News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Original Owner's Identification Card!

Started by salguod, April 20, 2013, 04:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salguod

I already posted pictures of my Dad's '57 Eldorado, but this seemed to deserve it's own post.

Today we discovered the original owner's ID card, tucked in a sleeve mounted in tabs under the passenger side front of the hood.  Astounding that this was still there after 56 years.  In fact, the car was repainted and the entire front sheet metal was off the car about 20 years ago, so the shop must have saved this and put it back when they were done.  Dad didn't know it was there.

I've attached some pictures and deliberately left them a bit large so you can see some of the detail.  Time has taken its toll, unfortunately, so I can't read some of it, particularly the dealer.  Only think I can see on the dealer is "___ Motor, Inc" and it looks like it was on Grand River in Detroit.  Owner's were "Richard (I think) &/or Ruth Stuart" and they took delivery on 3/18/57 (although the 57 isn't readable).

I was thrilled to discover this.  Have many of these cards & holders survived?
salguod
1957 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz (Dad's Toy) - Elysian Green, inside and out
1960 Thunderbird Convertible (My Toy) -  Raven Black, Red leather
1996 BMW 318ti (My Daily Driver/Toy) - Boston Green, Dove Gray leather
www.salguod.net

salguod

Someone pointed me to this page that lists Detroit Cadillac dealers in 1960.  It looks like our car came from S. Rund Motor Sales at 3801 Grand River.  Not much there now and the property seems to be an apartment building parking lot and an empty lot.
salguod
www.salguod.net

52Cadillac

SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Jon S

I've attached copies of my dad's original Owner's ID card from his 1958.  What I find interesting is that the "reproduction" Owner's ID cards being sold look nothing like the original factory/dealer-issued cards!

Jon

Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

52Cadillac

SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Jeff Maltby 4194

My 49 FB came with the oem owners id card from Warren Cadillac Minn.

Have a picture here somewhere.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

salguod

Quote from: Jon S on April 21, 2013, 09:20:37 AM
I've attached copies of my dad's original Owner's ID card from his 1958.  What I find interesting is that the "reproduction" Owner's ID cards being sold look nothing like the original factory/dealer-issued cards!

Jon

Also interesting is that your '58 card doesn't match Dad's '57 above.  Yours also looks to have some sort of shiny coating, the one we found didn't seem to.  If it did, it had long disintegrated.

I didn't see any indication of the engine number on the one we found, but that area of the card is in pretty bad shape.  The dealer didn't fill it in on yours either.
salguod
www.salguod.net

Jon S

I see that - What was interesting is the location of the 1958 ID card was on the lower right grill top extension piece so when you opened the hood you could (can) see it immediately.  When my dad got his first fill up (they used to clean the windshield and check the oil in the old days, the attendant asked "How do you like your new Cadillac Dr. Schapiro."  This gas station was 3 towns away and my dad didn't know the attendant.  The attendant showed my dad the ID card.  That's Ok because my dad had to show him where the gas filler was.  LOL

Jon
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Kimberlin1974

I found mine in the glove box and it's in pretty good shape. It helped me find out a lot about its history.

cadillacmike68

I have the original Cadillac Protect-o-Plate / warranty card (about the size of a credit card) for my 1968, along with the original warranty booklet with the car serial number punched into the end! I also have the 2nd owner's purchase sheet from 1969 (I think).
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Jeff Maltby 4194

My oem ID card with cover.

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500