News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Wanted: Factory's instructions on dealer-installed rear window defogger 1971-6

Started by Tom Hall 7485, February 14, 2008, 08:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Hall 7485

Besides the ceramic grid rear window defogger that was installed at the factory, a basic heater and blower sort of like a hair dryer were available as a dealer-installed option for many 1971-6 Cadillacs. Probably available on other GM brands as well.

Can anyone provide me a copy of GM's instructions to the dealer regarding installation?

Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

Lee71CoupeDV

Tom,

Perhaps I can help you with this... I have a 1971 Coupe DeVille in Casablanca Yellow with Jade vinyl top and Jade Leather interior that I acquired in October 2006. Paint is original to 1971 (made in 02/71). I was actually able to find a 1971 Cadillac post card of the same car in my color combination. Car has 54,000 original miles and I am in the process of adding factory and dealer installed options to it.  I have been adding the factory cruise control, electric door locks, electric seat back lock releases, guidematic, sentinel, wonderbar am/fm stereo, auxillary 8-track player under dash, trunk pull down/electric release, four-note horm option, and the rear window defogger (fan blown air) option to the car.  Two years ago, I was able to come across a NOS rear window defogger package pretty much complete in the box except for the dash mounted switch.  I believe it is probably more set up to be used on the '74-76 Deville, but the schematic and grille template were enclosed which should guide me through the installation. I now have a '71-73 switch, and the grille/blower mechanism is the same for '71-76. I think the rear window electric grid type of defroster/defogger didn't become available until '73 on the Deville from what I have observed in slavage yard excursions. The papers are a bit fragile, but I have scanned them on my computer into six Adobe PDF files.

I am new to posting on this forum, so if I cannot post them here, I will try sending an email direct to you.

Do you have any information or photos on the exact location of where the wonderbar footswitch mounts on a 1971 Cadillac DeVille?

Regards,

Barry L. Smith
Barry Smith Morgantown, WV 
CLC#24718 
1995 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Lee71CoupeDV

Tom,

Here goes a try of the Adobe files of the defogger instructions/schematic/template date 07-16-73.

Barry L. Smith
CLC#24718 
1995 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Lee71CoupeDV

Tom,

Try #2 for page two.

Barry L. Smith

CLC#24718 
1995 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Lee71CoupeDV

Tom,

Try #3, Page 3.

Barry L. Smith
CLC#24718 
1995 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Lee71CoupeDV

CLC#24718 
1995 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Lee71CoupeDV

CLC#24718 
1995 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Lee71CoupeDV

Tom,

Page 2 of grid template.

Barry L. Smith
CLC#24718 
1995 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Tom Hall 7485

Thank you very much.  I'm sure this is basically the rig for all 1971-6 cars on which this could be installed.
There are more types of switches possible than I expected!
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.