News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Convertible

Started by julianburke, April 05, 2014, 05:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

julianburke

I have a beautiful 1956 series 62 convertible.  For a long time I have been pondering of putting wire wheels on it.  The tires on it now are terrible, cannot be balanced and speeds of around 45 MPH want to shake the car apart.  While I am going to put those new "old style" looking radials on it I have thought of changing the wheels as well.  Two questions here:  Do the new wires balance out that you can drive it on trips of 100 miles or more to shows without shaking the car apart?  Second question is does anyone have a set they would like to sell that they took off not wanting them anymore?
The tires I want to use are Diamondbacks as everyone who has them loves them.
Certainly I will keep the original wheels and covers as they are scarce to find when you need them.

35-709

I have a set of aftermarket wires on my '35 Resto-mod sedan.  The car has been finished since January of 2011 and most of the 17,000 miles on the car have been racked up driving the car on long trips.  My wires are from Wheel Smith in California although I know there are vendors selling repops of the original Cadillac wires which is probably what you would use.  I have never had a balance problem with my wheels or my tires by Diamondback.  No reason at all that wires can't be as smooth as steel wheels, wire wheels have been around for many years on sports cars and full size cars.  BTW, if you have the option, by all means get the stainless spokes!

Having said that, and as I mentioned in another thread, keeping those wire wheels clean and looking as good as when you put them on the car is a royal pain in the tush.  Lots of work and chrome polish, and no fun unless you don't drive the car except to shows.  My '35 is the sort of car that really needs wire wheels to look correct so I have them, but it has taught me to never have chrome wire wheels again on a car that came with steel wheels. 

As to your Cokers, I know some people have good luck with them but my only comment is to have no comment in keeping with the rules of this forum.

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

gary griffin

Beautiful car, one of my all time favorites (I received my drivers license in 1956) .  You are in a situation where the owner gets all of the votes and you should make it your car, but please keep the original parts for future possible use. My opinion, with a value of ZERO is to keep it original.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

julianburke

Wow!  Gorgeous car and with a red interior just like mine!  It's "almost" as pretty as mine!!  PS, I found a match for the red leather from a leather supplier if you ever need replacement material.  I only have to do the front seat as the rest is perfect original.  Drivers' side has sun deterioration and a bad spot where you sit so it has to be done.  I'm looking forward to the two hides I ordered.

With the red interior,  dark blue, white, black and camelot gray (mine) exteriors are my favorites.

Thanks G. Newcombe for the input.  I adjusted the post as you suggested.  The tires were expensive but don't perform well as besides balance, they also handle poorly around curves with excessive body roll and if the brakes are quickly applied the front wheels seem to want to lock up instantly no matter what the tire pressure.  For today's' roads, radials are the answer over bias for a car this heavy and I certainly don't want to hit anything.

walt chomosh #23510

I bought an "American made" set of wire wheels and couldn't get a good balance until we balanced the wheels off of the lugs. The tire shop kept balancing the wheels off the hub until I did my research and found out the proper balance requires using the lugs......walt....tulsa,ok

D.Yaros

Have you considered putting Cadillac sabre/turbine wheels on it?  I like ém!
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/