News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Need a body shop recommendation

Started by Dan LeBlanc, August 28, 2014, 07:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan LeBlanc

My 61 Fleetwood has been so loved and polished over the years that there is a thin spot of paint on my quarter panel where the primer is just showing through.  Since the car still sports the original paint, I'm not looking to paint the whole car or even the whole quarter panel, just that area, and have it done in acrylic lacquer.

When I ask body shops here if they can touch up the lacquer, I get a deer-in-the-headlights look.

Soooooo.  I'm looking for a body shop that will touch up the quarter panel in acrylic lacquer and melt in the edges properly to make an undetectable repair.  Maine, NH, VT, or MA areas as these are within a decent range (or even in NB, NS, or PE), even PA as I travel there frequently (so I guess that adds in CT and NY along I-84).

If I have to paint the whole quarter panel, that is disturbing too much of the original paint, so I won't do it.  That's why I need an experienced shop that can still do the repair in lacquer.  Preservation is key here.

Those of you who saw the car at the GN will say it's not that bad, leave it.  I know it's there, and my eye is drawn to it when I look at that side of the car.  Forgive me in advance for being particular!
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Dave Shepherd

Dan, that is going to be nearly impossible in any form to partially paint a panel on oe paint and have it match.  I have seen this tried by very good body men and you can see the repair, even painting the whole panel and blending into the door is difficult, the new paint  will have a different gloss/reflection. This assumes an exact color match.

35-709

and black is one of the worst to spot paint and match --- believe it or not.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Dan LeBlanc

The area has obviously been touched up before and blends very well. This is the spot:

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: 35-709 on August 28, 2014, 09:45:40 AM
and black is one of the worst to spot paint and match --- believe it or not.

It is so unforgiving.
Dan LeBlanc

NudeAutoMall

Las Vegas is a bit of a drive for you. Keep looking, n you'll find someone near by. Such is most certainly doable.

Jeff Wilk

Hey Dan,  i got in touch with my friend who has restored many many many national 1st place cars. His answer was NO WAY to match this correctly particularly on dark colors. Stronger suggestion us to paint the panel and have it blended in iver a larger area if you want it to be nearly invisible. On the otherhand if its simply going for a look better than primer showing through, most shops shiuld be able to handle
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

76eldo

Contact Ronny Hux.
He has a guy for you and be is in PA.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

bill06447

G&J Auto Body in Wallingford CT (17 Pent Highway 203-265-7066) always has 30s through 60s iron in their shop as well as plenty of late-model tin they are repairing. It's worth a visit just to watch them shuttle wrecks around with their 40s-era Crosley tow truck. Might want to give them a call and see if they can help you.

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Dan, do you remember the monstrous 1940 75 conv at the GN? Al Lindeman of NY state polished that out of original paint. Of course it's not acrylic lacquer but you might get in touch with Al and get his suggestions.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Dan LeBlanc

Unfortunately, it's down to the primer.
Dan LeBlanc