News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac Biarritz

Started by Michel Cadorin, November 23, 2014, 09:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michel Cadorin

Hi, I'm restoring a 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz bucket seats and the color that is in the bottom floor is the same car. I do not know if this is the original color or black.

This car is in Brazil

Thank you!

M. Cadorin

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

If you can either post a picture of, or list the information shown on the data plate - all will be revealed. It is located on the driver's side cowl, visible with hood open.

Good luck with your '59 Biarritz and welcome to the CLC Forum.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Michel Cadorin

Hi,

vin 59E045205

thank you

Jon Riley #13576

Paint code 90 is Olympic White.  The car associated with that data tag was originally painted white.

Trim 11: Black Cardiff and Florentine Grain Leather, Black carpet

Michel Cadorin

ok, thanks for the information, but need to know the part of the color under the floor. Attached example of 1955 cadillac I'm restoring.

quadfins

My '61 shows the original red oxide primer on the bottom of the floor pans, with no other paint over it. It was a New Mexico car, and does not have any undercoating on the bottom of the pans, either, just some sound deadener in the usual places.

It is my understanding that body-color paint was not applied to the bottoms of the body exteriors. Perhaps a '59 expert will confirm or deny...

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

The Tassie Devil(le)

My '60 CDV had the red oxide paint underneath.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jeff Wilk

Firewall body color all the way down to floor boards with transmission tunnel being red ixide with some body color overspray. Rest of floor board underside red oxide.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

76eldo

It's probably an 8, not a B.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Sure looks like a B to me...

In any case, top codes are supposed to be single digit - or so the list shows.

It's quite a mystery to me.

76eldo

Paging Mr. Rafekis...

I have my 60 reference material at home.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Quentin Hall

The B denotes bucket seat car. The rear bow has the courtesy light in it with the switch in the rear lh bolster. ( only on bucket seat cars. )
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Quote from: Quentin Hall on November 24, 2014, 02:14:45 PM
The B denotes bucket seat car. The rear bow has the courtesy light in it with the switch in the rear lh bolster. ( only on bucket seat cars. )

I had noticed the B suffix on the trim code which denotes bucket seats.

To be clear then, logic follows that all cars equipped with buckets should also have the B suffix in the top code in addition to the trim code. Correct?

Michel Cadorin

Yes, 2B.

This car has never been restored and the floor was still in white original paint is the same color as the body. Has no red oxide signal.

The question is: the floor is white in body color? Oxide red? Or Black?

Quentin Hall

It's my belief that the floors were painted in red oxide under and over. The bodies were sprayed and overspray can be seen inboard of the sills They didn't mask them up but they must have had some sort of screen that got not all, but most of the overspray .  It was probably  a panel that propped up along the sill.
My old 59 Biarritz had been tarred so I can't give a definitive answer but  I'm going by other 50s caddies I've played with .
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Jon Riley #13576

It is my understanding that the floors were left red oxide primer.   Occasionally, you will see original cars, without any undercoating, and the floors are all red primer. 

Many restorations have  painted the floors body color, though.

I have seen some people paint the underside with a single stage urethane paint in the color of primer.  If I were doing a "factory correct" restoration, that is how I would do it.

76eldo

I think he is talking about the INSIDE of the floor, nut the under car finish.

I have a white 60 and I needed to do a repair to the bracket that holds the convertible top cylinder to the floor.  The plate is spot welded to the floor and the spot welds gave way.  The inside of the floor under the carpet was white, which matches the color of my car.

The data plate below is from a car I used to own.  It was a one owner, 60,000 mile 1960 Eldorado, original paint, top and interior.
White, white top, red buckets.  The "B" is on the trim code, not the top code.

The light in the rear bow was NOT there, and the car was never touched.  It was either a mistake or they did not all come with it.

The car had most options except air conditioning.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

59-in-pieces

Michel,
I agree with Quentin and Jon and others - who have 59's - that the red oxide could be found on the floor under the car and the floor inside the car.
You will find that there is over spray of the outside color of the car in many cases from the rocker panels on to the under floor and from the sills on the inside floor.
Here is a photo of one of my original low miles no repaint 59 Eldos to show the red primer inside the car with sill white over spray.
I have posted a number of photos on this subject in previous threads, maybe you can still find them.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Michel Cadorin

I'm really convinced by friends that the original painting is red oxide with overspray in body color. Your help was very important for the perfect restoration of another 1959 Cadillac (1 of 99?)

I thank you all and especially to Mr. Quentin and Mr. Steve

M. Cadorin