News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'77 Coupe deVille, 13,000 miles, 3x Yellow- eBay

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, January 31, 2013, 08:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Somebody should grab this one. Not very well equipped, period aftermarket wheels but all original with 13,000 miles. Fillers appear to be in a state of decay (shocker) and the little corner pieces missing as a result. Near perfect steering wheel though.

All things considered, I can't see how someone can go wrong for $6K for a #2-, 13,000 mile original car- no matter what it is.

Somebody should act quickly on this. (Craig) Ha. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1977-CADILLAC-COUPE-VILLE-NAPLES-YELLOW-/170982916910?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27cf60432e
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

INTMD8

Not sure how I feel about the colors but it's so nice it's probably worth overlooking.

Seems like a very good price.

R Schroeder

Eric,
I think those are plastic fillers on the rear of the car. Different color and they fit tight against the trunk. Missing the chrome on bottom because they were changed out.
I think the mileage is off too.
Carpets are dirty as hell for that sort of mileage. Only going on what mine was like when I bought mine.
Engine bay is pretty dirty too, for traveling 13,000 miles.
No padded top. No pin stripe. Not crazy about the rims either.
Price isnt bad though.
Maybe I'm to fussy...............ha
Roy

Aaron Hudacky

That's a nice looking car.  I like it except the wheels.  The dirty carpet is typical where the heater ducts discharge on lighter colored carpets no matter the mileage, and the steering wheel is really nice if 13k isn't accurate.  I like the wraparound tail lights, clear front turn signal lenses and grille texture on the 77s.  The more you guys post these clean 77-79s, the harder it gets to resist buying another. 
1970 Eldorado
1978 Coupe deVille
1979 Coupe deVille
2008 Subaru STI

R Schroeder

Dirty carpets are not typical of a well kept low mileage car. I have seen many on Ebay. My own car has perfect carpets. I even pulled the door sills to check for fading. It was a perfect match. Even had to remove the plastic the dealer left on the edge of the still plate. My car had 11,500 miles on it ,when I bought it.
I had a 84 Olds, I bought new, years ago. Sold it with 180,000 miles on it and the carpets were not dirty.
The Eldorado that Brian has for sale, I believe is correct in mileage , because of the condition of the carpets and interior.
Sorry to disagree about this one.
Roy

Sold anyway.

76eldo

Signs of mileage on these cars would of course include the carpet and pedals, but also the plastic chrome outline on the dash bezels, and I would look for wear around the radio controls, heater controls, etc, Ignition lock area, stuff that people HAVE to touch to drive the car.

I bought a 76 Seville from a car wholesaler at a really good price because he thought it had 124,000 miles on it.

I looked at certain things on the car, as well as the paper trail of bills in the glove box.  The elderly owners died and the car sat in their driveway for several months and got really dirty.  The fillers were also shot which really kills the appearance of any 70's Cadillac.  Carpets were very dirty on this car too.

I bought it on the spot because I knew it was a 24,000 mile car.  I confirmed it with the local Cadillac dealer that serviced the car for the original owners.  Lots of cleaning and a nice polish and it cleaned up really well and sold quickly on ebay.

Here are some pics of how it cleaned up.

That yellow car looks really nice to me.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

936CD69

I just looked..it is sold and sadly Eric...it wasn't me!
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

R Schroeder

Yes the car was a good deal for the money. After owning mine , you just get use to picking out those small things like Brian is talking about. Sure there are hidden gems out there, and you can get lucky. I always like to see the bottom of the car in pictures as well as the engine area, when they talk about low mileage. You know when you see it , if its true.
As an example I am posting a shot that the guy sent me of my car , when I bought it. The bottom of the car was very clean, original paint and Rusty Jones ,almost clear, under coating.
Brake lines were still shiny too. you can see them if you click on the picture. All original under the car.
Also the chrome edging on the tail lights was still on there.
They do come along now and then. I have saved many that sold on Ebay that were perfect, and they commanded big money too.
Roy

Series75

well someone pulled the trigger on it.  In my book, it doesn't matter how great the pics look, or what's on the odometer, its the maintenance records, if they are comprehensive and go with the car, its real, no records well then you have to ask why? and who will question you when you go to shift it to another owner. 
Tom CLC#6866

R Schroeder

I think the records are nice to have, and I did get all the records for mine that go back two owners.
I also have been keeping all my own records , and someday will go with the car when I sell .
It wouldn't be the deciding factor in buying a nice car though.
Roy

That's a shame Craig. Would love to have seen you get a car of this caliber.

When you consider average '77s with miles in the 80s fetch $3K all day long, $6K for this example is a no-brainer.

Car does have factory Cabriolet padded vinyl roof. '77 had the cross-hatched "Tuxedo" grain as opposed to "Elk" grain on '78-up and mid '77 Brougham-up.

Had an identical '77 (3x yellow) CdV that had the little corner pieces fall off because of the deteriorating fillers which were still original. I glued the pieces back on. The fillers in this car look like faded originals to me. Yellow carpets show soilage easily. Condition of steering wheel is among the best. I have no trouble accepting the mileage.

R Schroeder

I wish they would have had some trunk shots of the car.
I guess the top is padded. I was looking at the area where the emblem was, and it wasn't as recessed as mine . Must have been a change for 78.
I wonder if it will be up for sale again. The winning bidder had a 0 for rating . Usually those are people that jump in as a prank. Maybe the winner cleared the sale with the buyer before he bid. Who knows.
Most of the time I see them re-posted, when there is a buyer with no feedback.
Roy

Quote from: Roy Schroeder on February 01, 2013, 10:10:35 AM
I wonder if it will be up for sale again. The winning bidder had a 0 for rating . Usually those are people that jump in as a prank. Maybe the winner cleared the sale with the buyer before he bid. Who knows.
Most of the time I see them re-posted, when there is a buyer with no feedback.
Roy

I noticed that too. Maybe Craig may get a shot after all. He-he.

Regarding the wheels: Sometimes when dealer will will swap them out if he feel the car needs a little extra "help" getting it out the door. (Just a theory) This car being so lightly equipped may have prompted the wheel swap. I've seen two other really stripped down Cadillacs of this vintage and both also sported those 70s-era chrome wheels with the wire baskets on.

Even with the best of care, those aftermarket wires always rusted and the fact these have not also adds to the mileage credibility.   

R Schroeder

I'm not an expert , but to me those wheels didn't look like Cadillac wheels. So, they could have been just put on too.
Aren't I a pain today.................ha
Its winter. I have nothing else to do.
Roy