News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'58 "c" Hydramatic shift levers?

Started by fishnjim, November 08, 2018, 04:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishnjim

Can someone point me to a source for this info?
I can't find any diagrams in the manuals or on line - everything but...  I've got all the internals and repair instructions but no externals.

The shift levers coming out of the trans have two arms/pin connections, one for the gear shift and one for the kick down.   
1. Which one is which?
2. What position the gear lever is in for PARK, so I get it adjusted right.   

I think I know but need to double check before I screw up a couple thou.   The outer one, which I think is the kick down, wraps around to the inner position, they don't line up anymore, and that's throwing me off.

Lexi

I don't have much on '59s, but I did look through my Hydramatic Transmission Service Manual. It has a publication date of 1956. Covers up to '55 and a bit on '56 transmissions. There was a rather poor shot of external linkage, which I scanned for you. Probably won't help, but hopefully someone out there has a later Hydramatic Service Manual they can check for you. In answer to your first question, a late 50s Hydramtic Manual would probably do the trick. If it looks like some of this from my manual helps, I can have a look for additional info. Also found a bit from the 1961 MPL on '59 linkage but probably not much help either. Attached below for what its worth. Clay

Roger Zimmermann

I hope the 2 attached pictures will help. The larger lever is for the gear shift and the one "in the middle" is for the T/V. Logically, the park position is by pushing the larger lever towards the front of the car (or transmission).
The levers can only be installed in one position; the pictures should help.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

fishnjim

This first one doesn't match at all. 
The second one does.   
However, since there's only two connections, Roger, can you clarify what you mean by middle?   I'm thinking outer and inner from trans.   I'll have to recheck the routing lever since the kick down was off for obvious, and I'm not sure if it goes inside or outside the shift lever relative to the trans.  As described, if middle is inner, would be inside.   
I'd feel real comfortable with a manual picture.   I'll call Fatsco or NWT if not resolved here.   My bad.
I no longer have access to the (yahoo)'58 club site, which would know.
Thanks for all.

Roger Zimmermann

Easy: the shift lever is like a "U". The quick-down lever is inside the U. If you prefer, the T/V lever is inside. But you have first to engage partly the shift lever, than the T/V lever and finally the shift lever.
More logic: the T/V lever is on the inner shaft, the shift lever on the outside shaft. Look again at the pictures, it should be clear like water.
You saw probably that the levers have a split. Maybe you have to spread the T/V lever to make the hole's diameter a bit larger.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

fishnjim