Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1949 vent window seal replacement
« Last post by DouglasM on Today at 07:07:58 AM »
Paul, that will be it. Where is this bolt?

Cheers,

- Douglas
I seem to recall that in the 1955 Service Man bulletins there is a mention of this very condition and it being solved by fine tuning the idle mixture.  As you may know, there are three primary modes of operation for the carb.  First is with the throttle closed -- idle circuits dominate and there is little contribution from the mains.  At the other extreme, the throttle is fully or fairly open, mains dominate and the idle circuits are all but passive.  In the middle is the transition from idle to open throttle.  If the idle circuit is running a little too lean, the engine might still idle reasonably smoothly (although it might run a bit warm).  But the lack of contribution from the idle circuits to the transition during part throttle can cause the engine to be too lean when you are calling for acceleration, leading to stalling. 

Something like that.  I'd suggest you scour the Service Man bulletins for a tech tip like this...

I must be getting old -- the Service Man bulletin says that in early cars the problem might be the accelerator pump, the power valve, and the primary cluster.  They recommended replacement with a mid-year improved version of these parts. 

Still, check the idle adjustments carefully.  Try enriching the idle mixture just a tad and see if it helps.
I seem to recall that in the 1955 Service Man bulletins there is a mention of this very condition and it being solved by fine tuning the idle mixture. I'd suggest you scour the Service Man bulletins for a tech tip like this...
Art is right.  Here is a copy of the Thoro-Check Manual as a tuneup guide to hit all possible points (pardon the tuneup pun).
For Sale / Re: 1977 Sedan deVille - 2,850 miles.
« Last post by D.Smith on Today at 06:32:52 AM »
Seems odd to me someone would order Guidematic Dimming but not Twilight Sentinel.

I like how the car is optioned.  But I'd trade the Dimming for Sentinel.   

Also I'd have ordered the Turbine wheel covers $55.

Thermometer mirror: $27

and Dual comfort seating: $187
Douglas, I'm assuming you did remove the bolt that secures the vent window frame to the crank mechanism? If you missed it, you won't be able to push the frame down to clear the pivot pin. Just a thought.
General Discussion / Re: 1973 De Ville Convertible
« Last post by Eldorado James on Today at 06:19:53 AM »
LOL.....How about turning a 1972 Coupe DeVille into a convertible (actual conversion for a stage prop!).   They sure put it through the weight loss clinic!  Video on YouTube if you want to see the car from start to finish.

EJ
Now those (on white 1985) were actually made for the 1977-78 Eldorado (and would work on yours)...so in that situation the rims are much stronger than needed......that guy had to use wheel adapters though, to make the 5x4.75 up to 5x5".  Those early aluminums were rated around 1250-1500 pound capacity, making 5000-6000 total...basically an Eldorado with 2-3 people in it max.  Cuts it close!  ::) ::)  They have gotten so much better since then as aluminum technology has progressed.   There are modern rims that have the 5x5 patterns or you can also have some wheels custom drilled for bolt patterns.   Needs to have a good offset though... I doubt anybody is making them in 6" width per original GM steel wheels.
Want To Buy / Re: Radio blank buttons for 1940 lasale
« Last post by amolnayak on Today at 05:13:55 AM »
Also sorry to hear about Dan Whalen.  Amol, the channel buttons are clear plastic.  Different from the ivory or gray of the other plastic in 40.

Hi Brad I actually don't have a radio on the car. This is how my car came originally from the factory. I dont intend to put one either. So i have grey/ivory blank plastic plate where the transparent radio buttons should be. Sad to hear that someone like Dan Whalen who was supporting our hobby has passed away. I hope his daughter continues his good work I can contact her if Bruce or someone who knows the family can confirm.

Find attached photos of the blank plate i need. Tom thank you for the number.

Restoration Corner / Re: 1969 DeVille Convertible Project
« Last post by sturner50502 on Today at 02:40:22 AM »
Hello Steve,

A few decades ago I had a '69 convertible.  Even though they are very similar, I like the '69s more so than the 70s.  I appreciate the fact that you have chosen to do a "resurrection/reincarnation" of your car.

From photo number 2, showing the headrests, I might guess that the car spent some time outside, topless.  I would therefore spend some time thoroughly examining the floor pan (remove the seats) and trunk pan (remove the spare tire and trunk liner).  There is solid, and then there is "as solid as it looks" - which, from the photos, doesn't look too solid.

On this body style, the lower front fenders are prone to rust, but this is a relatively easy fix.  Leaking convertibles in general might have rust issues in the floor, trunk, and rear quarter.

Before spending any money on any restoration, even if it just to get the car road-worthy, do a thorough, and I mean no-stone-unturned thorough assessment/inventory of the car.  Listing all that needs to be repaired/replaced first will help you establish a budget and timeline.  You can then decide if this car is worth the time and money.

I bought my '67 Sedan DeVille knowing that it needed some work, including rust repair of the front fenders and around the rear window.  Being a hardtop, my interior needs no work other than cleaning and conditioning.  I am doing all my own work.  When I finish my '67, my next Cadillac may well be a '69 convertible.  Good luck with your project, and keep us posted.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the tips! You are correct the car was left outside, with the top down.  The first thing I did with the car was remove the seats, carpeting, and door panels. I brushed , scraped and cleaned the floor pans and find they have very little rust; just a couple of small holes. The rust is minor enough to be repaired with a tube of the epoxy that is made for repairing metal. I also checked the trunk and the pant has no rust issues at all. I guess that's the good part about southern California, we don't get much rain.

The lower front fenders do have some rust that I will have taken care of at the body and paint stage.

I am currently getting the seats re-upholstered. I purchased the seat covers from OPGI. When the seats are finished and installed I will post some before and after photos.

Thanks again,

Steve 
Restoration Corner / Re: 1969 DeVille Convertible Project
« Last post by sturner50502 on Today at 02:26:00 AM »
Welcome Sturner,

What did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?  I bought my 67 this last fall and though it is further along than yours; I'm sure your going to love it.  Mine isn't a concourse or restore job; but its on its way to being totally road worthy.  I like your comment about being "road worthy and something that you will enjoy driving.  The little bit I can recommend (depending on the direction you want to go) is EFI.  It was expensive, but fairly easy to install and makes the car cold start and drive wonderfully every time.

I paid $1500 for it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10