News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

85 degrees outside, Condisation from both exhust pipes ?

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, August 15, 2009, 10:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

It is about 85 degrees in New Jersey tonight . My 1957 Cadillac runs very well , however I went for a 20 minutes cruise ,left the car idling in the driveway  for about 3 minutes tonight ,i noticed both pipes dripping condisation . I am not sure what is going on. any thoughts on this , should i be concerned ?

Thanks,
  Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

If you see this only when the car is just warming up to operating temperature -- that's pretty normal.
I would not be concerned.  I've seen this for years on all of my older cars. There is always some condensation (from the crankcase, for example) that has to be "blown out" during the warm up cycle.

However, if you see it on an ongoing basis, during normal driving, then I would get your cooling system pressure tested and checked for possible head gasket problems.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

The Tassie Devil(le)

20 minutes isn't long enough to get rid of condensation.

Try at least 1 or 2 hours at highway speeds as a minimum.

The reason Exhausts rust out is that they don't get hot enough to remove the condensation during a normal drive to work.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger H

One other explanation is that water is formed during normal combustion.  HC(hydrocarbon or gasoline) combines with O (Oxygen)
and make H2O, and also  other more harmful molecules.  Once the car is hot this normal formation of water is not visible.  When cold however it condenses  into water drips out the tail pipe.  In perfect combustion only water and co2 would be formed.
Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa

Bill Balkie 24172

Thank you everyone,  for your response . It is nice to know you can ask some very simple questions and get intelligent answers . That is what makes this club so successful .

Thanks Again,
  Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS