News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

got to thinking about an engine swap

Started by Detroit_Dinosaur, March 29, 2017, 04:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Detroit_Dinosaur

I've had my 76 eldorado for 3-4 years now, i got a steal on it then the motor went bad and at the time i was 23 and broke so i parked it. Now that I'm getting back to it, it dawned on me, has there ever been a big block LS swap into one of these? just an idea however, if the motor turns to be totally garbage, a swap may be necessary so any ideas and opinions are welcome. This just seems like a decent option but I'm also working with a car twice my age, I'm sure my  mechanical skills may be sub par. not to mention the convenience and reliability of fuel injection. not for performance but being able to drive it with less worries.

currently i do have the 500 with the original Q-jet
CLiebo

'76 eldorado convertible firethorn red, white leather & top
'98 grand cherokee 5.9 limited
'01 buick lesabre

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

What is the cost of an LS engine? How do you plan to wire it, etc?
You should be able to have your engine rebuilt reasonably as long as nothing is really broken.
Besides, if you are going to have an old car, have an old car.
Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

35-709

Agreed, much less expensive and easier to just get that one rebuilt, or ask around here for a good one.  Those engines are pretty common still.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Scot Minesinger

Plus if you get the original rebuilt, larger intake valves, larger exhaust valves, performance intake manifold (using stock - re-machine), higher compression ratio, polished exhaust manifold internals, improved cam and etc. can get you much more power if that is why you were thinking about an LS.  All those improvements are close to same cost as a standard re-build.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

35-709

You might want to contact MTS --- www.500cid.com/  They specialize in the 501 series Cadillac engines, ie,
472/500/425.  They can do a complete overhaul, or sell your rebuilder any parts he may need, and are happy to talk with you on the phone.  They are the gurus for these engines.  I have a 472 rebuilt locally with their parts in my '35 and the '73 472 in my now sold Caribou was rebuilt by them.  Good folks.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Detroit_Dinosaur

all good points, think i will try for a rebuild. thanks everybody
CLiebo

'76 eldorado convertible firethorn red, white leather & top
'98 grand cherokee 5.9 limited
'01 buick lesabre

bcroe

A Chev doesn't just bolt into a BOP car, and its MUCH more complex for FWD. 
Going from a carb to EFI is another complication; and you would find for most
situations the 500 has better low end torque.  I am wondering what is wrong with
your 500, is it burning oil or knocking?  Sometimes a new timing chain and some
other tune up items are all that are needed. 

Bruce Roe

Scot Minesinger

Good point Bruce, I own two LS engine powered vehicles and the low end grunt is not there like in a 472/500 or even an LT.  On the NJ Turnpike driving 75-80mph is where my LS really shines.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty