News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Ordering the New Motorama Book

Started by Brian Laurance, November 21, 2006, 11:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucas F. CLC #15674

I just finished flipping through this book (which was a Christmas present to myself since no one in my family has the imagination to get this book).

It is absolutely fabulous! I have not read a word of text except Chuck Jordans foreword (Mr. Jordan is one of my automotive idols since he designed my beautiful 1963 Cadillac). The pictures alone, many of which I have never seen before, are more than worth the price of the book. Caadillac is prominently featured but I aalso enjoyed the sections on all the other GM lines including the GMC Truck Division.

Anyone who is interested in the "Dreamcars" and in the incredible imagination and optimism that characterized car design and General Motors in the late 1940s and 50s must add this book to their automotive library. I am very pleased with this book!

Happy New Year to everyone!

Lucas F. CLC #15674
1963 Series 62 convertible

Mike Josephic #3877

The book is now available -- Ive had my copy for several weeks.
Just log on to Amazon.com and you can have it shipped today.  Mike

Pat

I recently saw the Buddy Holly story with Gary Busey.  In the movie, he is sitting in a front bench seat Cadillac convertible with no rear seat and a tonneau cover in a NY Cadillac dealership with a 57/58 Eldorado Brougham in the background, any idea what Cadillac model it was?

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588

The car you saw in the movie is the Goodman "Le Mans". I believe it is currently in the Cadillac Historical Collection.

Charles D. Barnette #1465

I agree with Yann, it is indeed the Cadillac LeMans number 4 which had a factory remake in 1959 with quad headlights and fins. It is the "poster child" for the four LeMans made. Charles D. Barnette

Charles D. Barnette #1465

Yann on the Cadillac website you have several pictures of wheelcovers. One of them under "Custom Wheels for Show Cars" is the center disc for the Cadillac LeMans. Did this disc come off one of the LeMans and if so which one? What is the origin of the wheel disc picture of LeMans on our website? Thanks, Charles D. Barnette

mark maron

Just got it new for 19.88 on amazon

David Temple

The car in that movie was number four of four 1953 Cadillac Le Mans show cars built. Le Mans number four was originally built for James Goodman who headed Fisher Body. The car was updated in late 1958/early 1959 with a 1959 Cadillac 390 and had several cosmetic changes done to it. This Le Mans is now part of the GM Heritage Center collection. At the time the movie about Buddy Holly was made, the car was owned by James Goodmans son, Jack.

To be quite honest, Charles, I dont rememember. There are some 40,000 images in my archives, its hard to memorize them all.  Its certainly been cropped (by me) from another document but I cant remember which one, nor when.  I suspect it may be from the Goodman car.

Pat

Is it still considered a 53 Cadillac with a 53 VIN and body tag?

Pat

Quote from: David TempleThe car in that movie was number four of four 1953 Cadillac Le Mans show cars built. Le Mans number four was originally built for James Goodman who headed Fisher Body. The car was updated in late 1958/early 1959 with a 1959 Cadillac 390 and had several cosmetic changes done to it. This Le Mans is now part of the GM Heritage Center collection. At the time the movie about Buddy Holly was made, the car was owned by James Goodmans son, Jack.

David Temple #22,317

Thats an interesting question. The original engine number for the fourth Le Mans was 5300 91300. To my knowledge there was no VIN tag on the body. According to the owner of the third Le Mans, there isnt one on his car so I can only assume none did. The original engine of Le Mans number four was changed to a 1959 390. Would the replacement engine have the original engine number stamped on it? Since the car must have been registered with its engine number, I guess a blank service block would have been used and the original number stamped on it. Thats my guess. Maybe Yann or someone else can tell us what would have been done in this case. When I began researching the history of the Le Mans I wondered the same thing. In fact, I once considered the possibility that only three were built rather than the reported four. My theory was that since the last Le Mans was upgraded with a new engine it might have been reserialed hence four serial numbers but only three cars. However, my research accounted for four actually being built.  David

Pat

Interesting!  Similar issue seems to exist with 57/58 Eldorado Broughams.  Were there 703 or 704 built.  See excerpts from Yanns Database.

1957 Eldorado Brougham
Car #2 was the THIRD Brougham built [chassis #5770-035764]. It was painted bright primrose yellow, a special color [code #0 on the original body tag] that was not included in either the regular color palette for 1957 nor on the special color palette for the new Brougham models. The late Cy Strickler, first President of the Brougham Owners Association (BOA) said the car was used for some time in Cadillacs Engineering Department (possibly as a second test car); it had a fuel injected engine. It appears to have been re-worked, re-painted black and mounted on 1958 chassis #58P-014243, to be sold in 1958 as Brougham #475.  Cy also listed it as belonging, in the late seventies, to Larry Muckey of Muskegon, MI.  At that time, it was reported to be still in fine condition. Larry owned also car #471 (he was of great help to me in piecing together the story of the 1956 Eldorado Brougham town car, special, Motorama model). Late Extra [8/2002] I got this message in the Cadillac Database "Visitors Book" from enthusiast Glen Durmisevich: I owned this car from 1978 to 1984. In addition to Cy Stricklers info, Body #2 had a 1958 VIN #58P014243. Door panels were labeled #475 [which fits the 1958 chassis number]. Previous owners include Francis J. Novak, Larry Muckey [noted above], Dr. Rick Zeiger, and myself. The car rode on springs. I sold it in 1984 to Fred Collins in California. I have photos after I painted this car and used it for my wedding. It would be great if you could send us a couple of them, Glen.

1958 Eldorado Brougham
Car #475 of the 1958 production began life as car #2 of the 1957 production run [see that entry].  This was as the THIRD Brougham built [chassis #5770-035764]. It was painted bright yellow, a special color [code #0 on the original body tag] that was not included in either the regular color palette for 1957 or the special color palette for the new Brougham models. It appears to have been re-worked, re-painted black and mounted on 1958 chassis #58P-014243, to be sold in 1958 as Brougham #475.  Cy also listed it as belonging, in the late seventies, to Larry Muckey of Muskegon, MI.  At that time, it was reported to be still in fine condition. Larry owned also car #471 (he was of great help to me in piecing together the story of the 1956 Eldorado Brougham town car, special, Motorama model). Late Extra [8/2002] I got this message in the Cadillac Database "Visitors Book" from enthusiast Glen Durmisevich: I owned this car from 1978 to 1984. In addition to Cy Stricklers info, Body #2 had a 1958 VIN #58P014243. Door panels were labeled #475 [which fits the 1958 chassis number]. Previous owners include Francis J. Novak, Larry Muckey [noted above], Dr. Rick Zeiger, and myself. The car rode on springs. I sold it in 1984 to Fred Collins in California. I have photos after I painted this car and used it for my wedding. It would be great if you could send us a couple of them, Glen.

A couple of 1957-58 Eldorado Brougham models have been modernised by their owners and retro-fitted with Cadillacs "Northstar" power plant. IMHO, these cars still are considered to be 1957 or 1958 Eldorado Broughams and (I assume) they still carry their original body tag. If sold however, the original VIN (engine number) could  NOT be listed on the title; that document would have to reflect the number of the actual engine in the car. I dont believe that US title documents ever include information taken from a cars body ID plate.

Considering Davids extensive and laudable research for the Motorama book [which is a MUST, guys] it seems obvious that FOUR "Le Mans" were built, not three.  Indeed, we have four VINs (engine numbers) from 1953, not three. The fact that Goodmans car was retro-fitted with a 59 power plant does not alter the fact that its a 53 "Le Mans".

Ive never had a close encounter with any "Le Mans" so I cant tell you if they carried a consecutively numbered body tag or not. Cadillac logic dictates that they SHOULD have been individually tagged if more than one were built.  Unfortunately, I am not privvy to the companys internal policy as regards the numbering of bodies of prototypes and show cars of this caliber.

Another thing to be factored in is that Mr. Earl appears to have had pretty much of a free rein when it came to building "custom" and "special custom" bodies for himself and his close associates. Nevertheless, any "running" car needs a power plant and ALL Cadillac engines are serial-numbered so that, ultimately, ANY "running" Cadillac has an individual VIN.

Initially, however, not ALL four "le Mans" were "running" cars although each one was assigned en engine number. So where does that leave us?