News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

To Remove or Not to Remove......the fender

Started by Jeff Wilk, March 27, 2012, 08:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

OK.......I am going to have to write this entire story up one day as it is the classic of classics's tale of "While we are at it, lets just do........this too!"  See the picture below of our 59 Fleetwood simply getting the brake booster replaced......and that led to one thing and another and another to the point where we now have removed all you see and the front fenders are literally, truly only attached by the one large screw at the top inside the front door cowl area, and the two lower bolts to the frame area.  THATS ALL.

So my question is this.......would it cause a great deal of problems for my Son and I to align this entire assembly again if we remove the fenders at this point?  We took all of this out without disturbing the remaining fender mounts and shims and I am hesitant to take them off for some fear of the unknown.  Believe it or not, we have NEVER done anything like this before and want to avoid disaster or hours and hours of attempts to align fenders, hoods, etc.  So should we leave well enough alone, or just finish the entire front end and under hood detailing completely by taking off these last 6 fasteners and doing the rest????

Advice???

Jeff and Noah
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Jeff Wilk

Any thoughts here before we remove them this weekend???

:-\
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

C.R. Patton II

Don't worry about the unknown. Be positive and believe that you are "doing the best job for your car long term".
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

quadfins

Go ahead and take them off all the way. You can then get into otherwise inaccessible locations to clean and rustproof. I did it on my '61, and applied thick coats of glossy rust-o-leum in all places that would not show. That way, I feel, water and other contaminants will have a harder time getting to the sheet metal.

It really is not too difficult to re-align, especially if you leave the shims alone, or note how many go where.

It is also quite interesting to get inside and see how these machines are built - very educational.

jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4