News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Has anyone used Diamondback Classics and are happy with the results?

Started by collector, June 25, 2009, 01:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

collector

I want to get as close to my original tires as possible and they make something close but not in the tread I desire. Has anyone used them and do they look nice or kind of Hokie?  My real desire would be to buy anyones original unused spares and pay 200.00 for each one and replace theirs and pay for shipping and installation of a new one for them. The originals were a one year only 1974 Uniroyal ZETA 40M steel belted radial L78 15 with the 8mm white wall that is close to the rim. Here is a picture of one of my originals which is like new

jaxops

I have Diamondback commercial-heavy duty tires on my car.  I am compeltely satisfied and have had them on for the last 3 years.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

TonyZappone #2624

I have had Diamondback tires on my 4160S, 58 convert, 47 convert for four or five years.  I like the idea that they are modern tires, government approved, and that  they ride and drive beautifully.  Maybe I have one or two brown spots on the whitewalls among all the cars.  I am more worried about safety than driving on bias belted tires.  I am no longer accustomed to driving on bias belt tires, and want the comfort and handling of radials.  Moreover, these are nice people to deal with.  I just received a senior award, CCCA on the 47 Convert.  Apparently many clubs are over looking the authenticity of radials.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Fred Zwicker #23106

I installed a set of new Diamondback whitewall radials on my 1939 LaSalle 2-dr convertible, but in view of the current CLC judging standards, also purchased a complete set of whitewall bias tires and tubes (and a complete set of extra wheels) for last year's CLC Grand National (read "add $1000 extra cost").  I won a first in my class at Cherry Hill and a Senior Badge with the bias tires.  I would hate to think the results had I not gone to the extra time and expense of purchasing and installing the bias tires for this judging.   

As soon as I returned from Cherry Hill, I immediately changed back to the Diamondback radial tires, as have had plenty of trouble with the rotator cuff in my left shoulder, and turning the steering wheel at a stop or very low speeds is almost impossible with the bias tires.  Why the CLC and many (but not all) other clubs insist on bias tires is a big mystery to me.

After the judging at last year's CLC Grand National, my car was shown at the Glenmoor Gathering in Canton, Ohio (invitation only concourse event) and I entered the car with the radial tires installed.  Evidently at that event, the judges were not so nit-picky, as I won a first in my class with the radial-ply tires.  At a glance, it is almost impossible to tell the difference, so isn't it about time that some of rules from the past be upgraded just a little bit?

I am going on record as recommending that if the radial tires are about the same size and appearance (whitewall width and possibly a reasonable tread design) that there should be no point deduction for displaying our cars with radial tires, both from a safety standard, as well as a convenience to those of us who have a hard time dealing physically when driving cars without power steering.

Attached are two pictures - the first is at the 2008 GN (with bias tires).  The second is at the 2008 Glenmoor show (with radial tires).  Can you see much (if any) noticeable difference?  Is it really worth the time and expense to have to deal with two sets of tires and wheels just to comply with what I feel is an outdated set of rules concerning the tires?  It is time for a change......

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Walter Youshock

An AUTHENTICTY deduction is what would be in order.  The AACA does this as well.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Otto Skorzeny

Since when is authenticity an iron clad rule?  In fact since when are any of the rules iron clad? I've seen cars with obvious repaints win preservation awards among other things.

An upgrade for safety that doesn't alter the original construction of the vehicle, like tires, should be allowed as long as it's done in a tasteful manner appropriate to the era of the vehicle.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

collector

Congrats on your beautiful car and win. Yes I like authintic down to the last detail, which in my case is the tires. The ones I want are steel belted radials but original. I have 5 of my cars with the original tires and they ride like a dream. I dont give a second thought about the age unless they are cracking or dry, then I worry. I never drive over 50 on them and they only get driven around town and periodically. Esp at night time when its 100 with the top down and the ac going and no 0 humidity in the air, its a slice of heaven. I was at the junk yard the other day and there sitting alone in the middle was my tire but alas, too dry to even concider. If only it had been left in a trunk. Oh well, Ill find them, I usually do. I havent had much luck on the Cadillac sight as much as the Lincoln sight. It seems they are a little more willing to help out and answer questions, where on here people just skip it buy even if they can help. I always try and help when I can.

Bill Ingler #7799

Your original question to this forum : Has anyone used Diamondback Classics and are happy with the results? You have had 3 positive responses from individuals on Diamondbacks and I will add a forth. Good tires -I have them on two cars and Bill the owner of Diamondbacks is great on knowing his product as well as providing good service. Your last sentence on not getting the response from this web site as you do from the Lincoln site doesn`t add up. Did you not get answers to your original question?

buicksplus

Friends:

I bought four Diamondbacks for my 40 LaSalle when they first came out, probably 10 years ago.  Those early tires were p225X15  radials (My LaSalle, like many, had it's original 16in wheels replaced sometime in the 50's). 

The whitewalls yellowed pretty badly after a couple of years, even though the car was mostly garaged.  She drove beautifully, but the tires were wide profile and slow speed steering was heavy.  I thought the sidewalls seemed rather thin, Diamondback agressively buffs them to prepare to bond on the whitewall -- but overall, they worked OK, I took the car on several cross country trips with no tire problems.

When it came time to replace them, Diamondback was offering a Yokohama 7:00X15 tire that is actually a trailer tire with an 85 series profile.  It looks tall and narrow, just like the original tires.  I was going to buy them from Diamondback, but they charge quite a bit for putting on the whitewall.  I finally decided to get the Yokohamas directly (they were $100 each from a local dealer) and I have been very pleased with them.  It only takes a little time to get used to the blackwalls, they are really more correct for the period anyway.

I did find Diamondback very reasonable and prompt to deal with...

Bill,  Albuquerque
Bill Sullivan CLC# 12700

jeff1956

I have used diamondback tires for the past 6 years on my 56 Fleetwood with zero issues, not even yellowing or cracking.  I do keep them cleaned, about twice a month or every week if I'm going to shows every weekend.  The base tire is a Dayton Quadra SE 235/75/15.  I'd recommend them over any bias tire, if you're going to drive this car. These tires saved my life, literally.  A dodge truck pulled into the roadway into my lane, so I switch lanes to go around him as he was not up to speed, as I got up near the rear of his truck he decided to get into my lane.  I started to lose control of the car and the rear end lost grip, but I was able to regain control...it did get hairy for a moment and boy was I hot when it was over, but I know had I had the bias tires installed at the time, the car would definitely not be here and probably I would not be as well since the car has no seat belts.   I know the debate about stress fractures etc. in the rims, but when you're running 55 and a bias tire decides to find a groove in the road or if you're travelling in a lane frequented by tractor trailers GOOD LUCK.  My radials have given me YEARS of excellent service....I've only put about 5 or 6K miles on them.  In a few years when it's time to replace them due to age, I will go back with Diamondback tires again.  I bought my tires with a beauty ring...it makes them look almost exactly like a bias tire sidewall...but you can see the flex in the tire like any radial will show, especially on the front with the weight of the engine.

Jeff

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on June 26, 2009, 12:07:55 PM
Since when is authenticity an iron clad rule?  In fact since when are any of the rules iron clad? I've seen cars with obvious repaints win preservation awards among other things.

An upgrade for safety that doesn't alter the original construction of the vehicle, like tires, should be allowed as long as it's done in a tasteful manner appropriate to the era of the vehicle.
[/color]

The difficulty with this argument is:  What do you do in judging a class, where one car has the correct bias tires and the other radials?  I can tell you from many years of experience, that the radials
will cost you as an "authenticity" deduction.  If you wish to drive on radials, that's your choice.
However, there are many suppliers of good quality original type bias-ply tires (such as Coker)
that are excellent reproductions.  They will win out every time.

I will agree that radials offer better handling but -- Back in "the day" we drove on bias ply tires all the time without a problem.  There are also other issues to consider (search the message board) concerning using radials on older wheels not designed for them (flexing of the sidewall that contributes to wheel flange fatigue and cracking).

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

jeff1956

There are all types of arguments out there....a radial guy could come back and say the reason you drove on them with no problem was because there was no other alternative to a bias tire "back in the day".....Personally, I wouldn't have them...authenticity or not they're a safety hazard with the roadways the way they are today. Too much traffic, etc....maybe they'd be fine for a trailered car that is never driven. One of these days the government will probably outlaw them....what will the authenticity manuals have to say when/if that day comes?  I'm not old enough to remember bias ply tires....I've driven my 56 on a set of remington cushionaires, but not for long.  The car drove like a POS, no offense. The car drives so much nicer on a set of modern radials that happen to be made by diamondback, to mimic the look of the bias tire.  I think as long as the car has the appropriate "look" as in whitewall width, etc.  No points should be deducted for going with a new type radial tire that is safer than the OE bias tire.  Maybe I don't take my car to shows that are this critical, but most shows do not deduct points for modifying a car for safety reasons.  I'd say a tire is a safety item.....bias just aren't that safe to be driving in today's traffic situations...you have to really stay on top of the car to make sure it stays where it's supposed to.  Critics are sometimes too harsh when they say oh this bolt is the wrong one, it should have this stamping etc.  To me, that's just too picky.  These cars should be admired for what they are, not cut down because a trivial thing, such as radial tires, have been installed.  For what it's worth, that's my two cents....

Jeff

Guidematic

You could make the same argument for disc brake conversions, so where does it stop?

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69