Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 70 Deville Seat Belt Pass-Through
« Last post by The Tassie Devil(le) on Yesterday at 07:30:03 PM »
Boy, wish I had seen those when I had to retrofit seat belts to a '69 SDV that had been reupholstered, and the upholsterer had discarded the plastic pieces.

I created a sleeve in the actual upholstery, and fed that through the cushioning.

Bruce. >:D
Technical / Authenticity / Re: Flathead manifolds
« Last post by tturley on Yesterday at 07:22:31 PM »
Those look very interesting. They list for a 346 Cadillac but I am sure the 322 Lasalle is they same.
Wonder why no crossover included
I don't buy the showroom story.   If they had a leaker it'd go back in the lot or repair bay.   We used to go to all the annual new car showings and I can only remember one leaking coolant(chevy) and they moved it out.   
« Last post by tripwire on Yesterday at 06:51:14 PM »
You might look at these gaskets.  I've heard good reports from some people that have used them.

http://catalog.remflex.com/

From the website: "Remflex Performance Promise

• Seals Warped Flanges:
Remflex exhaust gaskets come in a standard 1/8-inch thickness and are designed to crush 50%. This allows them to fill gaps in the flange surface up to 1/16-inch! Remflex Performance Promise

• Won’t Burn Out:
100% flexible graphite construction means Remflex gaskets are good for up to 3,000 degrees F—far exceeding that of any vehicle’s exhaust system temperature!

• No Re-Torquing Necessary:
Remflex exhaust gaskets rebound 30%, creating an optimum seal that eliminates the need to re-torque!

About Remflex
Remflex’s unique flexible graphite material has been proven for more than 30 years in industrial applications, where temperatures routinely exceed 2,000 degrees—day after day, week after week, year after year. Now, we’re bringing this technology to enthusiasts of all kinds to eliminate exhaust leaks for good! Whether you have an old pick-up that needs a manifold gasket, or a race car with custom-built headers, you can be assured that Remflex exhaust gaskets will work properly the first time, every time.

The Science
Remflex gaskets work because they solve the two main problems associated with sealing an exhaust flange: Warping, and gasket failure."

WParo in VT
included buyer premium was told crowd was light at sale
Listen to Greg, he knows all---
When dropping the oil pan you may need to rotate the engine to get the counterweights out of the way. I tried everything and finally gave up on that part (I do that very rarely) and was told this after the fact.
Take pictures of how it comes apart so you have them when you go to put it back together.... do not rely on your memory. Take pictures.
Also, take a picture if the timing marks when you are done. If you have issues after the fact you will be asked if the timing is off.... this way you will be sure. Then again I am a little ocd so that helps me.
You may lose knuckle skin on the radiator when taking the fan bolts out. Just remember a job isn't done until you draw a little blood.
Don't put the fan on backwards.
Jeff
« Last post by Steve Passmore on Yesterday at 04:59:51 PM »
Some of what Bobby? the pyro putty?  That's a Stirling idea :)
Cat,
Thi operation has been previously described multiple times.  The short version is, if you need to replace the timing set, you probably have plastic debris from the old cam gear in the oil pan.  That said, the prescribed process is like this;
1. drop the exhaust by disconnecting the pipes at the exhasust manifolds.
2. Drop the steering drag link at the pitman arm.
3. remove the oil pan.
4.remove the water pump.
5. Remove the crankshaft pulley and damper.
6. Remove the crankshaft hub.
7. remove the timing cover.
8.Unbolt the rocker arm stands to relieve pressure on the cam shaft so it can be rotated (be careful with the push rods).
9. Remove oil slinger from the crankshaft nose (should slide right off-remember how it went on).
10.pull the gear off the crankshaft-It is just a tight, slide on fit.
11. Unbolt and remove the camshaft gear- be sure and use these same bolts when re installing the gear.
12.Follow the instructions that come with the timing set for installation.
Installation is the reverse of the above.
Greg Surfas

General Discussion / Re: Yann Saunders
« Last post by Bill Young on Yesterday at 04:17:02 PM »
I have never met him but like others I owe him a great debt of gratitude .
« Last post by Bobby B on Yesterday at 04:08:53 PM »
We can get that here Bobby but its only rated at 400f. Nowhere near the 2400f of  "Pyro-Putty"  I did try JB for the very repair in question a few years back and when I checked it after 6 months it was powdery, rather like body filler. Guess that area gets to more than 400f. So it was back to block skimming.

Steve,
If you want some, I'll send it over the pond when my neighbor goes back home to visit......
                                                                                                                       Bobby

https://www.amazon.com/Pyro-Putty-2400-Metal-Sealer/dp/B00AKJF2KO
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]