as the same can happen.

If you ARE going to Sandblast it, make sure you know the operator, as an inexperienced hand can ruin perfectly good parts.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cadillac1955

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) (Bruce Reynolds) on August 28, 2009, 07:31:09 AM
I was going to ask the same question.

I wouldn't even Soda Blast it as the same can happen.

If you ARE going to Sandblast it, make sure you know the operator, as an inexperienced hand can ruin perfectly good parts.

Bruce. >:D

Hello,

Yes, I know the operator very well... He do magic with his sandblasting gun...
The car will not be blasted outside... The car will be blasted all other places than outside...
Last year I cleaned the car for old paint with chemicals...

Yes, I look forward to sandblast this old lady...  :)
Andrè Aga

Cadillac Conv. 1965

Bill Ingler #7799

If you feel you must sandblast then find a company who will give you previous customers names and then call those people.  Using the right sand, blasting on an angle and reduced air pressure are keys to correctly sandblasting body panels.  It is very easy to distort a body panel and then it is costly to repair. I see nothing wrong in sandblasting say the firewall and the floor of a car provided you know the experience level of the person doing the work. I used blasting quit extensively on my 47 Cad convert and I am now restoring a 71 Olds 442 convert. The picture below shows part of the floor on the Olds after they finished sandblasting. As pointed out in the previous posting, sand will find its way into every small hiding place so be prepared to spend lots of time with a vacuum cleaner and air hose.

Art Woody

...and what you can't remove with the air hose and vacuum, will come out with the paint gun.

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Art Woody on August 28, 2009, 11:46:41 AM
...and what you can't remove with the air hose and vacuum, will come out with the paint gun.
And those not coming out with the spry gun will stay there, absorb humidity and create rust!
Roger
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Cadillac1955

I do a frame off restoration, so I will do a decent job on the lead through the body. I feel I have to sandblast all, except the car's surface, things like fenders, doors and roof. I know an sandblast guy. Has delivered several things to him and I'm very satisfied with the job he do. Im also restoring old gas pumps and they have also large surfaces. Have not experienced before he blows things crooked or spoil things. What shall I do?? Sandblast the old lady or not?? I live in Norway and I know my english is NOT perfect at all...  ;D ;D ;D I am sure that I write a lot of grammar with errors ... hehe ... But I try as best I can... hehe...  ;)
Andrè Aga

Cadillac Conv. 1965

Roger Zimmermann

My English is also not perfect; I'm living in Switzerland.
To sandblast a single part or a complete assembly like a body is a vastly different proposition. I have a friend who partially sandblasted a body; he said: never again! Years after, he still find sand, which is the ennemy of a body. But you do what you like; the cars is yours, not mine!

Roger
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Sweede64

Hi André, check this out, its the best way to gain a clean surface to start rebuilding your car.
Nice car, looking forvard to you in Sweden.
Thomas.

http://www.bs-teknikk.no/
Thomas Karlström

Cadillac1955

Quote from: Sweede64 on August 29, 2009, 04:31:12 AM
Hi André, check this out, its the best way to gain a clean surface to start rebuilding your car.
Nice car, looking forvard to you in Sweden.
Thomas.

http://www.bs-teknikk.no/

Hei,

Jeg har sjekket dem ut og dem gjør en fin jobb... Men prisen er ca 15000 norske og det er for dyrt...
Takker veldig for svaret :-)
Andrè Aga

Cadillac Conv. 1965