News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Generator parts

Started by arton4wheels, November 01, 2017, 09:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arton4wheels

I am currently restoring the generator on this 1954 331 engine out of my 50.  Upon inspection I found cracks in the insulation on the field coils.  Now Im searching Ebay for the parts I need.  Sometime in this generator's life the Delco part number tag was taken off so I don't have anything to go by.  I could use any information that would help be they the original Delco part # of the generator or the field coil set itself, or any aftermarket numbers for the field coils or field coil kits with all the parts to overhaul a Delco generator of my application.  Turns out EBAY is full of them and they all have different numbers and come in different configurations. 

Has anyone installed an alternator on one of these engines in the original location (bracket off the exhaust manifold)?  What alternator would I want if I bagged the whole generator plan?
Ken
LaPorte, IN

1950 Series 6169

I prefer email over PM  arton4wheels@yahoo.com

arton4wheels

I found on http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/1954-cadillac-331-v8-230hp-generator-specs.cfm what I believe is the proper number for the generator.

I also believe I found on https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-MADE-Delco-Remy-Generator-Field-Coils-12-Volt-30-35-amp-Clockwise-Rotation/151078106643?hash=item232cf4f613:g:BOgAAOxyk99R2gbT&vxp=mtr  the right field coils. 

It also looks like these generators are all very very interchangeable when it comes to the internals.
Ken
LaPorte, IN

1950 Series 6169

fishnjim

You're in the between years either 6 or 12 V, you didn't state voltage.
I think you can still get a rebuilt down at the local NAPA, if 12V.   I got one for my '58.
A good local auto electric shop should also be available to source parts and rebuild/rewind.   U don't have to do everything yourself.
There are 12V alternators made in a generator housing.  Search.
The correct generator part number will be in the Cad parts book or parts in Delco literature.   

arton4wheels

Its 12V clockwise 30 amp so the link I posted earlier said anyway.

I also found this  http://www.gener-nator.com/orders.htm for conversion to alternator using generator housing for the OE look.  Kinda pricey compared to rebuilding my generator but more efficient and more amps.
Ken
LaPorte, IN

1950 Series 6169

Dan LeBlanc

You can buy a Powermaster alternator that looks like a generator for less than half the cost of a Genernator.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Dan LeBlanc

Powermaster is available from Summit Racing, btw.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

arton4wheels

Quote from: fishnjim on November 01, 2017, 11:02:46 AM
You're in the between years either 6 or 12 V, you didn't state voltage.
I think you can still get a rebuilt down at the local NAPA, if 12V.   I got one for my '58.
A good local auto electric shop should also be available to source parts and rebuild/rewind.   U don't have to do everything yourself.
There are 12V alternators made in a generator housing.  Search.
The correct generator part number will be in the Cad parts book or parts in Delco literature.

Geez youre right!  125 bucks at Napa.  It wont be the original look but I could certainly add a Delco tag to it and some other small details. 
Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on November 01, 2017, 01:28:31 PM
You can buy a Powermaster alternator that looks like a generator for less than half the cost of a Genernator.

I don't know which ones you saw, but those things are not cheap like that.  $450 is what I saw.

An ebay seller was selling a 1954 Caddy generator and he says his tag reads Delco part # 1102042 with the serial #6F11
Ken
LaPorte, IN

1950 Series 6169