News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Thoughts on correct 1962 Cadillac Whitewalls

Started by Michael J. Cascio, March 30, 2014, 11:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Youshock

Take into acount that there were 3 tire suppliers then-US Royal, Firestone and Goodrich.  It seemed that most Cadillacs came with US Royals but the other manufacturers may not have had the same size WW as US Royal.

I was looking through Roy's book last night and there are factory photos of '61's with narrow whites.  There are also '62 photos with various ww sizes but none starting at the tire bead.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: 49er on April 01, 2014, 12:41:50 PM
So, I think it fair to say fellas , there is no definitive one size. In the ranges everyone states at least in 1962, you really have the choice to suit yourself and really not be incorrect. Art

I think that's a very fair assumption to make.

I think that a 61 with the smaller "hub" and the larger amount of paint on it works with the wide whitewall.  The 62 with the larger hub, and more stainless visible seems to work better with the 1" to 1 1/4" whitewall.

Either way, I wouldn't make an authenticity deduction for using a wider white wall on a 62 or a narrower white wall on a 61 as long as it had bias ply (or the new American Classic bias-look radial tires).  Maybe my judging is just too lenient, however, I don't want to nitpick a car to death either.  I want the judging process to be pleasurable for the judge and the owner.

Yesterday, I was checking out the bias-look radials.  As of right now they're only available in a 3 1/4" white wall in the 8.20-15 which would be right at home on Art's 49, but not on a 61/62.  Perhaps in the future they'll offer more whitewall widths.  That can only mean one thing - get and wear out my tires so I can justify getting a set of bias radials when the correct whitewall width comes out.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jason Edge

For someone's personal taste it is absolutely up to the owner to run whatever they want. If you enter the car for judging on originality and the judge(s) knows something about the authenticity of the cars they will adjust accordingly the more you get away from factory specs across all criteria, not just tires. For me I would have a simple rule for the 62 white walls - "White Meets Rim, Points to Trim; Less than One, deduct One".

That means the person that shows up with a 1" to 2" white wall with a period correct tire will have no deductions but someone with a 3/4" whitewall or wide rim to crown white wall will see a minor deduction.

I will say I am looking forward to checking out the new radials with the "bias ply tall pie crust look". If they come out with a 8.20 x 15 with 1.25" white wall version I will be very tempted for my 64 CDV.  While I run the 1" BF Goodrich Silvertown Bias Ply available from Coker, I'll be honest in that even the spares and original tires I've pulled from 64 parts cars were exactly 1.25" ...and not 1".  Again, a bit of history revision on my part ...but there were 4 brands of tires and am hoping to eventually pull in and see some other tires other than the Firestones I keep pulling in!
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

76eldo

I really think the judges should take into consideration, for their particular class, what tires are currently available.  If the whitewall size is close, there should be no deductions.  Even when asked directly about redials, Carl Steig, the head CLC judge said it's up to the judging team's discretion, so this isn't written in stone.

There may be enough options out there in the tire choices to work for some classes, but not all.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jason Edge

Exactly. That is why I think a 1" whitewall is acceptable.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

76eldo

It's one of those years where you do have options.

Here's a 61 Biarritz I sold a couple of years ago for a lawyer to settle an estate.  It had thinner whitewalls that would have looked terrible on a 1960, but seemed OK on the 61.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Dan LeBlanc

That's the thing with 61/62 wheel covers.  While similar in design, they are different enough to complement the white wall they were intended to be used with.

I think thin whitewalls look goofy on a 61. 
Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc

Posting on behalf of Art here

Here is my 63 and this size looks right by that time

Dan LeBlanc

62 driver

I agree with Art! 3" on a 61 ok.  I like the 1.3 WW on the 62.
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889