News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1950-53 door hinge disassembly (update)

Started by G Pennington, December 18, 2015, 11:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G Pennington

I am trying to disassemble my door hinges so I can replace the bushings.  I've tried using a hammer and punch to force the pin out but no luck.  Soaked them in WD-40 for two days and the pins still won't budge.  I have a friend with a 40 ton hydraulic press, but I'm afraid I'll break the hinges if I apply too much force.  Anybody have any experience with this?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

Quentin Hall

I have replaced the pins and bushes in several of these for 53s. You  may need to heat the casting with an oxy torch. Heat and let cool and you shpuld have no problem pushing out on a press. In fact I'm pretty sure I did the last lot in a vice..  If i recall the better bushes are teflon not brass. . . But others may chime in. 
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

G Pennington

Thank you, Quentin.
I will try the heat, cool, and press method.  Won't have access to the hydraulic press until after Christmas, but will post results.  Also, do you know if the hinge pins have a serrated section under the head?  Hard to tell from my parts book.....
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible

Quentin Hall

Yes. I do remember them having a serrated collar. Also be mindful of  them being handed. The domed head is upwards when on the car.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

G Pennington

Yesterday I tried to disassemble the door hinges.   Heated with a butane torch, allowed to cool to room temperature.  Used the hydraulic press to push out the hinge pin on one hinge.  Managed to bend the pin (am having a new one made), so decided to hold off pressing the pins out of the other 3 hinges.
Discovered these hinges have no bushings.  The pin in a tight fit in the upper & lower tangs of one hinge half, and is very loose in the center tang of the other hinge half.  Lots of corrosion in the bore of the center tang.  The bushings I bought on eBay do not fit at all.  Thought about boring out the center tang and making a custom bushing, but there is not really enough metal left to bore it much.  The existing bore is .050 to .060 inch larger in diameter than the pin- so it's quite sloppy.
ANY IDEAS?  Getting the doors installed properly is key to aligning the front & rear fenders, so this is holding up my assembly of the body.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible

Quentin Hall

Hmmmm. Not sure why you are having such dramas. Perhaps you need more heat. I seem to recall just heating with an oxy torch , quenching and oiling and then pressing out with just a big old vice.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

The Tassie Devil(le)

Why wait for them to cool down?

I thought the idea of heating the parts up was to slightly expand the outer part to allow the pin to be driven out.

Letting it cool down will only allow the heated part to re-clamp itself back around the pin.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jeff Maltby 4194

Wick some candle wax in them, an old Hot Rod trick back in the 50's.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Caddy Wizard

When using heat to loosen parts for disassembly, take them apart while still hot.  The hinge will be hotter than the pin and will expand a little more, loosening its grip on the pin.  It will come out fairly easily while the hinge is hot.

Similarly, when reassembling parts that are designed to have an "interference fit", cool the inner part (place it in a freezer for a while) and warm the outer part.  The parts will go together with much less force...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Quentin Hall

Of course that is right about the heating . I now remember just putting the pin under load in the vice, heating the casting and it just popped. The very best by far penetrant is atf and acetone in equal measure.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

G Pennington

Thanks for all the advice on getting the pin out.  Will get with my machinist buddy next week and dissemble the remaining 3 hinges one way or another.
Now, about the bushings (or lack thereof):  The hinge pin has a dia. of .341 in.  The hole in the center portion of the hinge (the part that pivots) is .390 - .410 dia.  This is a very loose fit- that's why I was having so much slop in the hinges.  It just seems to me there should be a bushing or sleeve with an ID of .345 or so for the pin to pivot in.  I found no remains of any kind of bushing when I disassembled the hinge.  I guess the hole could have simply "wallowed out" from 63 years of wear & corrosion, but it looks too round and consistent to have been the result of wear.  Is anybody aware of any kind of bushing or sleeve that was used in these hinges?
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible

Quentin Hall

Try this for size. I can't say for certain that they are the same size but knowing GM it is highly probable that there is an interchange. http://www.ecklersearlychevy.com/early-chevy-door-hinge-pin-and-bushing-kit-two-door-1949-1954.html
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

G Pennington

Bingo!  Ordered the early chevy kit, bushings fit perfectly, pins fit ok after I shortened them 3/4 in.  Finally found the remains of the old bushings- they were completly corroded to powder.  Thanks, Quentin.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible

Quentin Hall

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz