News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1934 1935 1936 LaSalle Straight Eight Exhaust Manifold

Started by Jim Hughes cLc #17388, July 16, 2014, 07:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hughes cLc #17388

Hello All,

Is there anyone out there who has or knows the whereabouts of a GOOD exhaust manifold for 34-35-36 LaSalles? Ours is cracked and while I do have three other manifolds the might be able to be repaired, I would prefer and unbroken one. Can't quite bring myself to spring for having one made (about $2500.00-$3,000.00) but I guess I can put that on my Christmas wish list.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Jim Hughes
cLc #17300
Jim Hughes

1936 LaSalle 5077

We can't afford a Cadillac so we must drive a LaSalle.........wouldn't have it any other way!

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Jim,

Depending on how badly it is cracked, I have had great success with a process called Metal Spraying.

This process sprays molten metal powder onto the parts, then joins the parts together in the process.

I have joined mild steel to Cast Iron, Cast Iron to Cast Iron, and never had a problem.

I still have some of the Utectic Powder left, but it is VERY heavy, and the process uses a lot of Oxygen and Acetylene.     The Mining Industry, and heavy duty engineering shops use the stuff.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jim Hughes cLc #17388

Hi Bruce,

Betsy and I missed you and Bronnie at the Grand National.  Thanks for the suggestion but the manifold is now a two piece unit with the runner completely broken in half just after the heat riser. I have it wrapped with a piece of sheet brass held in place with band clamps. Kinda works for now.

I have a friend who is a very skilled welder and I'm sure he could repair it but as the manifold is of a very light design with walls that are not very thick I'm not sure how it would clean up without leaving the weld showing.

The E P A (Environmental Protection Agency) probably has outlawed the Utectic Powder use here, at least for civilians like me anyway.

Glad to hear you're on the mend and remember to check the peep hole on the front door before you open it. We just may surprise you some day and knock.

Jim Hughes
cLc #17388

Jim Hughes

1936 LaSalle 5077

We can't afford a Cadillac so we must drive a LaSalle.........wouldn't have it any other way!