News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1991 Brougham DeElegance

Started by Chad Oolman, August 06, 2013, 11:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad Oolman

I have kept my eyes open for a 91 or 92 Brougham in all black for several years.  The car had to have the DeElegance package, 350 engine, low miles, and not pimped out!  Finding something so specific was not easy, but I finally got it, patience pays off.  I am very pleased with my "new" old car and wanted to share it with other Cadillac fans.  I took some pictures after a week of detailing and here is one of my favorites.

Walter Youshock

Beautiful car.  I see it has the custom Royal Seal duplicates tires from Diamondback.  I have the same ones on my '91.  The CLC has a chapter devoted to the 5 Liter Broughams.  If you're interested in signing up, just drop me an email.

Congratulations!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Does the chapter include 5.7s?  ;D

Beautiful Brougham- quadruple black no less. How many miles on it?
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Chad Oolman

The car does have the 5.7 liter engine, that was a must for me.  The mileage is 34,XXX, in many ways it's like brand new.  I am looking for one minor part, the red battery cable junction box under the hood on the passenger side inner fender.  Mine has the cover missing.

Thanks for the comments, I am proud of it, and I love the Diamond Back white/gold walls!

Cooke

Beautiful car and with a great engine as well, any interior pictures?? Thanks for posting.

Walter Youshock

The chapter covers all 5.0 and 5.7 Broughams through 1992 (the Olds/Chevy powered cars).

As for the junction box--it's probably available NOS but it was used for many years, so a decent junkyard part wouldn't be impossible to find.  As for the tires--they are heavy as hell and I find them stiff as a Fred Flintstone radial.  They DO look great, though.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

@Chad & Wally-

I just called Diamondback for a set of goldstripe duplicates and was told they can no longer offer them due to threat of lawsuit from Vogue Tires for reasons I find difficult to comprehend: The original Tigerpaw Goldstripe was a Uniroyal design, not Vogue. I never cared much for the geometric pattern cut into the WW of the Vogue tire and now I have an additional reason for disliking them.  >:(

At any rate, you might consider picking up another set of wheels & tires and use your Goldstripes for show.  I still have the original tires that were on the '92 when new but one of them has a real bad spot- so I just need a single good used one. I also have a mounted set 3/4" WW which are on the car now.

Walter Youshock

WOW!  That's news to me.  Morgan Murphy sent them the specs on the Royal Seals and the only thing they couldn't replicate was "ROYAL SEAL" due to the copyright.  The Vogue design is opposite the Royal Seal anyway.  That being the case, Uniroyal could have been sued by Vogue when they introduced the gold-stripe Royal Seals in the '80's.  These tires are not a Vogue knockoff--it's really a Uniroyal duplicate.  Wonder when this lawsuit thing came about...

This is interesting news. 

Too bad there are no recappers around anymore.  I'd have my RS set redone.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I stick a set of Vogues on my car.

Quite honestly, I doubt DB even made 50 sets of these tires.  Unless they actually added them to their standard line of tires...  When I ordered my set, I had to ask for them.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Perhaps Uniroyal had to pay Vogue a royalty back then- I have no idea. 

Walter Youshock

I'll put blackwalls on before getting a set of Vogues.  If Vogue were smart, THEY would make the RS style tire and all this could be avoided!  Obviously there is a market for them.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Joe Manna

Chad,very nice car.I have a Lt.Antelope with the 5.7 and it just hit 169k on the way to the GN this year.Lots of Luck with it
1951 Chevrolet Bel-Air-50's Style Custom
1963 Cadillac 4 Window Sedan deVille
1991 Cadillac DW69 Brougham,All original and used daily
2015 Cadillac SRX

g27g28

Chad great car.  I have had three of the 90-92 Brougham d'elegance cars. First one was a Black 90 with silver lower trim and it had the 5.7 that I got in 1995.  It had grey leather and I installed a big grille and had the windows tinted.  I installed correct wire wheels with vogues as well.  I loved that car except all the 5.7's I have ever seen and had blew smoke on start up because of the valve guides on that engine.  I acquired a 91 Black with black lower trim and black leather a couple of years after and they made quite a set.  The 91 wasn't as perfect as the 90 so it was my driver.  The 91 had the 5.0.  Both cars ended up being stolen in Dallas TX when I was living there.  Both were stripped and then dumped.  Broke my heart.  I acquired another 90 in 2000.  Maroon with Maroon leather and silver lower trim.  I used it as a daily driver until the paint was starting to show it's age and I sold it.  I will say that the 91 beat both the 90s on ride smoothness.  I realize it was because of the trailer towing package that had to be purchased to get the 5.7 in 1990 and am glad they changed that in 1991.  Those Broughams are enjoyable cars and hope you enjoy yours and black is the color. 
1941 Series 62
1954 Coupe DeVille
1978 Phaeton
1980 Fleetwood

Interesting your thoughts on the effect of trailering package on ride which is precisely what I've noticed myself.

Here's a few of my car- a '92 with 350 and cassette w/CD player. Car is near perfect original NC car with 18,000 miles.

Not a d'Elegance nor black but an exceptional example, nonetheless. Tires shown are original to the car. 

okccadman

Congratulations Chad!  You will love that Brougham!  My Antelope 90 with 5.7 just turned 125,000 miles.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Walter Youshock

Differences between the '90 and '91 are many, especially between the 5.0 L engines.  The one thing that took me some time to get used to on the '91 vs. the '90 was the steering and the 7" wheels felt SO different somehow.  And the base/clear paint is so much easier to maintain than the lacquer.

The sad thing is that the Llama grain vinyl is very susceptible to deterioration and there is NO exact replacement for it.  Add that to the tire dilemma.  I can find parts for the '57 10 times more easily than for the '91!

Chad, you have a beautiful example of what many consider to be the last of the real full-size Cadillacs. 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

JerRita

We have a 91 5.7 w/ 300 K still runs great some rust and splits in top Got it from original owner many years ago engine never rebuilt Cadillac should have put that engine in thier cars right after the 4100 mistake Unfortunatly many parts are specific to those cars especially climate control
Jerry and Rita Trapani #15725 Caddymaniacs