Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Want To Buy / 1984 Eldorado Red leather front seats and dash pad
« Last post by firesubc on Yesterday at 05:06:27 AM »
Looking to buy red leather front seats  and top dash pad for my 84 Eldorado Barritz ASC rebuild
im in NJ
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1937 346 basic tests
« Last post by Glen on Yesterday at 04:03:51 AM »
I like to know the source of things like that, so I did a google search.  The article is on a lot of other car sites as far back as 2004.
-
Two sites cited the source as: 
John Hinckley
Retired GM/Chrysler Engineer
-
Several cited John Z
-
And one cited:
TIMING AND VACUUM ADVANCE 101 (from October/November 2003 issue of "Corvette Enthusiast" magazine, written by JohnZ)

One site had a lot of info after what was shown here.  Maybe part of the original article, maybe not. 
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/vacuum-advance-hooked-up-directly-manifold-bad-47495.html
Glen
« Last post by The Tassie Devil(le) on Yesterday at 02:47:38 AM »
The only Cadillac design worth changing is the Anti-pollution Era.

BUT, if one has to have the Anti-pollution stuff operational, then one is stuck.

Bruce. >:D
« Last post by Steve Passmore on Yesterday at 02:17:16 AM »
That's a fantastic article Bobby, clears up a lot of things but has little connection with one of the questions here.    It was asked if vacuum can be connected directly to the manifold somewhere or to the correct position at the base of the carb. Both of these positions would seem the acceptable 'Below the Venturi valve' position according to the article. The other anti-pollution era position above the valve is academic to the engine in question, but as Brad said, why change the Cadillac design?
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1955 Transmission Fluid Change
« Last post by Roger Zimmermann on Yesterday at 02:02:55 AM »
The colorof that oil seems more braun than red. I would replace the fluid and at the same time, remove the lower oil pan from the transmission. It will give an idea about the health of it: probably grey stuff (from the friction disks) and no metallic debris: replace the cleaned pan with a new gasket.
General Discussion / Re: White Smoke when driving my 57 Caddy
« Last post by Roger Zimmermann on Yesterday at 01:56:47 AM »
It's probably not relevant right now as it's summer time: when cold, some white smoke is coming from the exhaust, it's just vapor...
When the valve behind the starter motor from my '56 de Ville went bad, the smoke at the exhaust was also white even if oil was burnt.
General Discussion / Re: 72 Eldorado Engine - Rebuild or Replace?
« Last post by The Tassie Devil(le) on Yesterday at 01:14:59 AM »
Mine ran beautifully at 75 MPH on the Massachusetts Freeway, and everywhere else, but when I pulled the engine down when I got home, the timing chain was totally worn out, and all the nylon teeth were missing.

Oh, yes, I had lots of little oil leaks, which is the reason I pulled the engine.   To replace the gaskets and clean it up, plus replace the Welsh Plugs.   Didn't notice the chain till I removed the cover.

These engines will run forever, no matter how old or worn out they are.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Plus I repacked the CV Joints.
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1955 Transmission Fluid Change
« Last post by Carl Fielding on Yesterday at 01:00:34 AM »
I have logical proof of the following if you need it : CHANGE YOUR TRANSMISSION FLUID AND FILTER IF THERE IS ONE. NOW ! Low hanging fruit. Any rubber vacuum lines if such were used. It has been a very long time since I sold my last '50s Cad. Can't remember what made 'em tick. By the time you are through , you will know more so than most. Assume very little , and remember about timely stitches ! You are the kind of guy I have deepest respect for. I LOVE 4 doors. If they are hanging off a Cadillac , so much the better ! Thanks for saving a tough one , (no where near as tough as that rusty '60 4 door , though) , when you might have been able to take the cheap easy way out ! You guys are heroic brave men !  - Carl
Technical / Authenticity / Re: Timing Chain Question
« Last post by Glen on Yesterday at 12:50:29 AM »
General Discussion / Re: 72 Eldorado Engine - Rebuild or Replace?
« Last post by abriddell on Yesterday at 12:22:30 AM »
Bobby asked,
"Does it run fine with a decent amount of power, regardless of the hemorrhaging?"

Yes, it runs nicely.  I don't have any trouble getting up to speed on an onramp or accelerating to pass another car.  In fact, it runs great at 75 mph on the highway.  If anything, I go easier on the acceleration than what the car has to give.

Compression and leak down test... that will be very interesting to see what turns up. 

Andrew Briddell
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]