News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac at International Auto Show

Started by Rhino 21150, February 04, 2005, 10:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

densie

You can buy a lot of gasoline for what it costs to make payments on a new car that youre not happy with.

-densie

Randall Ayers McGrew CLC # 17963

Densie, this may be the only thing our society has managed to make equitable between the classes ... everyone can now afford a car with the luxury options that once were only availble to the wealthy or the upper middle class.  Of course, the consequence is that all cars are now so much alike that there is nothing remotely interesting about them or unique;  worse they seem even more cheap than previously.  Just my opinion.  But I would rather a lower cost Chevy Biscaine from the 60s if I could not afford a Cadillac.  At least the older cars were solid, and had a clean, simple style.  Just stay away from the 6 cyl...in a heavy sedan it becomes a dead sled.  :)

Johnny

[everyone can now afford a car with the luxury options that once were only availble to the wealthy or the upper middle class.]

When discussing "luxury cars" my favorite question is "How do you define a luxury car?"  As you stated, in years gone by, it was usually determined by options, which were usually only found on cars such as Cadillac, Lincoln, Oldsmobile, Buick etc.  Most of these options from the 50s and 60s are standard equipment today.  Things such as power windows, steering, brakes, air conditioning.  

[Of course, the consequence is that all cars are now so much alike that there is nothing remotely interesting about them or unique; worse they seem even more cheap than previously.]

I think the reason for this is that since about the mid 70s car buyers became less interested in styling and more interested in performance and realiability.

If we, as car enthusiasts, can step back for a minute and look at the automobiles today objectively, I think we will see that the "automobile experience" is much improved from years ago.  Sure the flair and excitement might not be there, but the improvements are fantastic.  I think cars are more realiable and last longer.    Granted repair costs are skyrocketing, but I dont think they need as much attention. We have 100,000 mile spark plugs, 5 year anti freeze.  With GM you have 3 years of "roadside assistance", by which you are just a phone call away from help, if you car is going to take long to repair, and its under warranty, they will provide you with a free loaner.

Hank Modica CLC 17604

Though days late, I agree quite emphatically with Stampie
and Randall. Its great driving something so different from
everyone else. I still get the finger when I drive, but
its almost always a thumb and not the middle one.
People notice it, a subliminal safety feature in my opinion.
And the local police seem more interested in looking at
it as opposed to clocking it with radar.

I also note that my teenagers like to show it off when I pick them up from school whereas their minivan and SUV driving
peers are unable to do so. Seems their friends are always asking for a ride home.

Regards, Hank

Mike #19861

I have to agree. The abject simplicity of those basic Chevies of the 60s were an attraction of their own. My first car was a 66 Bel Air 4-door sedan with a 6-cylinder Glide. That car was THE definition of slow. It could not get out of its own way. But substituting a 283 from my dads retired Pontiac made a world of differance. Also, the Parisienne interior went a long way of improving the comfort.

I also had a 66 Chevy II 100. The only option was a Powerglide. I pulled the 194 and replaced it with a 250. It went along pretty good.

These cars were simple, solid and bulletproof.

But, if you stuffed a 427 in a Biscayne, you had another animal entirely! Simple, solid, bulletproof and FAST!!

Mike

Randall Ayers McGrew CLC # 17963

Mike, I know what you mean.  In 1999 I came within a cats whisker of buying a brown 1966 Chevy Biscaine (or however you spell it).  It was boooorrrriiiing but, on the other hand it had a small block V-8 and A/C.  The interior was bland however there was a lot of room for a sedan.  There are times I wish I had bought it.  But I had this Cadillac bug...and well....you know.  :)

densie

You do make a good point.  To those of us who have dealt with points and condensors, going 100k miles without a tuneup is a miracle shat from heaven.

After my auto accident, if the 92 truck had turned out to be unrepairable, I was wondering if its 350 TBI and overdrive transmission could be put into an older luxury* car.  I believe that this setup could get me 15 mpg or so around town, which is fine.  With a spare fuel pump and ignition module on board, it would probably go many thousands of miles needing nothing but oil changes.  Anything newer, with distributorless ignition and sequential FI, I wouldnt mess with.

*Luxury car is defined as a car with a smooth ride, ease of steering, plenty of room, loaded with options, aesthetically pleasing interior, and comfortable seats.

-densie

Mike #19861

That exact same engine is used in the 1991-1993 full sized Cadillacs. In 1990-92, the 5.0 TBI engine was standard with the 5.7 optional. The 5.7 was standard on the new Fleetwood in 1993, and was subsequently replaced with the awesome LT1 for 1994-96.

Its a good reliable and economical engine that could easily return 20+ mpg. It also, especially in 5.7 ltr form, lay to ruins the 307 in the performance department.

Mike