News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Want To Buy - Parts / Re: Looking to purchase 390 en...
Last post by Big Fins - Today at 04:38:35 AM
Best to leave your options open to years up to 1962. Great improvements to the transmission over the '59 models. Engines are pretty much the same.
General Discussion / Re: Goodbye & thanks.
Last post by MultipleCaddies - Today at 03:38:39 AM
Quote from: 79 Eldorado on Yesterday at 07:11:46 PMThanks TJ, I was in that section and just missed it. I think because I was looking for an actual number instead of a blank box because I knew I had joined.

I did find my confirmation email. It was dated the 28th of December 2021 but I cannot find a number anywhere. I do recall spending quite a bit of time entering all of the details for my vehicles but perhaps they encouraged that before confirmation? I have no idea. I can see in the confirmation email the color of the hot link has already changed which seems to indicate I followed it when it arrived.

If something simply didn't "take" that would explain why I've never received any communication encouraging me to extend the membership. I just assumed that I was still under the extended period but I didn't realize it's been 2yrs and 4 months. I joined only because I wanted to support the forum by being paid but I have serious concerns regarding the policy and longevity of the forum. I gave the CT forum example. That site, for 1965-1970 large cars, was considered the authority for information and now Facebook type groups have really diluted the forum activity (and other forums from what I understand). There's so much existing information on that site that, if you have the patience to search existing content, you can likely find the answer to almost any question you have. My point being forums are already on life support and this policy is just helping to pull the plug regardless of what I do. I do encourage ebay buyers to join the forum if they aren't already members.

People asked if Paul was from California. I'm pretty certain that's Paul from the UK.

Scott

Your point about forums like this being on life support already is as entirely lost on some of these folks as it was to many of the first class passengers on the Titanic. Sheltered from reality most of their lives, unwilling to even consider the reality that the ship is in fact sinking, until it was utterly forced upon them as the ship settled into the water. But by the time they realized it, it was of course far too late to have any hope of stopping it. Even those who at first were unwilling to accept it were forced to abandon ship. It is a perfect analogy to what is happening here. Except in the case of this forum, they aren't even attempting to steer away from the iceberg, they're accelerating towards it with foolish arrogance - and after smashing into it, they declare in unison "this is fine".
Last post by MultipleCaddies - Today at 03:26:55 AM
Quote from: gkhashem on Yesterday at 07:54:39 PMI got a question for Mr. Doyle.

How many car clubs do you belong to, and could you name them for us.

I belong to the CLC, Buick, Oldsmobile Club of America, Antique Oldsmobile Club, AACA and the Pontiac Oakland GMC club. 

What is sadly lost on the old guard is that cliquey clubs like this are on their way to becoming a thing of the past. There is a reason why gatherings like Cars and Coffee are rapidly gaining in popularity all over the place, while these kinds of old car clubs are on the decline. An awful lot of people simply cannot understand or accept that, even when it stares them straight in the face. But more importantly, they don't understand WHY.. I'm sitting here trying to explain it to you, and instead of debating the points, so many resort to all manner of ways to either change the subject or to try to turn it around on the person who tries to point it out to them. Attacking the messenger because you simply can't debate on the merits.

It doesn't matter what answer I give you. Whether I tell you I'm a member of zero clubs or 37, your opinion of me and my credibility is already set in stone. I'm an outsider, not part of your clique, so my opinion is entirely irrelevant to you. That's why the old guard is in decline, and a new generation of car shows and enthusiast gatherings is rapidly growing. Folks that are truly in it for the love of the cars - It's not about who you know or who you hobnob with. But for so many of you it is. It's another way to show off for the clique. I've been going to big car shows since I was a teenager, I've been working on cars my entire adult life, I run a restoration shop where literally all I do is build, restore and maintain classic cars for people who actually drive them. Dare I say, I'm far more deeply immersed in the classic car world than most of the people here. I've contributed so much in terms of keeping so many of these cars on the road, putting them back on the road after someone cast them aside, and helping a lot of people have a lot of fun with their beloved old cars. I have introduced numerous people to the hobby, young and old, and brought many people to the many, many car shows I've gone to over the years. I've spent huge amounts of my own money on my own cars, and incalculable amounts spent by others for me to fix and restore their old cars. So excuse me if I COMPLETELY dismiss the absurd notion that spending money on joining a car club is somehow the gold standard upon which someone's credibility or acceptance in this world should be judged. Dare I say, I've contributed MUCH more to the hobby as a whole than most of you here.

So you want to know and understand why I have no interest in joining your cliquey club? Because you aren't in it for the cars nearly as much as I am, you're in it for the popularity contest. For the who you know and who you hobnob with factor. It's the same on almost all clubs like this. A handful of the most popular members of the clique circle around the outsider in an attempt to wear him down and drive him away, so you can preserve your echo chamber. You will succeed in your efforts with most people. They will seek out advice and info elsewhere, because most people do not have enough fight or interest in them to take on these battles. Well I do, which is why several of you have honed in your efforts to drive me out. Because I represent a real challenge to the status quo. Like I said, the model is dying off. We all know it, but apparently only some of us know why. The old guard hasn't figured it out yet and likely never will. They will simply watch their numbers decline and wonder why, despite people like me explaining it to you.

The people who need to hear this the most are the ones pushing back the hardest on me. You simply cannot handle someone with REAL passion and conviction who disagrees with you. Well you can turn away from it, but you can't make it go away. What's the next step? Banning me entirely? Talk about proving my point entirely in front of the entire audience. You've got a number of leaders of the old guard who've stepped up and locked swords. But there's plenty of others quietly watching this and seeing what's going on here and not liking it any more than I do. Don't think this will affect your membership in the end? Boy, are you in for some serious disappointment. Just don't say I didn't tell you exactly what will happen.
Last post by dogbergs - Today at 02:29:11 AM
I've not been here that long, but since -21.
I wanted to become a paying member because I used the restoration forum as documentation to myself, with a posibility of others to correct me and debate, that last part it has not been too much of though. This is like Google supreme with extra everything talking Caddy's, I mean you have Tasmania, Florida, Switzerland, North Carolina and Minneapolis connected, all here for the love of Cadillacs
The CLC member ship change will need a year or so to show how forums took the hit we're now facing, think they will be fine.

Thanks / Johan

Restoration Corner / Re: 1969 Cadillac DeVille Proj...
Last post by mario - Today at 02:14:58 AM
Flexplate on backwards? Converter not seated all the way?
Good luck
Ciao,
Mario Caimotto
Last post by Carfreak - Yesterday at 11:00:04 PM
Quote from: gkhashem on Yesterday at 07:54:39 PMI got a question for Mr. Doyle.

How many car clubs do you belong to, and could you name them for us.

I belong to the CLC, Buick, Oldsmobile Club of America, Antique Oldsmobile Club, AACA and the Pontiac Oakland GMC club

Me too plus MVPA and SPAAMFAA and a few local regions/chapters of the above clubs.
Last post by The Tassie Devil(le) - Yesterday at 10:41:20 PM
Quote from: MultipleCaddies on Yesterday at 11:31:49 AMDid you miss the part where I said I live 2,500 miles away and attending is simply not in the cards? ALL "benefits" related to it are not relevant to me as a result.
Looks like you didn't even read what I posted.  I am 11,000 miles away, down at the bottom of the Southern Hemisphere.  The only reason I have not driven over to Western Australia for the Australian CLC Rally is due to health reasons. (2,600 miles, plus an all night ferry trip)

Bruce. >:D
Probably the Commercial Ambulance in the far back of the parking lot.

As John said, RHD countries have different requirements, especially Dip to the Left for Low Beams, and High Beams are the same everywhere, straight ahead.  When I used to import cars from USA, I would leave the Low Beam lights in USA, as they are useless here.   When I was doing RHD Conversions, the first thing to be removed was the Low Beam Headlight, and that went into the bin, smashed.

One thing that is happening down here is that with all the complaints about the new LED lights, and Light Bars, the Authorities are looking into this, and soon, uncontrolled light beams on Low will be outlawed.   Plus, it is illegal to use the LED Light Bars in residential areas.

But, the biggest problem all over the world is these high vehicles with their headlights so high above the "Normal" cars, I wouldn't be surprised if there are going to be regulations regarding these.   Nothing worse than being in front of a Dodge Ram or F350 in a Cadillac, at night.   Even the adjustable anti-glare rear vision mirror is overpowered.

The problem with using LED conversions in original headlights, where the globe is replaceable, the beam emitted doesn't comply.   In the fine print on most of their boxes stated that the lights do not comply with the Road Laws.  Especially the high-powered ones.

Lastly, when I was picking my Eldorado Convertible, I had to completely disregard the mid '70's as they had the rectangular lights.   Cannot get them down here.