News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1962 390 exhaust manifold

Started by 123.caddy62, November 05, 2008, 03:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123.caddy62

Can I replace a 1962 model 390 left manifold without air condition with a manifold from a model with air condition, and how important is a heatriser?                                                                                                                                                                                                          Paris

Otto Skorzeny

I think you can swap the manifolds but I'm not sure.

As for the heat riser, are you talking about the heat valve or the hot air tube running up to the choke from the manifold?  I've been using my car as a driver for 7 years without a valve and have no trouble. I live in Atlanta so it doesn't get very cold, even in the winter.

I do, however have the copper tube to the choke intact and functioning. In my opinion the valve is really only useful in really cold climates to aid in engine warm up. If your car is cold natured, put it on.

The hot air tube should always be installed for proper operation of the choke.

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

123.caddy62

The heatriser is the valve off the driverside manifold.

Roger Zimmermann

The 1962 LH exhaust manifold has the same part number for car with or without A/C.
Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

123.caddy62

Thank you Roger. Do you have any info about the heat riser and if it's needed in a warm year around climate?

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: 123.caddy62 on November 07, 2008, 05:29:42 AM
Do you have any info about the heat riser and if it's needed in a warm year around climate?
Well, it's up to you: it depends if you would like to have a correct set-up or not. My 3 cars have the heat riser, even if I'm driving them only in the "good" season (Switzerland has not the same climate than California). On a 1962 car, you will need it to align the front exhaust tube to both outlets (RH & LH). You may just take the outer shell of a defective heat riser, remove the butterfly, weld the holes in the side and use it as a spacer.
In mild climate, the heat riser is open is a time frame of 5 to 10 minutes (my guess!)
Good luck,
Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Otto Skorzeny

I see that you live in Bakersfield, CA.

I use my '56 year round in Atlanta, GA. It gets down in the 30s here now and then in the winter and my car starts, warms up, and runs fine without the manifold heat control valve.

I've driven it on days when the weather is in the teens and have absolutely no problem. I don't think you'll notice any problems where you live.As Roger pointed out, if you're putting the car together for judging purposes, then install one, or at least install the housing. If you aren't planning on entering judged shows, don't worry about it.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE