News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Carl Steig has passed away

Started by Dan LeBlanc, August 26, 2014, 08:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan LeBlanc

For those of you who may not have heard the news as of yet, Carl Steig has passed away.  To anyone new to the club who may not have known him, Carl was our Chief Judge for 29 years and developed the current judging system that the CLC uses today.  The man, his knowledge, and his contribution to the club will surely be missed.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

76eldo

Sorry to hear that.

He served the club right up to the end.

Rest In Peace.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Walter Youshock

Carl's contributions to the CLC and other clubs was immeasurable.    I'm very glad I had the opportunity to speak with him at Nationals and serve as a judge.

He will be truly missed but never forgotten.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

C.R. Patton II

An automobile enthusiast and kind gentleman.  Sincere condolences to his family.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Terry Wenger

I was very sorry to hear that Carl has passed away.

Long before Carl was Chief Judge, he was able to get inside Cadillac and do extensive research on the cars especially those of the thirties and early forties cars that were recognized by the CLC at that time. Most of the information on body styles in the front part of every Membership Directory was the result of Carl's efforts. He concentrated on getting information from invoices on 1941 Sixty Specials, and helped me when I was putting together information on the late V16's.

He will be greatly missed.

Terry Wenger
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

Vince Taliano #13852

RIP Carl.

Left to Right: Rich Esposito, Herb Karow, Carl Steig, Joe Gildea and Rubye Musser
2007 CLC Grand National in Savannah, GA
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 3,000 pictures!)

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Carl was an exceptional individual. He had a fantastic memory, and if he read something once, he  was usually able to go to his files and retrieve the information he was seeking. It was seldom that I called to verify a fact that he couldn't say, "Wait a minute," and come up with the answer I needed.

On the few occasions I caught him up, he'd digest what we had been arguing about, and precede his next sentence with "Well..," and proceed to work out a reply that left you wondering which of you came out ahead in the end.

One couldn't say he was never wrong. It was simply that he was generally right.

He made our judging system his life work. He "disappeared" from about five PM on the Friday night before our Saturday GN show to get the various teams on paper, and didn't rest very much until the last trophy was given out on Saturday evening.

I would call him to chat months after the GN and he, as often as not, after saying "Hello," would ask, "Do you remember that 1963 Fleetwood at the show?" Whether or not I did, he would go into what problem the exhibitor had about his judging reports.

Carl wanted to take care of each problem he knew of relative to judging, and took to heart finding a solution. He simply cared. He loved our Club, and respected our members. Every time I called the last year, he was disgusted with his doctors that they couldn't find out what was wrong with him, so he could get well and keep going.

We are going to miss him.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Dan LeBlanc

I like that story.

Someone told me a story once about a particular individual who had a complaint about not receiving a first on his '59 and that Mr. Steig knew the confrontation was coming before it actually occured after the awards banquet.  Perhaps if that individual is so willing, he will share it here.  I liked hearing that story and I'm hoping he tells it here - especially Mr. Steig's candid response to the exhibitor who didn't have a comeback for it as he knew he had been beat in a match of gentlemanly wit.
Dan LeBlanc

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Sad news about a gentleman lost. R.I.P.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Bill Podany #19567

Members,

Carl Steig and I became friends in the CLC when he became acquainted with my 1941 60 Special and its original restoration, and subsequent re-restorations.  He was instrumental in awarding my car with the Ansel Sackett trophy.  He was always interested in helping me over the last 16 years, and his knowledge about this model was remarkable to me. The CLC Judging disciplines and methodologies were always fair and helpful with regard to making further improvements in authenticity. I will miss his casual friendship.

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN   
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado

Walter Youshock

I always liked his stance on driving with bias tires.  "If I could drive my '41 all across the country,  then anyone can drive with them."

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

My wife and I both worked with Carl at over 20 years of Grand Nationals -- myself in judging
and Karen in the tabulation room. A true gentleman and someone who genuinely cared about
our Club.  He gave of himself unselfishly for many years to help make the CLC what it is
today.  RIP and God Bless.  You will be missed.
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Richard Sills - CLC #936

With the passing of Carl Steig, we have lost a true gentleman with an encyclopedic knowledge of Cadillacs, and a steadfast devotion to the CLC and its principles. 

Judging is a subject that often gives rise to controversy, but no one ever questioned either the integrity or the knowledge that Carl brought to his responsibilities as Chief Judge.  When awards were given out at our Grand National Meets, there was always a disclaimer that they were "subject to audit" -- because if Carl determined after the fact that some mistake had been made in the tallying of the scores, he wanted to make sure he could correct it.  Once in awhile, someone who had received a second or third prize at a GN award ceremony would get a letter in the mail later, stating that after the judging sheets were re-checked, his car actually won a higher award -- and that higher award would be sent to the member, and his car would receive the appropriate recognition in the official list of GN winners.

My first introduction to Carl occurred at a GN meet back in the '80s, before I served in any position with the national CLC.  One of the cars entered for judging was a freshly restored 1959 Eldorado Biarritz, which gleamed and glistened in every place one could look.  When the award winners were called in that class, the 1959 Biarritz took a second place award, and a well preserved original Cadillac received the first place award.  The owner of the freshly-restored car was crestfallen at not winning a 1st place award, and approached Carl to ask whether some mistake had been made.  Carl was fully prepared for the inquiry.  He graciously told the owner that his car was very beautiful, and complimented him on all the work he had done.  But, he pointed out, "your car is shiny in many places where new Cadillacs were not shiny in 1959", and our Club's standards are based on authenticity.  In other words, the car had been "over-restored", and as a result, it suffered some deductions.  I remembered thinking that this result would happen in very few, if any, other clubs -- because over-restored cars winning the top awards was the usual way of the world at that time.  This experience provided a positive picture of the Cadillac-LaSalle Club and what it stands for, and Carl's commitment to authenticity made a strong impression.  (In the interest of full disclosure, the car that won the 1st place in that class was mine.  That is why I remember this so well, but that is not the point of the story.)

In addition to his long run as CLC Chief Judge, Carl was a Past President of both the CLC and the CCCA, as well as a long-time judge at the prestigious Pebble Beach concours.  It is difficult to think of anyone who has made a greater contribution to our hobby.  We will miss Carl greatly.

Walter Youshock

Those standards have made this club what it is.  Original cars are far more revered and appreciated today than ever.  Thankfully, Carl and the CLC embraced that years ago.  I think we have many more younger members seeking out prime unrestored cars that are being gently and lovingly preserved.  One reason I feel so strongly about the prestige and honor of the Past Presidents' award--Carl actually judged them if he was there!

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Series75

I hope Cadillac Division of GM honors this gentleman in Some creative way.  Who will take Carls place nixing radial tires on pre 1973 Cadillacs?  RIP.   Tom CLC #6866

Lucas Feininger #15674

I am sorry to hear about Mr. Steig passing away.

I had the pleasure of attending several of the Judge's Breakfasts that he presided over. He was a true gentleman, a master of Cadillac/LaSalle knowledge and at the same time extremely approachable and possessed of the utmost patience.

My sincere condolences to his family.

Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado
2014 SRX
CLC #15674

"The only way to travel is Cadillac style"

harry s

Sorry to her of Carl's passing. He was a true gentleman and a wealth of knowledge. His passion and impact on the hobby will long be remembered.      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc

Whit Otis, 1188

I had the opportunity to spend some time with Carl on a couple of occasions.  The first was when my family and I drove from Wyoming to attend our first Grand National back in the 1980’s in San Jose, CA.  I was somewhat of a newcomer at the time and I always remembered Carl’s kindness as we discussed details of his ’33 V12, a favorite year Cadillac for me.  As long time members, it is often easier to go hang out with other club members you have known over the years rather than spend time with new folks.  In Carl’s case, I never forgot and always appreciated this hour or so we spent together on the show field.  On more recent notes, we spent time together on the National Driving Tour in Texas a couple years ago. He and Ann Marie unselfishly gave up a half day worth of touring to stay behind and help a friend and I deal with some technical difficulties on his ’41-60S.  The most recent was when the National Board Meeting was held in Denver, CO.  He and Ann Marie took the time out of their visit to drive down to Colorado Springs to look over my ’41 Cad formerly owned by Mr. Sloan.  Of course, it goes without saying that his friendliness, sincerity, and open minded intellectual approach to fact finding is what most of us will remember him for.

But, as the old saying goes, “Wait, there’s more!”  His contributions to the club from the stand point of historical detail and authenticity issues are without peer.  Many of us join a club and throw in all our enthusiasm for a period of time, but then sometimes our interest becomes a bit more muted.  Carl’s enthusiasm for the marque and the club was constant for all of his years of association.  Certainly there are those who were much closer to Carl than I, and it would be good if they would elaborate in more detail all of the ways in which Carl served our club and paved the way for those of us who joined at later dates.  Rest in peace, friend.

Whit Otis
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger

Doug Houston

This will be a tough one for me.

So terribly much has already said about Carl and his life and career as chief judge. It certainly took a seemingly endless store of facts ,figures and order for a person to carry with him. Our acquaintence extends farther than I cal recall. Whenever Carl and I met, it must have been amusing for a casual listener th hear all the fgacts and figures flying between us. There were few other people I have ever met who were more pleasure to chat with about our pet Cadillac world.

The final curtain closes on the life of another of our beloved  friends. It's so painful to see it happen. There will never be another Carl Larry Steig, nor any  other to come  near to the irreplaceable figure that he was in our world.

God Love you, buddy!!

38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929