News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

CARBON CANISTER 1978

Started by R Schroeder, December 16, 2012, 05:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Schroeder

Last year I was trying to find a vacuum leak in my engine.  I'm glad to say that has been found.
During the process I bypassed the EGR valve and the carbon canister, to eliminate those from the problem. After fixing the leak, the car runs like a top.
Last summer while showing the car , I had the hood open, and it smelled like gas. It was hot enough outside to push the fumes out the canister. So, I thought I would hook up part of it again.
One part I didn't want to hook up was the line to the top of the carb. Read about the small particles getting in the carb through the line. See picture of small carbon pieces. Carb will have a plug made for it.
So my set up will be more like the 77 model, except it will have the use of the vacuum valve.
In the 77 model it just sucked the fumes , from gas tank , through the canister, and into the PVC line, using a tee in the line. Constant flow.
Mine will be the same, except for the valve , which opens while the car is running at high vacuum,sucking out the canister.
I blocked off the port that the carbon pieces came out of, so I don't loose any. I will also use a plug on the top port , just to keep dirt out.  This side will no longer be used. It was the side for the carb bowl. See pictures.
I also made one other change to the system, since I dont use my EGR valve either. I put a plate over the area where the EGR valve was located, last year.
The line that feed the EGR valve also had a tee in it for the valve on the carbon canister. I now will have a line coming from the thermo control valve , right to the carbon canister valve.
This should eliminate my gas smell on those hot days, coming from the gas tank.
Roy

TJ Hopland

78-80 seemed to be a real bad time for those canisters.  I never had issues with them before or after that period.  When I had the problem with my 78 (charcoal in the carb) I thought it was a fluke till I talked to a bunch of guys that worked on those when they were common and they are the ones that told me they would just put a fuel filter inline to keep the chunks out of the carb.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

R Schroeder

I sort of remember you talking about that T.J. Sort of surprised me when I tipped it on its side to clean it up. They came out like salt.
I never had them get into the carb, but it really doesn't suck much as far as fumes out of the carb, as much as it does on the gas tank line. So, I'll plug it off, like the 77 models.
I want the car to run its best without problems.
Roy