News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac 1957 series 62 - Electric fuel pump question

Started by TBZ_57_Series_62, July 13, 2013, 01:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBZ_57_Series_62

I have recently repaired a gas tank and need to replace some fuel line... While doing so I found what appears to be an electric fuel pump (placed near the rear wheel space)  place directly inline with the fuel line (no slip-off of by-pass).  I had rebuilt the Manual Fuel pump under the hood - end of last Summer.

Now my question is, if the electric pump is NOT working will it damage the the Manual pump pulling the fuel through it?

Or if the pump IS working and is not on a switch of any kind (to shut it off), will it damage the Manual pump being that it is pushing the fuel up to the manual pump?

Or am I better off simply removing the electric pump and just running the fuel line from Tank to under the hood?

I appreciate anyone/everyone's help... I just don't want to damage the Manual Pump and have not had a chance to check the Electric pump to know if it is functioning.

Thanks
Ted

russ austin

Taking the electric fuel pump out of the fuel system is going to be easier than wondering if everything is going to work toogether.  Just be sure to disconnect the electrical power wire, and cap it so it doesnt short out.
R.Austin

Dave J

TBZ,
I may stand corrected, but in my amateur opinion, I don't think it will do any damage. I'm thinking that the electric pump pressure is relatively low and it only assists or overrides the mechanical pump in filling the bowl of the carburetor, the level of which is then controlled and maintained by the floats.

The previous owner of my 1956 Coupe de Ville installed an inline electric fuel pump with an on/off switch under the dash.  I only use it after long periods of inactivity where the fuel in the bowl has evaporated causing long cranking to start the car.  The electric pump refills the bowl quickly, then the car starts right up.  I could leave the pump on but I shut it off because I can, and because and my mechanical pump works fine.

Although I don't understand the theory, I have heard of people using electric pumps to fix vapor-lock problems.

Dave Johnson
Dave Johnson
56 CDV

Coupe Deville

I just replaced the machanical fuel pump on my 1959 Series 62. The car starts right away and runs great. It even started quick after sitting for 5 months. So i guess it all comes down to your preference and use of the car. If you wanted to keep the electric pump just for priming after the car had been sitting for awhile you could just do that. I think with a properly working and functioning machanincal pump you should have no problem. See if the pump has power going to it. If its not even hooked up you know your good to run on the factory pump alone. Just my thought. 
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"