News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

I'm a new member - Need tips on searching for an Eldo convertible.

Started by warnercoffman, June 11, 2017, 10:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warnercoffman

Thanks for letting me in the Club! I'm eager to learn and network, but my first question for the group is a quick one: I am interested in buying an Eldorado convertible. Ideally 1971-78, Ideally in Persian Lime Firemist w/white leather. I've been following Hemmings, eBay and various classic car sales sites, but have only found one in that combination but it wasn't a good fit to what I aspire to find. Any tips or suggestions where I need to be looking? Thanks!
1974 Eldorado Convertible
1999 Eldorado ETC

The Tassie Devil(le)

Welcome to the CLC Message Board.

Firstly, whatever you are looking for, make sure it is the best in bodywork and upholstery you can find.   Anything mechanical can be easier fixed than the rest.

One of the problems with white upholstery, and that is the original stuff is that it will be virtually non-existent, because as soon as anyone sits on the seats with Jeans, the blue of the jeans material will start to stain the white leather.

By limiting your search, I feel that you will be missing out on some very good cars, and in one way, it is better to cruise around in something nearly as good, and then some time, what you want, will come into sight.

I waited around for my '72, as I wanted a car with TrackMaster.   Passed over a few, and as soon as I saw mine, I managed to purchase it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Tpicks55

It all depends on your pocket book and how much you are willing to spend.  Finding the exact one you want may not be impossible if you are willing to wait for the one you want.  If you get in a hurry and buy any car they all have problems that need addressed which cost money.  It depends on how your technical skills are to do most of the work yourself or pay to have it done.  I bought mine sight unseen and while it is in relatively in good shape I have lots to do to get it to a point for me to be satisfied with it and enjoy it.  I am by no means restoring it to show car status but I want it as original and the best I can make it.  It takes time to complete so how much time are you willing to invest or wait for it.  If color is a big deal a color change is easy if everything else is in great shape.  If I was doing this again I would outline what are my top requirements in order of preference and start the search and when you find the one with most of your hit list go for it.  Just my  opinion as every one here has one.  Good luck.   Tony
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS

The Tassie Devil(le)

Forgot to mention that there was no Cadillac Convertible in the years 1977 and 1978.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

NORTHPORTGUY

Welcome to the club.  Great choice for a hobby car but then I'm prejudiced.  You've come to the right place and the issues you'll surely face can most often be well addressed by the members here.

Ken Wiebke
member no  23013

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: warnercoffman on June 11, 2017, 10:17:30 PM
Any tips or suggestions where I need to be looking? Thanks!

Check eBay listings, Hemmings and all the usual online auto classified sites.

Strongly recommend sticking with top quality, low mileage originals in best condition you can find; examples needing anything but extremely minor restoration should be avoided.

Good luck in your search and welcome to the CLC forum.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

V63

Persian lime was a 1974 only color. It is a fairly bright Popsicle neon lime color. Looked great with white leather and lime accents. There was also a cranberry, magenta really and a Mandarin orange. Also available were plaid interiors.

LenInLA

Second the advice about getting the most car you can afford. I purchased a 1976 Eldorado convertible for $6K a year or so ago. $13K later, it's not anywhere near the car I could've bought for $20K. Buying cheap and restoring doesn't work at all.

Leonard Grayver

Scot Minesinger

I will third the buy the very best condition car you can.  One of my friends purchased a 1972 Eldorado convertible for 9k.  thirty thousand dollars later it is mechanically great, now just need to paint it, reupholster it, rebuild top mechanism and then replace the top.  So there it is about 60k invested to have a 20k car.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

kkkaiser

as a virgin buyer of a 73 eldorado

please listen to LeninLA and Soct Minnesinger,, i wish i had searched out this advice before I bought mine,, started at 6.8k,  now up around 12 or so..

gary griffin

It depends on your tolerance for cost and time overruns.  I have done a few restorations and always exceed  budget and schedule. Find and buy the best you can afford and drive and Enjoy it.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

jdemerson

Quote from: warnercoffman on June 11, 2017, 10:17:30 PM
I am interested in buying an Eldorado convertible. Ideally 1971-78, Ideally in Persian Lime Firemist w/white leather.  Any tips or suggestions where I need to be looking? Thanks!

Join the Cadillac LaSalle Club so that you get the Self Starter publication which has an excellent Classified section. Also check the For Sale section of this message board. Hemmings is excellent; eBay and Craigs List could help but be sure to have a knowledgable member check out a car carefully if you can't see it yourself.

The advice offered above is right and important. Lime Green Firemist is very limiting, and I'd probably expand the color choices to at least a few others that you would find acceptable and interesting. Eldorado had lots of good choices in the 70s besides black, red, white, silver. The Firemist colors are often striking.  If funds are unlimited, you could get a perfect white convertible and have it painted Lime Green Firemist (although the purists will not like this suggestion).

Good luck and please do keep us posted on your search progress.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac 6219X in (boring but classy) Black
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

joeinbcs

Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
College Station, TX  77845
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

1967 Eldorado, Atlantis Blue Firemist (slick top), Blue leather.

Bill Young

Not to beat a dead horse but in the interest of helping a new Member I would also recommend purchasing the very best example your wallet will allow. That being said however ALWAYS buy the car only if you are really turned on by it because you don't want to buy a car that you don't like the color combination or some other thing that you cannot live with. I own a 1972 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible and I Love the car and they are totally at ease in modern traffic too.

dochawk

Quote from: Bill Young on June 19, 2017, 11:41:15 AM
I own a 1972 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible and I Love the car and they are totally at ease in modern traffic too.

Modern traffic, though, can be ill at ease with a '72.

"It's not going to eat me, is it?" 

:P

1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

James Landi

I trust that Bill and "Doc" are adding some humor to the conversation; however, for the sake of "sage" advice, I, having owned a three 1980's Cadillacs, two of which were convertibles,the notion of  keeping up with traffic with a frail and aging (superannuated) 4100 HT engine is truly a serious consideration.  I absolutely LOVED these cars, but driving them on route 95 around metropolitan areas was a real chore.  And having them fully loaded with people and trunk items met that on inclines, maintaining speeds in excess of 57 mph was not possible. So engine types are a serious consideration, if, in fact, your plans include some highway driving.  As is the case with Bill and "Doc," I also owned a 1972 convertible, and that was, indeed, a highway car, with its 500 cid engine--- wow.    Happy hunting   James

Greg Powers

The best advice I ever got was from a dear friend in this club. He said as many others "Buy the Best Car You Can Buy for the Most You Can Afford to Spend" , in other words a really low price deal is usually a real "MONEY PIT''. My other advise is to be patient. Sometimes buying in haste means the one you really want may come up for sale after you've already bought something else. Wait for just the right one to come along and then grab it.(Use other club members to check out a car if you can't do it yourself. ) Best of luck - Greg
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

NORTHPORTGUY

To reiterate make sure you join the CLC. 

Realize too as a byproduct of joining you can have access to local chapters' newsletters. 
Those newsletters are  a great place to look for cars for sale and read about real world tips others have gained from their experiences. 

Ken Wiebke

Member number 23013

TC

I grew up around the identical car you want but it was a 1974 coupe. A very 70s color and cool today.

However, and I dissent, but personally feel the 71-76 Eldorado convertibles are not very good cars. Beautiful but not very good IMO.

I have owned five of various years and they all were poor drivers COMPARED to a rear wheel drive DeVille convertible. Plus, the Eldos top mechanism and windows are always needing some attention.  But I am biased and just not a front wheel drive kinda guy so my opinion is personal sans the windows and top issues.

If you have to have the Eldo look and the color, then you have to get a 74. But, if you just want a Caddy convertible, get a DeVille.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Actually, when comparing a Convertible to the Coupe, as an every-day driver, the Coupe will win hands down.

There is always going to be horrendous noise when driving a convertible, and listening to the radio, or tape, the only time it is actually worth listening to is when at the stop lights, or parked at the Supermarket when the other half is inside shopping.

I purchased a good radio, and accompanying quality speakers for my '72 Convertible, and am sorry that I did.

The Sound system in my '72 Eldorado Coupe, even though the car had serious rust around the back window, it was pleasant at any speed from parked to 100 MPH.

BUT, do I love my convertible, hell yes.   The only thing I might do one day is to fabricate a removeable hard top for it, using parts of a spare convertible mechanism I have.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe