News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Where can I buy new complete tube sets for 57 radio?

Started by Renato, October 03, 2014, 04:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renato

R. Bognar

Walter Youshock

Have your original tubes tested first.  Throwing a new set of tubes in the set is probably overkill.   What you really need is to replace the electrolytic and other capacitors and check the resistors.  New tubes won't correct for bad components in the circuits.

After an overhaul,  the set will need to be aligned to work properly.

I have several tube radios and amplifiers still running the original tubes from the '50's and '60's.   All the tubes in the Cadillac radio are also the originals but the caps were replaced.

Your best bet is to find an electronic shop who can rebuild the set for you.  Tube gear is very different than solid state.

Check aaudiokarma.org.  it's a message board dedicated to audio equipment and there's even a car radio section.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Renato

Dear Walter,

Thank you fro your help. My radio works well. Has been rebuild, I just would like to buy for the bad times...as spare parts.
R. Bognar

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

There is a guy on E-Bay that sells replacement tube sets.  I have a set for my
'55 that I bought for the same reason you want one (spares).  Unfortunately,
that was a while ago and I do not remember his name.
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Walter Youshock

The tubes you have will probably outlast the car.  Check antique electronic supply:  www.tubesandmore.com.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Renato

R. Bognar

Doug Houston

I sort of doubt that you'll find a place that has tube sets for any radio.

I hear this inquiry many times, and that isn't such a case of tubes being missing, but of the owner wanting to buy new tubes to maximize the radio's performance.  There are few instances where I've found a tube totally dead in a radio (not in TV sets, however).

There are lots of allegedly new tubes advertised on eBay and such, but they buyer has to accept the integrity of the seller, which is frequently lacking. There are more shysters than  good ones hanging out now. I don't know whom I'd trust.

I don't service  radios any more, but when I did, I'd never replace a tube unless it showed internal shorts, pen filament, of some radical fault. Today, baring any bad faults, I recommend continuing to keep the existing tubes in service. They're becoming less  ans less plentiful.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929