News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

53 coupe tires

Started by 03vorteczr2, March 30, 2009, 10:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

03vorteczr2

Hello everyone,

I want to put some new tires on my 53 coupe. I was looking at the diamondback radials in a 235/75/15 size. Im going with them for the fact that I can get a 3 3/4 White Wall on a radial. Do any of you guys with the 50-53 body style cars have radials? If so what size are you guys running with what size of white wall? Is there any rubbing on the fenders? Right now the car is stock height but I have future plans to lower the car a few inches and dont want any rubbing then either if I go with that size. I read a couple of posts about a 235/75/15 rubbing the front fender on a 56 at full lock but not sure about the 53. Pictures would be great too!! Sorry for the long post.

Thanks,
Chris
Christopher Martinez
1952 Cadillac Coupe De Ville
1953 Cadillac Coupe

Philippe M. Ruel

The tires on my '52 are 235/75/15 radials with white strips (no white walls).
The springs are stock originals, but have sinked (is it the right word ?) with years - see picture.
Passenger side tire rubs on fender on full right turns. It rubs less after replacing steering linkage, ball joints and idler/pitman arms, and adjusting everything properly last winter, but it still rubs.
1952 60 Special in France.

Ross Morgan #22943

Chris, after last year's Grand National in Cherry Hill, a few of us noticed that some tyres that were being used were Goodyear radials EXCEPT this particular class had a lip/edge running around the outer edge of the white wall.  Result is that it looks possibly the closest thing to a bias ply.  For me, this is a blessing because I've finally got what I wanted (after much searching) and is an ideal compromise.  The white wall is 3 1/4" wide.  These tyres have been fitted to is a 1953 convertible and will be driven in about 3 weeks time (and looking forward to seeing how they perform).  I would not think there would be any rubbing issues but I'll let you know!

This tyre can be found at www.kelseytire.com/pages/radialtires.html

Ross Morgan.

Art Woody

I have Diamondback radials on my '53 coupe size 225/75/15. This is the close to correct crossover size for the coupes. Fleetwoods ,etc. would carry the 235's. These radials replaced my bias ply Cokers, which looked fantastic and probably more correct, but were not drivable. I drive my car at least every decent weekend, and you can't appreciate the difference until you make the switch to radials in combination with gas shocks. (Monroe Sensatracs) The handling and ride are amazing. It's like I took off a thousand pounds. The good thing about a '53 is the modern front and rear gas shocks are available over the counter at any well stocked parts store, or at least next day. I stress Monroe Sensatracs. As far as the tires I would have liked a bit wider white, as I had ordered, but was shipped incorrectly and mounted & installed before I realized it. Diamond back offered to make the switch, but I did not wish to put the wear and tear on my freshly painted wheels. Also I had to have the tires trued and balanced on the car to get the peak performance. Again well worth the effort.

Jim Salmi #21340

This post is very timely, because I also am in the market for new shoes for my '52.  I have also heard good things about the Diamondbacks, and not such good things about a certain other maker of vintage tires.

BUT, I have been told by my mechanic that I should put radial tubes in the tires before mounting, because these older rims were not designed with tubeless radial tires in mind.  He says they sometimes leak.  What do the rest of you think?

Thanks,

Jim Salmi
CLC #21340
1952 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan

Art Woody

I don't see what it would hurt to run tubes, but at the same time you might as well do a full cosmetic resto on your wheels. Make sure you have no warpage or rim damage and with a nice smooth paint job or powder coat, they should seal just fine. My D-Backs are going on five years, with no leakage, thankfully, since I am not running valve stems protruding out of my hubcaps. This requires me to remove the hubcaps yearly to adjust for pressure loss in colder weather. However there has been some discussion as to the strength of the wheel design and effects of age of the wheel and wether or not a radial tire applies more stress than a bias ply type. The roads these days are certainly more forgiving than roads of the era, and even driven on my every opportunity for pure enjoyment, does not seem to rack up many miles yearly.  My rare ventures on to the interstate, I  am comfortable running as fast as the traffic wants to flow or better. ( No tubes here).

Otto Skorzeny

Tubes really can't hurt but I don't have any on my '56  (with radials) and they don't leak. The original bias plys were also tubeless so I don't know what the problem would be.

I don't know when Cadillac first started using tubeless bias ply tires but if the guy putting them on is guaranteeing his work, I'd let him do what he deems best.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Philippe M. Ruel

Quote from: ottoskorzeny on March 31, 2009, 03:13:05 PMI don't know when Cadillac first started using tubeless bias ply tires
From the Data Books, tubeless tires became standard in 1955. I don't know if they were offered before as an option.

I have equipped my radial tires with tubes as well.

35-709

Read this from Diamondback's catalog about radials on older rims ----
http://www.widewhitewalltires.com/2009_wide_white_wall_catalog/hi/33.htm
this also about tubes part way down the page ----
http://www.widewhitewalltires.com/2009_wide_white_wall_catalog/hi/34.htm

For a 760-15 original size tire a 225-75R15 is recommended, for an 800-15 a 235-75R15 is the recommendation

My '41 60 Special had radials on the original rims and was driven trouble-free all over the U.S. and is still on the road.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Forgotmypassword #594

I've had Diamondback tubeless radials on my '40 60S 16" wheels for nine years and they hold pressure better than my late model cars. Have driven many miles at interstate speeds with no problems.

P W Allen CLC# 20193

I went with the Kelsey Radials on my 53 coupe about three years ago. I can't say enough about them. A huge improvment over the bias plys. Much nicer ride and no more tracking all over the place. I went tubless with mine on the original wheels. No leakage problems whatsoever. They look great too.

Paul

Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

03vorteczr2

Thanks everyone for the input! This helps a lot!! Ill have to look into the kelsey radials too they look really good!
Philippe, how much do they rub? Just barely touching or really grabbing the fender?
Ross, Yes please let me know how they work out for you if you can.
Art, Those 225's look really good on the car. How wide of white wall did they send you?
P W Allen, Are you running 235's like ross? If so do they rub at all?

Thanks again,

Chris
Christopher Martinez
1953 Cadillac Coupe

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

WHY run tubes??? It's just another source for heat. Years ago when I was first useing wire wheels, I sealed the spokes with silicone & ran them tubeless as well.  That's how my 53 is now.  Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Philippe M. Ruel

Quote from: 03vorteczr2 on March 31, 2009, 10:04:07 PMPhilippe, how much do they rub? Just barely touching or really grabbing the fender?
Well, it happens on full turns, but I stop turning when I hear noise, so I don't know if they would touch more if I turned more... I'll check that next sunday.

Moreover, rear wheels are difficult to change with 235 tires and a lowered car (and YES, I did use the original high-lift jack, and the fender skirt was removed ;D) especially putting them back in place - you know, when you are on the roadside, carrying that 16-ton wheel at arm's length and blind-looking for studs location >:( - because room between brake drum and fender sheet must be a little less than these 235 mm so you have to push wheel hard inside wheel well. I even once used a small jack between suspension springs and frame to help them move away from each other :-\.

Art Woody

In answer to Chris's question , mine are 2.75''. I ordered 3.25'', same width as the new Coker bias ply tires I took off. They were only disappointing for a short while, because of the difference. If I had a show car, I would have kept the bias tires on an extra set of wheels for show. I like the looks of the 3.75'' whites, but that is getting close to the pavement on 225's. By the way, the D-Backs are still as white as the day I bought them. Mine is not a show car, but sometimes a show stopper.The main thing is make sure your wheels are in good condition, and sealing won't be a problem. One problem  if you are searching junkyards and swapmeets for wheels, a car sitting for periods of years on flat tires will retain a large amount of water
and tend to deteriorate the metal around the valve stem hole ON THE INSIDE. So no matter how good it looks on the outside be sure to inspect the inside for severe pitting or rust in this area, it can get dangerously thin. You can weld a patch here and drill valve stem hole elsewhere if need be.

03vorteczr2

Thanks guys for the response! Ill try to post a pic on here once I get some tires and have them installed. Just have to figure out which ones to get!!

Thanks,
Chris
Christopher Martinez
1953 Cadillac Coupe

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Quote from: 03vorteczr2 on March 31, 2009, 10:04:07 PM
Thanks everyone for the input! This helps a lot!! Ill have to look into the kelsey radials too they look really good!
Philippe, how much do they rub? Just barely touching or really grabbing the fender?
Ross, Yes please let me know how they work out for you if you can.
Art, Those 225's look really good on the car. How wide of white wall did they send you?
P W Allen, Are you running 235's like ross? If so do they rub at all?

Thanks again,

Chris
Sorry Chris, I didn't notice your question before. Yes I am running the 235's, no rubbing at all. One little thing though, I bought 5 tires so I could have a matching spare. The radials are just a little wider than the old bias plys. The spare 235 radial will not fit into the spare tire well with the tire inflated!! My solution was to buy a small compressor to carry in the trunk and to deflate the tire. Works!

Paul

Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

03vorteczr2

Finally getting around to posting a picture on the tires I purchased.
Christopher Martinez
1953 Cadillac Coupe

Otto Skorzeny

So what tires and size did you finally get?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

03vorteczr2

Oops I left out the important stuff. I got diamondback radials in a 235/75/15 size with 3.75 whitewall.
Christopher Martinez
1953 Cadillac Coupe